1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lose em all, let's lace em up next year !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Well, it has been an aweful season.

I'm glad the baseball season is right around the corner.

GO STROS!

2. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Someone brought this up a couple of weeks ago. Same answer, which is a question: Ever hear of the draft lottery? It was made for people like you. After the Duncan-inspired tank job, the NBA said never again. A very smart move by Mr. Stern.

3. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Uhh...the lottery was around long before Duncan (since '85) and the last time the weighting system was changed was '95 - again before Duncan.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

The NBA draft lottery has been in place since 1985 ... most think the Rocket tank job in 1983-84, which netted them (H)akeem Olajuwon, put that in place.

Everything the Spurs did then can still be done today ... San Antonio had the 3rd best chance to get the top prize that year. Clearly had the Spurs not been injured in 1996-97 and then kept those injured players out intentionally, they would suck today -- or at the very least, not have had the 9-year run that they have had.

People have a misconception of "tanking", as DaDakota is suggesting here. It's not intentionally losing games -- throwing the ball out of bounds forcibly, bricking shots on purpose, etc. It's simply not playing with the only goal being to "win". It's "playing for next season" -- giving young guys the chance to play in order for the team to see who should be around next season.

The Rockets still have a "shot", but without McGrady and with this offense/group of shooters, it's incredibly unlikely. Given our age and uncertainty at so many positions, I'd say if the Rockets aren't a candidate for this right now, they will be after a couple more losses.

Edit - What rimbaud said :)

5. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I stand corrected on the lottery. It's amazing how lucky the Spurs were to get Duncan. If tanking is defined as planning for next year AND trying to win games now, then tanking is logical. Year after year, every team in the NBA does that to some extent, especially those eliminated from playoff contention. But I still wouldn't "lose em all, let's lace em up next year" or "shut it down".

6. terse

terse Member

Um, engineers call that "testing to destruction".

7. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

WTF are u talkin about? We just tanked the season for bush. ;)

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I don't want the team to tank, but I want them to throw the youngsters out there to see what they can do.

9. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Actually, I'm an engineer by training and that is NOT what I meant. If 30+ mpg for 15 more games in this shortened season for Yao is "testing to destruction", we are in deeeeeeep trouble.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

dude that was pretty funny. 30+ minutes always equals destruction for someone in there physical prime.

11. terse

terse Member

Relax, I am not making fun of engineers. I was only gently pointing out that you can't determine Yao's maximum level of performance without breaking him. The reason is that his current skill level largely determines what he can do. Since an intelligent player's skill level keeps going up, you will have to keep pushing him harder and harder, year after year -- until he breaks. Thus: "testing to destruction".

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I have to admit that I don't care if they lose them all, especially if JVG is trying desperately to win by playing guys like Howard and Wesley a lot I find myself not watching most games for the first time since about three years before the championship run.

I would be more interested in watching if they would play guys like Lamphte.

I do hope Yao keeps kicking butt and plays a lot. It is the only silver lining for the season. I want Tracy to rest up for next season, because without him it will be a long next few years.

The ol rent an old guy for the season routine has played out, and we have lost two years by trying it. Undererstandably some of the rented young guys for the season are not as good, but what else can we do at this point.

13. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Actually, that would be pretty damned entertaining.

I'd love to see an intentional "blooper" game for pure comedy. Run Yao at the point, Luther Head at Center, and have Mutumbo at SG launching threes. Blare the Harlem Globetrotter music. Have Clutch (mascot) jump in from nowhere and block the opposing team's freethrow shooter. Bring back Moochie.

Maybe they can do a tie-in with Lucasfilms and have a "Use the Force Fridays!" where they play with blindfolds on for the whole game.

I'd watch that. Who wouldn't?

14. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

Yup the weighting system was changed in '95 because the 41-41 Magic hit the jackpot in '93 and got the #1 pick again after getting the #1 pick in '92.

#34 hashmander, Mar 20, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

One more down !

Yao played well, but still want more Stro and more Hayes, and that new guy Frahm?

And where the hell is Lampe?

DD

16. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I was curious why this thread is still going on. Well, so far JVG is trying to win games with whatever is at his disposal - not much.

I too would like to see him start Stro, play Hayes, Lampe and Frahm. If nothing else I think it's important for Yao to get a feel for who Yao likes to play with. It will be important probably much quicker than our organization seems to think.

Yao taking responsibility for his play is a given, but once he realizes his play might not be enough for a max player with clout he's likely to think "What else can I do?" It will happen.

17. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Tanking is only valuable if we can actually evaluate and draft someone with talent for a change... besides Yao (who was an obvious pick), who have we drafted recently that has turned out to be a success?

-G'day-

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I didn't think I would, but I too have turned to the dark side.

No, they aren't mathematically eliminated, but cmon. The rocks are playing bad basketball.

If the rox were closer in the standings to the playoffs, I would say keep forging ahead. Or if the rox were farther ahead in the standings than the other losers, then I would say, forge ahead.

But they aren't and they aren't. Losing say, 8 of their last 14, esp to the "right" teams, could move them from the 12th spot in the draft, to the 7th.

12th to 7th could be huge. Not only does it give you more options for more talent, but it gives you a much better shot of landing in the top 3. And with the draft pretty much being the only way at getting talent for the rox this offseason barring a blockbuster trade ...

Tank city I guess. :eek:

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

What is the magic number to be eliminated , so we can get even JVG to quit playing Bowen and Howard in a pathetic attempt to win a game or two more?

20. kerry Mckee

kerry Mckee Member

This Van Gumby team has been tanking every game for about a week now!!!! :eek: