1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Love for Mutombo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Toast, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Toast

Toast Member

Last night vs. Golden State - 4 points. 10 rebounds. But most important, 4 blocks.

For the season, Deke has 69 blocks. Last night (in a Rockets uniform, mind you) he takes 3rd place all time* in blocked shots behind Hakeem Olajuwon & Kareem Abdul-Jabar.

I'm a little disappointed I haven't read an NBA article that mentions it. And I'm a little surprised not even our local sports news made mention of it.

As Houstonians who LOVED watching Dream climb to #1 all time in blocks, we know what an accomplishment that is, right?

Congrats Deke. Glad you made it to #3 blocking shots FOR us instead of against us.

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I was disappointed it wasn't announced during the game when he did it. If an opposing player accomplished something like that in Toyota Center I'd certainly applaud them were it announced.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

Its amazing how far Hakeem is ahead of everyone else.

Deke obviously has no shot at catching him.

The only one who has a remote chance is Duncan. If averages 3 blocks a game for the next 8 years................he'd come close

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They mentioned that he was about to take over third place during the broadcast of the Sacremento game. Its good for Mutombo. I hated it when we first picked him up but love the way he has been playing inspired ball for us. There are times where he is playing as good or better than anyone else on the floor.

5. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

Good post Toast,

I was going to post a similiar "Dikembe Appreciation Thread" yesterday watching the game. The guy gets to work whenever he comes in and seems to be overlooked alot when he is posting up. Yet, he doesn't get down or pouts, he continues to work as hard as he can trying to get those offensive boards.

Stuart

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

a small bit of trivia I have no link to it just my own memory since the play has been burnt into my mind:

Who did Dream block to break the record?

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

But his best ever was 2.9 so I don't think he's going to get there unless he gets some serious longevity going.

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

A.C. Green

9. DanTanna

DanTanna Contributing Member

And his teef went flying out!

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Yes. Somebody throw him some cookies.

11. benvolio

benvolio Member

Having a 'true' center in the NBA is rare these days, having two true centers who can play is awesome. I have not seen any Shaq\Mouring games but that is the only duo that comes to mind as potentially being in the same class.

Mutombo got my vote for best CD move. Just imagin the pressure on Yao if he didn't have Mt. M behind him.

12. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

AC Green...... gosh i hope he's married.

13. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I can tell you he's not a virgin any more.

14. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

I am sure Mutombo appreciates the love but he'd probably like the sex even more. :)

Kidding aside, from day 1, I've thought Deke could still play. He is a major piece on this team. Wihout Deke, we could have easily lost several games which put us right on the bubble.

15. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Grats to you for breaking the guy in.

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

No thanks, you gave me the credit I don't deserve. Meanwhile, AC Green is as straight as an NBA player could possibly be.

17. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

i must say, i have been surprised by what he can do...especially at his age!! most ppl are thinking abt retiring and he still has the drive.

18. Tree Rollins

Tree Rollins Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=250314009

"Houston's Dikembe Mutombo had four blocks to move past Mark Eaton and into third place on the NBA's career blocked shots list with 3,065. Blocks became an official NBA stat in 1973-74. ... "

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

codell wins gosh that was one of the few days when a rocket game on nba on a sunday was worth watching (what was that ungodly streak of losses on nbc sunday the rockets had?)

20. rw7183

rw7183 Contributing Member

My favorite thing about Deke last night was one play he made. I forget which quarter it was but he stepped out to 3 point line to contest a 3 pointer, left the TV screen, then 2 seconds later you saw him flying back in to make a rebound. That's the kind of effort you love.