1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Lost a friend to cancer today

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HOOP-T, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

It sounds like Radon, a naturally occuring radioactive gas that comes from soil, water (but who knows). I'm sorry that he past away, but I doubt he could have prevented it. There's just way too many things out there that can cause cancer - like peanut butter for example.

RIP.

2. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

Manny, condolences and prayers to you and yours.

3. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

My thoughts are with you and yours.

4. Jeffster

Jeffster Contributing Member

"Fecal Occult"?? :eek: That may very well be the most disturbing phrase ever.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Hoop. I really agree with your inspiring words. I may have a blood clot in my leg, I am waiting for results actually, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about how I'm spending my time.

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I was watching a special just the other day on the advances they have made in treating cancer. Some cancers that were almost certainly killers 30 years ago have survival rates in the 90% range.

They were going through all these different paths of research that they are currently looking into.

Some of the more interesting were:

1. They are developing viruses that attack only cancerous cells.
    2. They are developing ways to cut of blood supply to tumors without damaging the surrounding areas, thus killing the tumor.
    3. One of the more interesting: Technology companies HP and IBM are developing nanotechnology...little pieces of silicon programmed to attach to cancer cells. Once attached they act as an RFID for those particular cells. They can then send a certain wavelength of laser pointed only at those silicone nanobytes to destroy the nanobyte as well as the cancerous cell they are attached to. Intersting stuff on the molecular level. Its 20 years away in humans, but they can do it in petri dishes already.

Also, even though this person died from a more aggresive form of cancer, colon cancer is treatable if caught early.

Start getting fecal exams at 40 and your colonoscopies at 50. Earlier if there is family history. EAT FIBER...if you don't eat enough vegetables and whole grain, take some metamucil or other fiber every day. It not only is great for your colon health, it also cuts your risk of heart disease and helps you lose weight. (the fiber sticks to fat cells and passes them through) I used to get lots of stomach problems from eating poorly. The combo of taking fiber and eating more veggies has put those problems to rest. Plus...it makes great poops. :)

ALso, for your prostate: GET YOUR PSA every year. its the cheapest blood test around...in fact, tons of clinics give free ones.

#45 Supermac34, Aug 17, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  6. tigereye

tigereye Member

HOOP T, sorry to hear about your loss, I send my condolences, Kevin will be in my prayers.

One a related note, I know how you feel regarding the sudden shock of being diagnosed, and then losing life. My Grandfather lived a long and healthy life. At 67, he was very active doing home improvemnt side work in the dead heat of summer, even painting houses. One night at a party, he started have stomach pains and then nausea followed. A trip to the doctor revealed he had Pancreatic Cancer, and it was Terminal. He passed on a few months afterwards.....It was quite a shock to see a once vigorous elderly gentleman's health descend so quickly. It made me think, one day, despite how we take care of ourselves, this could shockingly happen to us. Since then, I do checkups 4 times a year with my primary care physician and will continue to do so for the rest of my life. After all, with cancer, the earlier you catch it, the better chance you have to beat it......

7. slickvik69

slickvik69 Contributing Member

:( My brother had testicular cancer when he was 15 but thank God he made it. Definitely cancer is the scariest word to me and it reminds you that every day can be your last, so live life to the fullest

8. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Seems like for every story of loss, there is also a story of a survivor. My girlfriend's mother was diagnosed in 2001 with stage 4 ovarian cancer (which is a silent and deadly form that normally, when they do find it, it's too late). They gave her 6-8 months to live. She had surgery after surgery to remove what they could and then chemotherapy. She was also accepted to MD Anderson for experimental treatment (stem cell).

Before she was admitted for the treatment at MD Anderson, she had a checkup with one of their doctors to see where she stood. Lo and behold, they said she was cancer free, in remission, without the stem cell treatment. Amazing.

9. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Just saw this,
    My prayer and sympathy to your friend's family and to you.

God bless you in this difficult time.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

HOOP-T, you are correct. My mother in-law was diagnosed with lung cancer and at one point was told to say her goodbyes because she didn't have long to live. They even took one "last" family trip to California. Five years later, she walked with her husband and daughter down the aisle, cancer in remission. :)

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

AWESOME! I didn't know that!

12. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I am one of the fortunate ones to survive melanoma.

My wife spotted it while scratching my back. Had it been given 6 months it would have spread throughout. That was 5 years ago.

This year, I saw my son graduate HS and will soon see him attend college. I'm happy to be alive.

13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

My father in law found out he had cancer 3 months ago. They told us he would have 3 more good months then things would go down hill fast.

Last saturday was 3 months.

Yesterday he had a stroke and can no longer move the right side of his body and his speech is slurred and he can only get out a word or 2 at a time.

Mostly he's confined to yes and no answers.

His was lung cancer that spread everywhere.

Cancer is a b****. Pass me the chicken fried steak I want a heart attack.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i watched my grandmother die of lung cancer..and i say this all the time.

15. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Unfortuantely many factors contributing to heart attack also cause stroke. I can attest caring for a loved one suffering from stroke takes tremendous tolls on the family members.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It makes you just want to live.

Sorry for your loss HOOP-T. It's a terrible thing. Uncanny how his doctors were able to calculate how long he had before things "went south." Trust me, they are usually wrong one way or another.

17. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

That's awesome, and very inspiring to say the least.

I think the hardest part of all of this is seeing your friend/loved one just waste away from the cancer. I was able to see Kevin in his last week or so, and he had lost so much weight. He was up and about, slowly, at the time. I (and another mutual friend) was the last person outside the family to see him, so I probably saw him at his worst outside of family members too. After that, he was throwing up and in so much pain....they had to put him on some really strong pain and nausea drugs. He slept out his final week for the most part. Eventually, he just didn't wake up. I was relieved that he passed on in peace and without pain though.