1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

lost 4 inches of vert?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TexanJohn, May 27, 2002.

Tags:
  1. TexanJohn

TexanJohn Member

I keep hearing about how Ming has lost 4 inches of vertical leap by working out too hard with the weights (squats).

Is this true? If so, should we purchase some of those odd looking "jumping shoes" that have the platform on the toes? :)
    Seriously, how does he gain these 4 inches back?

PLEASE no dirty "I know how he can gain 4 inches" replies... :p

2. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Well adding muscle to the leg region could add weight to the body making it harder to jump or spring into action. ;)

3. junglerules

junglerules Member

Well, since the dude is 7'5", and by what I've read can touch the rim flat-footed, i don't really see his vertical as a concern. Not many people are going to be able to block his shot, not many people are going to be able to get a shot over him, so I think his vertical jump is pretty negligible.

I'm sure there are things he can do to recover those 4 inches, if they feel it's necessary. It's probably just a matter of getting his body acclimated to the new muscle mass.

4. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

How can you lose vert from squats? Squating is good for your jump, maybe they tested him when he was still sore.

5. Shark Rocket

Shark Rocket Member

In my memory, those guys are talking about squats with 280 pounds weight on.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Kramer once wore those "Strength" shoes, and people thought that he was r****ded.

7. dTown333

dTown333 Member

Maybe he should try one of those Swedish Calf Pumps like in Austin Powers.
    Sorry TexJohn:)

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Does anyone know if those "jump soles" really work? I bought some a while back. They are like rubber platforms that you strap onto the toes of your shoes and do jumping exercises with. I never used them enough to see if they made a difference. The ads say they can add six inches to your vertical.

9. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Jumpsoles do work but you have to work with them a lot and it will hurt BAD. If you really want to improve your vert, you should do quick jumping drills over hurdles, any sort of calf lifts, quads, and also hips and lower abs.

10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

11. IVFL

IVFL Member

Also work your lower back, I also find calf raises are a good, do them till your butt hurts. . . . no seriously

12. sracer1000

sracer1000 Member

I have read about Yao losing his vert too. What I think it is is that it says he does high reps of 260lbs. but does them slow. I play high school football for Katy and I know that doing squats slowly makes you less explosive. He needs to do some things that help his explosion, like hang clean, hang snatch, or just jumping with a weighted vest or something.

About the jump shoes, our coaches bought them and make us do weird exercises ( Im an offensive lineman so I hate all exercise ) like high knees, bounding, skips, running, and jumping. Let me tell you, they WORK. Your calfs feel like there on fire. They are designed to put ones whole body weight on your calf insted of your heal. You cant walk after 20 min. with those things. My personal vert went up 6 in. in 4 months of offseason. But thats with using them 3X a week along with a bunch of other exercises.