1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Louisiana makes it law that 10 commandments be displayed in public classrooms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 19, 2024.

1. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

MAGA Christians are all like "**** those Beatitudes. Woke mother****er"

2. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Gay people haven't been oppressed? Are you kidding me?Seriously?

3. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Hey I'm fine with it as long as they put up the Seven Tenants of Satanism, The five pillars of Islam, etc.

4. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Yep. Kids in HISD can just hop a bus to the Woodlands or something...

5. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Dude you are talking about NYC where public transportation is plentiful. This is Texas where public transportation is absolutely terrible.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

tinman likes this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Member

Can SCWs actually read?

Exodus 20:3
    You shall have no other gods before me.

By all means let us promote polytheism in our K-12 public schools!

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

There is already a thread about school vouchers. This one is about religion in school. But, briefly:

The way the proposed Texas voucher works -- and similar programs enacted in the South -- the voucher does not cover the whole cost of education. They're talking about ~$10k when private school education runs $20-35k. It is big enough for a family of moderate means to go private but not enough for a family of little means. It also isn't big enough to spur the private school industry to cater to the inner city market or anything like that. As conceived by Abbott at least, school choice will be choice for middle class kids and posters of the 10 commandments for the poor.

I actually like school choice in theory, but I hate half-measures. Abbott's half-measure is going to cause a run-up in the cost of K-12 private education (but, man!, they will have some nice buildings!) just like the injection of government money ruined college and healthcare, while the public option will become daycare decorated with In God We Trust and 10 Commandments posters.

dmoneybangbang and Andre0087 like this.
  9. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

Hence the vast majority of people taking advantage of school vouchers are people that already have their kids in private schools. Big surprise, I know...

11. Nook

Nook Member

I am a product of a Jesuit school - yes the education where I went was superior, but we didn't really have the Ten Commandments in the classroom. We took a class on world religions and there was mass 3 times a year, but it was optional.

So yes - the education can be better. Then again, where I went to school, they could hand pick which students they wanted, and got rid of anyone that they didn't like. Everyone had money or involved parents and the staff was huge. Lots of advantages.

I don't have an issue with private schools that are religious or secular existing - but that should not extent to the public-school arena. I know Jews that will not sue other Jews, they let their rabbi decide. I know Muslims that do the same thing. I think it is crazy - but that is a choice they made, they decided they wanted a religious figure to decide their issues. I would have a real issue if this was happening in the government or public sector though.

I would have this same issue if every school had a photo of Chairmen Mao on the wall in a public school.

mdrowe00, B-Bob, deb4rockets and 2 others like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

How about both?

Both are fascist.

I definitely do not want a group of old white men telling me what to believe about God and claims that religious books written over 2000 years ago should control every freedom and action I can take.

I also do not need a group of idealogues dictating what is and isn't proper policy and what is and isn't acceptable practices based on their extremist agenda. It is the same train of thought we saw in Cambodia. It is extremism and dangerous.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

DEI notions of Equity over Equality requires some one or group with the biggest stick to decide who deserves more equity...

It's pure hogwash, and those at the top propagating it implicitly expose their true feelings by grabbing whatever they can hand over fist before the jig is up. This list include Robin DiAngelo, Ibram X. Kendi, and the leaders of BLM.

#253 Invisible Fan, Jun 25, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

15. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Most folk with kids in these religious private schools do this because the public schools are poorly managed and the class thing.
    Same reason when you stay at the four seasons and these cheapskates stay at Howard Johnson
    @AroundTheWorld

Salvy likes this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

Jesus… fascist just gets tossed around now…

DEI is the same train of thought as the ideology that led to the genocide by Pol Pot….? Is that what you are suggesting?

DEI and theocracy is the same level? Is that what you are suggesting?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

That’s how most things work….

18. dmoneybangbang

Because Abbott and Co targeted fellow GOP lawmakers who opposed school vouchers with a well funded campaign.

https://www.cbsnews.com/texas/news/...eaders-target-own-members-in-primary-battles/

Unsurprisingly the “Christians” didn’t really care about lying since money and power was involved so they made the GOP incumbents appear radical. Abbot needs to read the Ten Commandments at some point…

Andre0087 likes this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

As the "Christian" right gets increasingly Old Testament, while seeing the New Testament as liberal hogwash, will they actually have to revisit the term Christian, or just pretend that he was right there with Moses, like two lilly white buddies -- one with white beard, one with a nice brown beard, riding dinosaurs?

They need to be called Abrahamians? Mosesons? Help me out here.

20. Nook

Nook Member

I'll ask Ken Ham and get back to you.

I can promise that whichever direction they decide to go - it will be memorialized in a massive theme park where the indoctrination will go down like a pill with honey.

mdrowe00 likes this.