1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking to go to a gym whats the best gym/idea

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by crazyguypete, Jan 13, 2008.

1. crazyguypete

crazyguypete Member

I've been thinking about joining a gym. I went down to 24hr fitness today and talked about a membership. They showed me a lot of deals and it really felt like I was buying a car. They have some deals that are very expensive but its one of those things you put a lot of money up front but after a while you end up paying like 30 bucks a year which is pretty sweet.

So my question is this. What is the best gym to go at? What is a good deal to look at?

What I like about 24hr fitness is that its close to home, I can come in whenever I want (I have strange hours), and most important they have a basketball court.

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Find a 24 Hour Fitness that is actually open 24 hours a day. Not all of them actually are.

"Sport" level 24 Hour Fitness locations are pretty good and have swimming pools, basketball gym and daycares in addition to weights and cardio.

You can find some pretty good deals online for membership. I have seen something like $199 for a 1 year pass through a deal offered through Costco and 24 Hour collaboration.

I was paying about $30 bucks a month for "Active" level, when I saw a special deal for $24 bucks a month for "Sport" level. I just canceled my old membership and signed the new one online.

I didn't have to pay any activation fee or have any contract with this $24/month plan. So thus I pay month to month. Its a pretty good value.

There was a similar thread about gyms a few weeks ago..maybe search for that one also.

3. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Come hang with us at the YMCA

[​IMG]

#3 krnxsnoopy, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

you can get a good deal at 24hr, i think my friend's recent purchase was 650 for 3 years and 49 a year after that.

you can always negotiate it down if what they quoted you was more then that as they'd rather get some of your money then none.

5. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

24 hour hands down. i like to go at night when the place isn't packed. i can take my time on each machine and not worry about sweaty seconds on the next

6. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

24 hour fitness

7. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Fitness Connection on Greens.. they are also open 24 hours. I pay 10 bucks a month.

8. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Fitness Connection - $350 down (included pro-rated 1st month), $19.95 a month after that, everything included except a Personal Trainer, I can go to any club anywere.

The wife and I

Tim

9. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

That's 30 bucks less than what I pay now!!! :mad:

10. bladeage

I dunno what tell ya.

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

12. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I'm finally going to hit the gym for the first time on Wed. since hurting my hand. I really should've been going this entire time (for cardio) but I can't drag myself up there unless I can lift.

I personally workout at a place called Anytime Fitness, although it's in San Antonio.

13. XxShadyPinkxX

XxShadyPinkxX Contributing Member

Fitness Connection FTW.

$10/mo. I signed up early so I got a special of $49 sign up fee, no contract.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

bladeage, and xShadyPinkx, and there are like... what, only 2 Fitness Connections in the world, or something...? :confused:

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Lifetime Fitness is the best by far.

It is a like country club fitness.

Indoor/outdoor pools with water slides.....4 or 5 hot tubs....sauna, steam room......

Racquetball and basketball courts.....tennis courts......weights and machines galore...

Just amazing.

DD

16. XxShadyPinkxX

XxShadyPinkxX Contributing Member

SwoLy- Google is your friend. ;)

1st 3 results (search Fitness Connection Houston)
    Fitness Connection
    3900 Spencer St, Houston - (713) 473-4600

Fitness Connection
    7102 W Sam Houston Pkwy N, Houston - (281) 931-6609
    Directions and more ยป

Fitness Connection
    6801 Baneway Dr # 3P, Houston - (281) 498-4950

The one I go to is off I-10 East where I live (kinda ghetto).

DaDa- Not all of us can afford to even be sweating next to entrepreneurs like yourself. :p

17. bladeage

who cares how many there are, as long as there is one close to me thats all that matters.

18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

"Fit" is supposed to be a pretty badass upscale urban gym... only one location near river oaks, though.

i'm a Houstonian man, myself.

19. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

Fit went to crap. It used to be a great gym, but then they started recruting heavily for more members. The gym went from comfortable to super-packed within a couple of months. Long waits for all the machines, etc.

It gets worse. They had to put up signs in the locker room saying that "Use of cell phones is not allowed in the locker room." Yup. Guys taking pics of other guys nude in the locker room. Guys caught in the sauna/steam room soliciting other guys and more...

This led to many folks leaving. Sorry, I'm not going to pay $80+ a month for other guys to try to take pics of me as I walk to the shower - oh and be told that I can't talk on my phone b/c of those pervs.

The Rockets Power Dancers may still work out there though... The receptionist there 2 years ago was one of them.

20. bladeage

you know how i know you're gay? cause you take showers with other men. ;) :D