1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Low heart rate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Air Langhi, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I got instant heart rate app on my android phone. Many times it tells me my heart rate is in the low 50s. Usually when I take my pulse it is in the low 60s. I am just guessing there is a bit of uncertainty in the app, but the method used by the app is well known and their methodology is sound.Is there anything bad that can cause a low heart rate?

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

Isn't 60-100 normal? Also well conditioned athletes have low heart rates. I remember reading lance Armstrong has a resting heart rate in the 40s

3. Mr. Brightside

Do you exercise a lot? If you are a runner, your heart rate will be low. Mine for example is about 58 bpm. I run at least 30 miles per week.

4. BenVR4

BenVR4 Member

It means your heart is pumping a lot more blood on a per pump basis and doesn't need to pump as fast to maintain the optimum level of circulation. i.e. your stroke volume is solid

It's a good thing

5. bnb

bnb Member

Are you questioning your heart or the app?

because a low 60's heart rate isn't that unusual if you're fit.

6. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

Try to check it on a blood pressure machine and see how it compares to the app

7. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

Certain death.

8. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Like others have said, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad. Even though the normal range is 60-100, athletes usually have lower than normal rates. If you're is in the 50-60s, but you're not feeling any of them normal symptoms, such as tiredness, dizziness, shortness of breath, etc., then you should be okay.

9. RV6

RV6 Member

Mine is 60...like others have said, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

10. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

Check your BP also. is any irregular beat? Like mentioned if no dizziness, fatigue, nausea..you should be alright.

11. heypartner

heypartner Member

yeah, are you questioning the app? If so, just take your pulse the old fashion way.

btw: the best (simple to measure) test of a strong heart is to first stress it and get your rate up to your maximum rate...which is around 140-165. Then sit down and measure how long it takes you to get your heart rate back to its resting rate. 5 minutes is considered excellent.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

60 is ok low 50s is really weird since I don't run.

13. heypartner

heypartner Member

What is your pulse rate if you take it yourself?

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

When you go to the doctor, what is your usual heart rate that they measure?

15. Tenchi

Tenchi Member

Mine is around 38. Should go to the doctor but mine said as long as I don't feel faint or have any other issues then its fine.