1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looks like Dom Capers found a home in Miami!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Damn, didn't take him too long.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2302999

Ex-Texans coach Capers expected to head to Miami

The Miami Dolphins are expected to name former Houston Texans head coach Dom Capers as their new defensive coordinator, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported.

Richard Smith and Will Muschamp essentially served as the unit's co-coordinators in 2005. Smith had the title of defensive coordinator, while Muschamp's title Assistant Head Coach/Defense.

Recently dismissed as the Texans' head coach, Capers posted an 18-46 record in four seasons (2002-05), including a league-worst 2-14 mark this year. He was 31-35 in four seasons (1995-98) with the Carolina Panthers, and Capers was the first head coach in the history of both teams.

In only the second season of the franchise's existence, Capers, 55, led the Panthers to the NFC Championship Game in 1996. He was unable to register the same kind of results, though, in Houston, where the Texans never won more than seven games in a season under his stewardship and regressed badly in 2005.

Capers interviewed Friday for the head coach vacancy of the Buffalo Bills.

Information from ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli was used in this report.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

good for him.

i wish him well. he was a very good defensive coordinator before.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Interesting, good for Dom though. I will admit that I wanted him fired but thought it was a little injust when Casserly didn't get canned as well.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

That cat's got nine lives. Good for you Dom.
    Miami would be sweet.

Since he got paid head coaches moneyanyway, I think I would rather be the DC in Miami than the beleagured HC of the Texans.

Wonder how that will effect a possible Carr to Miami trade?

5. gucci888

Since Dom will be the DC for Miami, I don't think it will effect the possibility all that much. But I'm sure Dom has nothing but good things to say about Carr.

6. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

again, why haven't the texans fired casserly yet? are waiting for him to ruin yet another head coach?

i wish dom luck, good guy, bad GM, probably better served as coordinator even though the texans defense was horrendous last year too.

7. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

You're beating a dead horse. Cass will be here for at least 1 more year. Reeves didn't think Cass did a bad job on the players he selected.

8. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i know i may be beating a dead horse, but you realize that casserly IS the dead horse?

if reeves really thinks he did a good job trading away top round picks for p-burnt, and letting jamie sharper and aaron glenn walk out the door and paying moron greenwood a lot of cash, he's an idiot too.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

good for him...i'm assuming they'll do a 3-4, if they don't already...Maybe they'll take Babin and Walker off our hands...

10. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

dommmmm, dom dom dom, dolphins.

I know. It's pretty weak.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm sure too, that's just the kind of guy Dom is. 100% class. I'm glad he landed on his feet.

I thought Dom would have made a good college head coach. He would be a good recruiter, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

12. benzman501

benzman501 Member

Dom will be back at Reliant Stadium this year as the Texans Face the Dolphins...Sunday Night Matchup? Its got the storylines!

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Why are we going to be on over the air network NBC Sunday night Football?

We are the freaking 2-14 Houston Texans.

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whatever his shortcomings as a head coach, Dom seems like a genuinely decent person. I would have flipped out if he was still the head coach here, but I will root for the Dolphins… at least for their defense.

He probably was pretty sure he was going to be fired for the second half of last year but he handled the situation as well as anybody could. If I'm not mistaken his most impressive moments have come as a coordinator except for the fluke year in Carolina.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

As a head coach Dom is a great defensive coordinator.

;)

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Awesome, glad he was able to get a new job so fast.

17. gucci888

Weird. They are featuring 2 of the worst teams in the league on national t.v.?

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Didn't Miami go 9-7 last season?

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

well, yeah...but.... ;)

20. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

They're hoping Vince Young will start that game. :D (and I don't mean for the Dolphins!)