1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looks like Rockets dodged a bullet.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Puppet Master, Aug 24, 2022.

1. vince

vince Member

I feel bad for Chet. They guy is obviously extremely talented, I think he was going to be a lock down defender with a tremendously high basketball IQ who can shoot.

These injuries can carry some residue into the future of the career. Hopefully he has a good surgeon and they can get to as close as 100% as possible.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If he isn't injured, why would he choose to move him? If he's injured, what team would want him?

3. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I think Wemby's frame will fill out plenty. Gonna end up closer to Gobert. He is already 15 pounds heavier than Chet @ 210 and he's only 18. Gobert was 238 and 4 yrs older when drafted. VW will probably be in the 215-220 range when the draft rolls around.

xaos likes this.
  4. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Yes, I would say that. Over communicating and reminding fans that this is a kid going through a rough event, social media has criticized the kid continuously prior to injury, and now there are a bunch of "i told you so" puppets who probably never played competitive sports in their life, he's got $20M guaranteed, but I am sure money is not everything to a competitor that was just getting started. If it was, then you are still looking at potentially losing out on 90% of your career earnings unless you bounce back, that is a lot of pressure for a 20 year old in a new state in the middle of nowhere. So good job by Presti here indeed. If you really think about the total amount invested in someone like Chet or even Jalen/Jabari, it is not just the $20M guaranteed, or sponsorship money, it is a full season of tanking which can essentially add up to hundreds of millions of dollars in opportunity costs. Amazing how much is put into draft picks.

vince and snowconeman22 like this.
  5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I love Orlando

6. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Wrong. That article you are quoting says that only 80% of athletes were able to return to sports period
    And those 80% said they were at an avg 87% their pre-injury level

20% chance of not playing sports again, and even if you do you will likely never be 100%... not horrible but definitely not great

kjayp likes this.
  7. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

derrick henry just had a Lisfranc fracture last year and he came back at end of the season.. after an offseason of recovery he is totally fine... even tho chet is nowhere near the beast derrick henry is

kjayp likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ouch Lisfranc.... doesn't look good for Chet's future

hakeem94 and RasaqBoi like this.
  9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i actually jumped on Henry for MVP at 125-1... i figured he was a beast pre-injury - continuing to lead the league even after he had been sidelined for 4 or 5 weeks - lol! He looked fine when he returned... had all off season to further rehab... i'm a Titans fan - so i was willing to throw the dice on King Henry... lol

BallSoHarden likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Marion had a much better handle.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I think this particular injury is worse for players that rely on explosive movements and who run a lot, it's not really a weight-bearing thing.

The fact that he does not weigh a lot also would not make this the same as normal big men.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Henry had a bone broken bone in his foot, lis franc is different

• Henry suffered a broken foot in the Titans' 34-31 victory over the Colts. He broke the fifth metatarsal in his foot. The injury is known as a Jones fracture and will sideline Henry for 6-10 weeks.
    Lis Franc.
    The midfoot consists of five bones that form the arches of the foot (the cuboid, navicular, and three cuneiform bones) and their articulations with the bases of the five metatarsal bones, and these articulations are damaged in a Lisfranc injury. Such injuries typically involve the ligaments between the medial cuneiform bone and the bases of the second and third metatarsal bones, and each of these ligaments is called Lisfranc ligament.[4]

verysimplejason and topfive like this.
  13. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

im a titans fan too! #TITANUP

kjayp likes this.
  14. verysimplejason

It's true but Jabari seems to have a better release. It might translate to better shooting percentage in the future. That's why I said they are just similar. I just hope Jabari will develop better handles. It might not be as important if you have a Nash-like PG or playmaker regardless of position.

15. Vivid

Vivid Member

Where are you finding that statistic? Just a quick Google search found a study about 11 people (pros and weekend joes included) that said 80% were able to get back to 87% performance-wise after about 29 weeks. Wondering if you pulled from the same study but read the numbers wrong? I have also read that the procedure Chet is going through is more complicated than the one used in the study (these were milder lisfranc injuries), with a recovery time between 9-12 months. In the NFL, average recovery is 11 months for this level of lisfranc injury. The NBA only has one prominent example, Haslem, and that had other complications involved.

I sure hope it is not as big of a deal as you are suggesting. I remember Chet's dad saying pre-draft that they train specifically for injury prevention. That's why they weren't worries about him putting on mass. They were focused on flexibility and mobility, so it really sucks to see this happen. Hope he comes back and is able to get back at it quick; he looked very promising in the little we have seen.

xaos likes this.
  16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Not saying Chet is a crap pick, but....

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

that thing is disturbing