1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Losing hurts... ESPECIALLY when this could easily be turned around.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AntiSonic, Nov 21, 1999.

1. bballfanatic

bballfanatic Member

Should be a no brainer to me that Bryce Drew does not belong in the game in the 4th quarter. Neither did Matt Bullard after he hit that three in the 4th to keep us in the game. We needed defense at that point.

I haven't seen Steve Francis do much on defense either although before the season I heard he was a pretty good defensive player.

However, the team gets very stagnant offensively with Bryce in there, and you don't want that in the 4th quarter.

The other team has to respect Francis' game more than Drew's game also.

And Francis leaps so high, he does get rebounds and is more athletic than Drew. Bryce would be chasing the better point guards, a definite liability. At least Francis has speed.

2. CaucasionSensation

Let's set the record straight because I am being grossly misquoted and understood.

O-Dawg - "In any regard the thought that Drew is a better crunch time defender than Francis is simply ridiculous."

Drew is not a better crucnh time defender, I haven't said that because that would be severly stupid. I don't want him in, in the closing ticks of the game either, but the topic of this thread attempts to persuade that if Drew wasn't in the game in the fourth we would be a winning team. There are more problems here than Drew.

Scarface - exaggeration is cute, and anger should be a mood not a lifestyle. By the way do you like anybody, or does everybody suck. I fail to see the why can't make a point without slamming someone. Cute comment about the jock by the way. Cat has some skill, people need time, time the Rockets currently don't have if they want to win.

Cabbage - please don't mistake me for thinking that Drew plays good defense. O - Dawg challenged me to name the last time he made a steal. I named 6. Then I crunched some numbers to further the fact that Drew does steal, the ball, more than some people would like to admit.

But I am not saying he is a good defender just better than O-Dawg would like to give him credit for.

Again I hate to defend Drew so much because I too want another backup point guard. It always sounds, like this thread, that if Drew didn't play the Rockets would have everything figured. They would win, and be successful for once. I only want to be fair, and let people not put all that blame on Drew. It doesn't fit.

[This message has been edited by CaucasionSensation (edited November 22, 1999).]

3. CaucasionSensation

Popeye, good point about Drew's coachability, he is a coach's son. I'm beggining to here that exciting time when Popeye was a baller. Street ballers as opposed to organized basketball players is a major difference many times in coach's selection's. I have seen many kids myself whose unstructured style has been their downfall.

O-Dawg, nobody is trying to say that Drew should necessarilly be in the game at that point. I notice nobody has disagreed with me yet about Williams shot. It was a terrific one. Drew was close in there, but he just canned it.

Drew has 6 steals thus far, Francis 20, both have played 11 games, Drew 16.4min/game, Francis 34.8min/game.

In other words per minute Drew steals better than half of what Steve steals, not bad at all, come on now O surely you can check NBA.com before you bash. So for every two steals Francis gets, Drew get at least one. I didn't know he had that many steals either, but thank you for pointing that out.

4. GermanRocket

GermanRocket Member

Drew pretty much sucks, but he should not be the only scapegoat for everything, which some people here make him. I think that is all Caucasian was pointing out and everything else is just quoting him incorrectly.
    Anyway, I still remember that Barkley said that Drew might end up being the best out of that group Dickerson, Mobley, Drew. What's up with that?
    And who the %"!% is .com??

5. GermanRocket

GermanRocket Member

Anyway, Scarface, I think your signature is pretty cool.

6. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Thanks, .com????

WaltWizardWillams@houstonRockets.COM

------------------
    "We need to fockass".....Dream back in the day

7. CaucasionSensation

Scarface - I refuse to believe that any player who makes the NBA is without talent. No matter how badly Drew plays he will always have a little. I don't want to watch this guy as a Rocket much longer. WE need someone else.

And the same goes for Cat. While I choose to blast Cat many times for inconsistency, I can't denie the guy has some ability to become a much better player in due time, much better than Drew. If you saw the Sacramento game how do you explain the way, he danced around the Kings baseline again and again. He's one of the best isolation players the Rockets currently have. My opinion is that all his future sucess will come from whether or not he can hit the jumper. This is his biggest inconsistency , yet he has shown some big flashes.

"Defence however is not steals it is the total package."
    Really? No kidding? I'll never disagree with you on that statement.

"it is true that Francis has not even played to 1/100000000 of his defensive potential."
    I think that he is a little closer than that. Exaggeration.

"cuz its obvious you have a stronger grip on his jock than, Marv Alberts had on Pattrick Ewings."
    HAHA. I wish Drew were gone. But I don't believe he is the only thing wrong with this team as many in there bash happy rants seem to infer. Or for you he and Cuttino. There are poor team dynamics at play here.

"Popeye you must have not been watching ANY of the Rockets games this year."
    Care to place money on that statement. I think Pops not only watches the games but has a decent feel as to what is wrong. Again exaggeration.

"The only reason I believe that Rudy is playing Drew is because he is SO HUMILLIATED that he picked Drew."
    Exaggeration, I don't believe that. He's playing him cause we have no other backup point. I thought we shouldn't have waived Brian Saw. Cat as you have stated, should play the point position. Cat's a 2 guard with the ability he has to isolate, slash, and score (Seattle). Anderson defininatly needs more time. Mobley should just be given less, or Anderson should play more 3 off the bench, when he is not playing two. Rudy is obviously screwing up with their minutes.

8. Scarface

Supporting Member

None of the posters here are saying we are losing directly because of Drew, for the 3rd time I state to you, WE ARE NOT LOSING BECUASE OF DREW, we are losing because of Rudy's decision to play Drew and MANY MANY MANY other Rudy mistakes, just because Drew might be better than you or me (if I were taller than 5-8 he would not be) doesn't make him NBA material, I know of a 1000, players who deserve to be in this league in place of him that are not (and if you give me $100 bux I will name them on my works web site for you) you like Drew that is obvious I don't another obvious, Cat I like as a person however I think you guys think to highly of him, he is what idealy the second round of the draft is still around, to find a very good ROLE player, he will never be much more of a player than he is now, like I said before he can be a Mario Elie type player if he works real hard on his shot(selection also) he can help this team in many ways because he can play the point and can play the 2, but if you think he will develop much more you are kidding yourself my white friend. As for Popeye he may be watching the game but hes not really paying attention as far as the content of what he wrote earlier.

The reason that he subs in Drew at times when a defensive stop or a particular ingredient seems to be missing, is very simple. Brice Drew is a very coachable second year(okay,almost second year)player.He will attempt to do exactly what Rudy wants him to do.His execution may be faulted but his attempt will always be noted.
    For all the talent he has, Stevie has not quite been able to handle assignments very well yet. He is a free spirit scorer who still thinks green light means he has options on defense. This is called being a rookie phenomena.

Francis is practicaly shackled to Rudy and the system, he has not once done his own thing and failed. Francis's dump off to Dream and Charles is called coaching, for Francis would love nothing more to drive and create. Sadly we could at the least be what SacraMENTO's is right now but we are forced with this crap. I once thought of Rudy as a master mind a genious now I look at him in the same regard as Nellie and Bill Walsh, a once great coach which the game had passed him years ago, for Rudy it was 4 years to be exact.

------------------

9. CaucasionSensation

You made some very good points.

"The reason that he subs in Drew at times when a defensive stop or a particular ingredient seems to be missing, is very simple. Brice Drew is a very coachable second year(okay,almost second year)player.He will attempt to do exactly what Rudy wants him to do.His execution may be faulted but his attempt will always be noted."

Totally agreed. I think Drew shows a little promise, please don't bash me for this. But promise, if we want to win, is just silly. The same goes for Cat. While I may disagree with you upon his upside. I think that his lack of performance in many aspects has handcuffed, and hindered the team, many a night.

"Cat I like as a person however I think you guys think to highly of him, he is what idealy the second round of the draft is still around, to find a very good ROLE player, he will never be much more of a player than he is now, like I said before he can be a Mario Elie type player if he works real hard on his shot(selection also) he can help this team in many ways because he can play the point and can play the 2, but if you think he will develop much more you are kidding yourself my white friend."

I like both Cat and Drew as persons. They are both very intelligent, nice, and calming influences on a ball club. I think Mobley will have more speed than Elie, yet will never really have any strength. I can't see this guy as a starter, but I can see him as a good 6th man. When he fully develops. I think many here have oversold him after all the gym rat reports, as to how he was killin' everbody with the quick crosses.

I want to also say that I think Rudy's ability to coach has slipped and is slipping. The way he now subs people and plays Drew often too heavily in the fourth quarter is becoming scandalous. I don't think we would have won 2 championships without him, but his ways are growing more useless, and thought process more senile. I hope that Les has the confidence to fire him when it is time, and time I think is drawing closer. Rudy might step down after this tragedy of a season. He has pulled together a team that is too ultimately incompatible in a half court set to win with in this leauge, and continues to insist they can. Trades are needed, and more than one in my opinion, and I don't think he will make enough moves because so many of the players are new, and he is still in love with them. But for now I will withhold total condemnation.

I'm 5'8(1/2) with a 5'10 dad, and 5'3 mom. Really sucks, huh.

10. GermanRocket

GermanRocket Member

Uh, I'm 6'6 and a half, but probably the worst basketball player to ever post on this site. I couldn't even make a basket if Walt Williams was guarding me...BUT...I know I would try harder than he would!

11. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Caucasian: "I like Cat and Drew as persons, they are very intelligent, nice, and calming influences in the Bball club."

come on, intelligent? nice? calming influence? Did they score 1300 in SAT? or Drew is nice cuz he has a babyface? or Cat is a calming influence in the club cuz he talks the most? The point is, give some props to what you say. Just wanna know how you discovered their charming attributes which I never heard of and based on what.

12. CaucasionSensation

FinalFantasy8, Drew is a professing Christian who if you watch the game never gets upset. I simply like his demeanor on and off the court, and I doubt he is stupid.
    Cat graduated from Rhode Island with a double major in communications, and something else. He's ready if his basketball career doesn't work out. I like his attitude and work ethic alot. Just my opinion on these two that is relatively unimportant to the way they play.

13. Scarface

Supporting Member

What exageration are you reffering to kid? Drew has NO TALENT, I can't emphasize no talent any more than that on a computer screen unless I could pick 1 trillion sized font and the most intense looking bold that would make the sun look dark. I've been wondering if you were Bryce's mom even before my man from MIISociety ever said it, the fact is bro you have been so obvious of your fascination of Drew's??!?!? whatever that nobody else has ever seen. I give you 60% of Clutch city that has not seen any talent whatso ever displayed by that guy, once again I don't hate Bryce I hate Rudy for wasting a Fu@#ing pick on the guy. The guy is a bum in the language of the NBA, can't knock a shot down consistently and thats pretty much all he can do right? Has the worst defense I have ever seen even .com has better D because he at the least fouls his man if he gets by him. The guy makes Matt Maloney look like an all-star, he makes Brent Price look like Bob fricken Cousey. In my honest oppinion it should be Drew on the Ir and not Hambone. The only reason I believe that Rudy is playing Drew is because he is SO HUMILLIATED that he picked Drew, and is pulling an Al Davis when he traded for Jay Shraeder or however you spell that damn name. In anycase I hate to make a fellow Rocket fan look like a fool, but I'm only pointing out the facts man, you are doing it to yourself. Pointing out that Drew even has a steal is stupid because less than 1 per game at the Pg position is horrible. The Pg is the main distributer of the ball thus having the ball in his hands for most of the game thus the most chances for a steal come for a pg if you can play the passing lanes then you should at least get one per game. Defence however is not steals it is the total package, I am waiting on how I am exagerating.

Oh yeah Cat is not that great, I would have rather had Dickerson in an instant over cuttino.

------------------