1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking like Dorsey may not surprise

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smuduffy, Oct 5, 2009.

1. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

I may be in the minority, but I thought Dorsey would break out this year as a reliable bench player when we needed to match up big. From reading the different news stories recently, whenever they quote him on anything, it seems like every quote is about him being tentative about his foot. I've had plantar fascitis myself and know how painful it can be, but the guy should have been working with trainers this whole time and should have all these issues addressed by now.

It seems very doubtful that if he is still feeling tentative on his foot that he will make any impact this year. I haven't seen him play recently though, so maybe this is just me reading too much into articles. Has there been any good news reports on him? Any thoughts on if he'll be able to play this year?

2. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

You said you've had planter fascitis and how painful it can be, yet you blame him for being tentative? Players cant just 'address' their injuries as camp starts. Look at Shane. It sucks, but injuries are part of the game. It might be that Dorsey's unfortunate timing of injuries might end up doing him in, but I would not conclude that just because we're not hearing his name in the daily report means he cant contribute still.

3. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Dorsey is a bust. Mensah-Bonsu is Dorsey's replacement.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I don't see why a 2nd round flier on a big man project qualifies as a bust. He's was a longshot from the start. If he DID pan out it'd be a big win.

Becoming increasingly certain that he is what he was in college - big man size, good athleticism, dumb as rocks with no real skill set.

The video of him working with CD closed the book on him for me.

Evan

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

These days, a 2nd round pick who doesn't make it in the league is not a bust. He was and still is a project that just isn't working out.

6. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I was impressed by Dorsey's summer league performance. Don't expect him to be next Yao or Deke. But, I think he will be a decent backup C.

7. NBAok

NBAok Member

can he get till the end of preseason before we say that.he still has a chance to have a cato like performance. :eek:

8. abc2007

abc2007 Member

btw, Dorsey was the leader for rebounds in SL. I think he the no.1 reason why the rockets were 5-0 in the SL. In addition, Morey mentioned he is also the rebound leader for our training camp. I don't understand why people think he sucks.

9. devilsdandruff

dorsey will be like oden against yao last playoff.
    avging 14 fouls per 48 minutes.

10. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Well, I know DM used to be high on him and was let down later. Regardless of his health issue, I have a hard time seeing Dorsey getting any serious PT with his poor offensive skillset.

11. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

That's what i'm saying... Give the guy a chance to play a couple preseason games and get some run before labeling him one way or another.

If you are expecting him to be a near all-star caliber player you are setting yourself up for a let down. If he comes in and plays hard and rebounds that will be a success. He was not a scorer in college so don't expect him to be in the NBA. He was the biggest and most physical guy on the floor at the college level and all he did was rebound and block a couple shots. All we can hope for is much of the same from time to time. This will really be his first year so look at him as being a rookie. He unfortunately doesn't have deke arond to be a mentor this year. That would be very helpful.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the funny part was when CD said "if you think this video is bad you should have seen what he looked like before i started working with him" :D

13. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Where did your conclusion come from? Actually, Dorsey also average 9.8 pts and 3.0 asts in summer league. He is a quite good passer for his position.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

exactly. he had a pretty decent all around game. he doesn't have any go-to moves, but he was finishing well with a better touch than people give him credit for.

it's pretty clear that the injury is holding him back. hopefully it clears up and he can continue to progress, otherwise it's only a second round pick so it's not a big loss.

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

didn't we have a poll about who our summer league mvp was? Besides Budinger, Dorsey was considered one of our best players. Why the hate for him now?

16. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Can I get a link to the video with CD?

17. joesr

joesr Member

He might be bringing up his foot every time so we dont put a lot of 'hope' on him?

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Interesting....

His 2 year deal was a direct result of the 1 year gaffe with Landry....I will bet the Rockets wish he was on a non-guaranteed 2nd year.

DD

19. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I bet the rockets will execute his 3rd and 4th year contract.

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'm not surprised that he doesn't seem to be NBA material. I am surprised that Morey selected a guy who has been a complainer with a questionable work ethic and mental toughness. Those are not things that suddenly popped up after he was drafted. As much homework as Morey does on guys I'm a little shocked he didn't hear about this before he picked Dorsey.