1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lovie Smith Fired

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Htown Legend, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Qan

Qan Member

Racist racist racist racism... let it all out.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

The Dallas cowboys have never hired a black HC

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They looked pretty stoked to play for him yesterday…

These leaks are designed to try and paint the firing even more “for cause”… they don’t really need to do that.

5. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

but all they got to do is stop being a ****-show.

Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL … The leaks/finger pointing/excuses…

No, they aren’t racist, just incompetent.
    (Rockets aren’t racist either when they fire Silas within the next year)
    “He lost the locker room!”
    (Culley) “Philosophical differences!”

You made two **** hires that shouldn’t have been made in the first place…so just stop with the blame game, finger pointing and excuses.

#346 J.R., Jan 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
  7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

No, you don’t do this. I’m pissed off at this team, it’s FO, it’s culture, everything, enough as it is.

1. I love how you say BOB was 9,9, 9, and 4… like you conveniently leave off that he was 11, 10, and 0 (fired after 4 games) right after that. He also won the division 2 out of those first 4 and was 2nd in his first year. Also, I HATE bill obrien. He was pompous, an *******, pretended he was smartest guy in the room, and sucked at his job, all while digging us into a hole. But don’t act like he had anywhere NEAR the same start as Culley or Lovie. Yes he was mediocre and yes I cheered when we fired him.

2. David Culley should never have even sniffed a head coaching job. He was literally one of the worst in the league at being a position coach. He’s lucky to get any offer. And all 31 other teams are racist for not hiring him after us.

3. lovie was our DC, he was bad, we kept him because no one wanted the job, EVERYONE, including Lovie, knew this was short term. Cmon.

4. so basically, in order to be fair and not racist, you have to hire a black coach, but also be in a perfect situation, with no punishment for sucking. Doesn’t matter what happened to Hackett tho, he’s white.

5. finally, I really didn’t want to make it racist, I hate this team right now, I hate our decisions, and I don’t see a pleasant path forward anytime soon. But to pile on to the dumpster fire amidst all this that it’s racist to hire and fire lovie when we are just a poorly run organization in general is just ridiculous. I don’t care that the colts got flack for hiring Saturday, it was 1/10th the flack we have gotten while at least giving an opportunity.

Please answer me this: Neither of our last 2 coaches should have even been hired due to their ability and experience, not color, do you agree? If so, what should we have done? Because hiring McCown was also racist, and I was against that too, I wanted Saleh or Daboll. So what do you think should have happened that makes sense and was good for Texans.

Slyonebluejay and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The Texans feel like a dumb organization more than an inherently racist one.

Could be both, but they are certainly stupid and stupidity alone could have gotten them to this same spot.

megastahr, IBTL and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

A chance at a franchise QB so soon after losing one?

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I can’t be racist. I pay a black barber to cut my hair

STR8Thugg, Rudyc281 and liveguy like this.
  11. liveguy

liveguy Member

They had two black head coaches (several makes it sound like they made true efforts) and both were hired on massive downturns and fired after one season….Back to Back. (Interim's don't count)

They had a WHOLE LOTTA patience with every other HC they hired…makes you wonder.

GM lost internal power struggle with a supremely mediocre coach and resigned and that resignation is the exact moment when the Texans went from consistent Mid to consistent cellar dwelling.

The curse of Rick carries on to this day.

Definitely don't disagree with you because the Texans problem starts at the top and the front office has ALWAYS been the problem……

Hiring coaches they knew were set up to fail just so they can say ‘we checked a box’ is the reason why they deserve ALL the heat coming their way.

12. liveguy

liveguy Member

Exactly this.

13. Salvy

Salvy Member

I don't know who Lovie Smith is but I am saddened he will not be retiring a Texan... I'm sure he was really good at whatever it was he did.

14. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Cry more.

15. liveguy

liveguy Member

Sure thing, “Nick on a Mobile” haha

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I see the Cal & Nick PR offensive has begun. When the spotlight is shining on your fu*kups place the blame on the black guy.

17. a time to chill

18. Major

Major Member

Yet they played their best football the last 5 weeks of the season, going toe-to-toe with the Cowboys and Chiefs and then winning 2 of their last 3.

Shark44 and Nook like this.
  19. liveguy

liveguy Member

Caserio just talks in circles and cliches.

“i’m gonna hold myself accountable”

Then fire yourself, bruh!

He needs to go.

When teams have bad reputations to players (and coaches), they only sign good players via the draft and trades and these players that are forced to play out contracts IMMEDIATELY leave once they are free agents.

That’s why bad teams stay bad for long periods of time.

No FA’s of note are clamoring to play here.

The Texans are FIRMLY on that ‘bad reputation’ hamster wheel and will be for a LONG time.

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I think what should have happen is they hire a qualified white coach/qualified black coach over culley. Then run a sham coaching search with mcclown in mind after two years.

If the goal was mcclown in the first place, I think this is the way to go that will create the least amount of fuss. There will always be fuss, we have the weird desire to hire an unqualified white dude.

Instead we hired an unqualified black coach that no one would ever hire as hc, and then an outdated minority token coach a year after. Firing and hiring a minority coach after one year twice is not good optics especially if they hire mcclown after this.

They could have also ignored the crowd and hire mcclown from the getgo and the crowd would have been silence if we went against all odds and started winning enough to give the crowd hope. (Extremely unlikely)

Hey Now! and liveguy like this.