1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lord, Vandermeer get new deals with KILT

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JPM0016, Mar 4, 2005.

1. JPM0016

JPM0016 Member

I'm surprised Rich didn't bolt

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3067707

By DAVID BARRON
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Rich Lord and Marc Vandermeer have signed new three-year contracts to remain at KILT (610 AM), where they will compete against Lord's former on-air partner, Charlie Pallilo, for Houston sports radio drive-time domination.

Vandermeer's new deal is not unexpected, since it coincides with his duties as the Texans' play-by-play voice. A lot of people, however (present company included), may raise an eyebrow that Lord didn't bolt once his contract expired to join Pallilo at KBME (790 AM).

"Between reading things in chat rooms and bumping into people on the street, I think it was assumed," Lord said Thursday. "But I came to 610 when it was a start-up operation, and it's been a great relationship. It's all good to stick around."

Lord, in fact, said he never received an offer from KBME to jump ship. He's happy to stay with Infinity Radio, KILT's owner, and happy to be working with Vandermeer, who moved from late mornings to afternoon drive in December.

But he's still adjusting to the idea of Pallilo as competitor rather than on-air compadre.

"I'm not going to lie to you. I regret that he left," Lord said. "We had a chemistry together that is hard to duplicate. I consider him one of my best friends, and it's kind of painful that we're going after the same audience and involved in cutthroat competition. I find that very regrettable.

"But this is a business, and these things happen. And you never say never on future possibilities."

Bill Van Rysdam, KILT's program director, said he is pleased to keep Lord and Vandermeer in afternoon drive.

"They sound terrific," he said. "They're highly valued talent, and we're thrilled to have them with us for the next three years."

Both said they were influenced by the opportunity to remain involved with the Texans — Lord on pre- and postgame shows, Vandeermer as the team's play-by-play announcer.

"It's one of my great passions in life to do play-by-play," Vandermeer said. "I've been in Houston for three years, and people still say to me, 'Welcome to Houston.' That is very endearing. It's a great place for my wife and I to live, so this was a no-brainer."

Ken Charles, vice president of Clear Channel's Houston stations, said Pallilo will continue as the solo afternoon anchor at KBME, which launched in late December as an all-sports station.

"I've never understood why sports stations feel that afternoon shows need partners," Charles said. "Thousands of talk-show hosts all over the country go it alone in afternoon drive, if they're good enough to do it.

"I think Charlie is great by himself. It's brought out a new dimension. He doesn't need a partner."

And KBME, clearly, doesn't need the extra expense of a second anchor as it works through its sports start-up phase. So this appears to be one of those rare radio cases in which both sides will benefit.

2. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

That really sucks. Both those guys are nothing but purveyors of verbal effluent.

3. Hammer755

Hammer755 Member

Disappointing news. I was hoping Rich would re-join Charlie at 790.

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Anyone else keep reading "Lord Voldemort" when they see the thread title?

5. Faos

Faos Member

I don't go out of my way to listen to either station anymore. I flip around until I hear a topic I'm interested in. Charlie is good, but he not so good that I can listen to only him.

610 has stepped up the Rockets interviews and that is big to me.

6. MadMax

MadMax Member

totally agreed.

i think lord and vandermeer have done a pretty good job together.

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Member

Neither Charlie by himself, nor Rich with Vandemeer, is anywhere close to being as good as Charlie/Rich together. Too bad.

8. Nick

Nick Member

A fun new game (that my g/f pointed out to me while in the car) is to count the number of total seconds Charlie pauses when he's making one of his "speeches".

I know most radio-single personalities do it (esp. Rome), but Charlie has taken to pausing a lot now... and now that I notice it, its starting to become annoying (so maybe, if u do like listening to him, u shouldn't try this).

That being said, I still prefer his "opinions" on how local teams are fairing, than Rich & Mark or anybody else on the bbs... but Rich & Mark have definitely upped the "entertainment" value of their show, and they sorta have a "feel-good" approach, which obviously can make everybody "feel-good."

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Same here.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Exactly. This is good news to me. The 610 guys and Charlie are both good and it is great that their commercials aren't exactly timed, too, so you can just switch back and forth.

11. Vengeance

Vengeance Member

I'm starting to like the Vandermeer/Lord show, but like Faos, I don't really make it a point to listen to one or the other. I just listen to one until there's a commercial, then I switch to the other, and back and forth.

I'm very happy about the increased Rockets coverage on 610. And 790 has been doing lots of Nascar, which doesn't interest me in the least.

12. Faos

Faos Member

Until 790 starts going more local, 610 will be my overall choice for the most part.

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

What a load. They pursued Rich. I know it for a fact. But, that's Charles for you.

I think the fact that the contract of Lord and Palillo were off by a few months gave each a chance to evaluate how things were going without the other and they got comfortable.

I have a really hard time listening to Lord and Vandermeer. I really like Rich, personally. He is a good guy. But he and Van know so little about the Rockets - my main reason for listening - that it often just isn't worth it to listen. Charlie is like a freakin' encyclopedia and he's always on the money with basketball stuff.

Charlie can get a little slow with him by himself, but his analysis is enough to keep me interested. With Rich and Van, I just have a hard time listening to the Ted-Baxter-like voicing of "the voice". He's great for play-by-play, but I don't care for his talk show stuff. Plus, neither really have much knowledge of basketball - particularly the Rockets.

On a plus, I'm glad to hear Adam Wexler back on the air. I like listening to he and Matt J.

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Agreed. As a whole, 610 kicks 790's ass.

15. Chance

Chance Member

I am so happy about Marc and Rich. I under stand you guys grievances but a lot of it is taste anf for the last decade what you have tasted the most has been Rich and Charlie and it's awkward to hear it changed up. All three of the guys have their own pluses and minuses.

Thanks for the comments, Jeff, about Wexler. It is refreshing to have him back. And the added Rockets talk is absolutely intentional. It will be challenging to keep the pace up with baseball coming on but I have a feeling it will be light years better than what it was historically.

16. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Member

Thats great, another three years of having to hear about music, movies and whatever else Lord and Vandermeer feel like talking about. I think thats the big problem I have with them, when I tune in they are talking about everything other than sports. And I completely agree that they know so little about the Rockets.

The great thing about 790 is that when 610 gets stale, you can switch over and vice versa. Its also great to have Adam Wexler back on, he was sorely missed by me and a number of my friends.

17. Another Brother

On XM I get to listen to a lot of shows and the "sports only" guys get old really fast.

What pissed me off recently is that I broke the Mo Taylor story to SR610, called the producer, he knew nothing about it and thanked me for the info, fifteen minutes later Rich gave the full credit to Dave Har "bore" son.

It wouldn't have bothered me but some caller reported the Ron Dayne story and got full credit for it, though it turned out to be trash...

Personally I know that Vandy prepares and works hard at being a great host across the board. He has a genuine love for Houston teams and this city, I'm glad he has been provided some security. I wish he would come out to one of our gatherings, you guys would like him.:)

18. swilkins

swilkins Member

Me 3.

I can't say that "The Voice" is even my favorite Texan's play-by-play and he's all they've ever had.:(

19. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Member

I don't mind a little non-sports talk. But when it goes for three or four segments and the most sports I've heard is the in commercials or the quick update I think it borders on ridiculousness.

Did you really think that SR610 was going to give a fan, or contributor to the show as yourself the credit for breaking a story? Of course they wouldn't, they need to make everyone think that they are on the cutting edge of sports news.

As much as Vandermeer prepares, and as much as you and Chance say he is a nice guy, I still find it difficult to listen to him on subjects that he is clueless on (Rockets, Astros). I know Chance has said he started out in basketball (IIRC), but he just seems lost when callers start talking about anything other than football, Miami athletics, and music.

20. Chance

Chance Member

I asked about this after the fact. The Producer intercommed the guys and asked if they knew about it but they weren't going on air with it until they received confirmation from the Rockets PR guy. They got it and aired it.

However you did act as a catalyst. We called and were waiting and then when we had a trustworthy call come in, from you, it lit a fire and we were not so content "waiting". We banged the phones until we got confirmation and then went hot.

I do love you and want to have your children.