1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking to order a customized laptop online..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mfastx, Aug 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I will be heading off to college in a few weeks and need a laptop computer. Does anyone know of, or have any experience with, buying a customized laptop online? From your own experiences, what are the most reputable websites to order a laptop?

Cheers.

2. Tfj4

Tfj4 Member

Why does it have to be customized? In B4 "Buy a Macbook Pro".

3. VanityHalfBlack

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Well I am kind of a computer geek and I would like to be able to choose my own processor, how much RAM, etc.

5. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Assuming you want a gaming notebook, http://www.xoticpc.com/ and http://www.powernotebooks.com/ are both great companies with competitive prices.

I highly, highly recommend buying the absolute minimum amount of RAM preinstalled; laptop RAM is stupidly cheap (< $40 for 2x4) and easy to install, and if you're gaming you won't really need more than 4GB anyway.

I would caution you against getting anything larger than 13.3"; it's a real pain to carry a 15"+ around, and the battery life for flights home and in-class notetaking sucks. If I had the money for a top of the line customized computer or a Macbook Pro, (~ $1500) I'd get something small and light for class, and set up a dock in your dorm room with a nice 22" IPS panel for programming/reading/watching movies/gaming, and an external graphics card for when you really need additional power to turn Crysis 2 up to "extreme" visuals.

This is coming from an engineering grad student who has gone from 17" to 15.4" to 13.3" + home built desktop; and the setup I'm using now has been by far the cheapest of all 3, while also being the easiest to use.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

7. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Go to notebookreview.com and browse their forums. The members there always post great coupons and provide solid recommendations for HP, Dell, Apple, and other major brands.

Not sure about your budget, but I love my laptop and it's great for someone needing portability, build quality, excellent keyboard, and a long battery life.

It's the Lenovo ThinkPad X220. 12.5" IPS screen, i5, SSD, 9-hr battery life, ~3.5 lbs light for about $1100. Unfortunately, you can't use it for intense gaming because of the graphics card.

This is exactly what I do.

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Well I ended up going to powernotebooks.com, I found that had what I wanted for the cheapest price.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

9. Prince

Prince Member

alienware

10. Dei

Dei Member

Really? Which one? Just went to that website and it looked like trash.

11. Zackery

Zackery Member

Sony Vaio if you're willing to spend $600-$800.

12. jlwee

jlwee Member

www.dell.com You can customize the specifications online.

13. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

Every major PC company has the ability to customize through their website.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They're a good company and offer systems for people that want to build from barebones configs on-up. They've got a very good rep on laptop forums. I almost bought from them a while back. If you have problems, check their forums and support lines. From what I've seen, they're really helpful.

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I got the Sager NP5160, but I customized it to include an i7 (~3.0 GHz processor), 8 GB RAM, and a Blu Ray burner/reader drive (that one was important). Ended up costing around $1,300 with all the upgrades.

16. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

There really is only one answer when building a PC but not doing it yourself.

Maingear.com

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Sagers are very nice.

18. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

I second maingear. Also take a look at origin or falcon-nw or velocity micro.