1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking for roommate(s)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by B, Feb 27, 2002.

Tags:
  1. B

B Contributing Member

I hope people don't get too upset by me doing this, but if I'm going to have a roommate why have one who enjoys the Rockets as much as I do. My new job is about 50 miles from my current apartment. I'm looking for something near the Astrodome or south (Pearland/Rosharon). I don't smoke and I have no pets. I'd like to move sometime between April and May if possible. If you are interested please e-mail me (it's on my profile). If you are upset that I created this thread, well I guess you are going to post here no matter what I say. :)

B

2. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

...and I'm looking for a female between the age of 25 to ......haha
    just kidding.You might as well find someone that you have a common interest with.Man I had some crappy roomates before I was married.....good luck.

3. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rules for roommates:

1) NEVER room with a good friend. Your friendship will evaporate as each of your bad habits grate on the other. Better to room with a casual acquaintance who you don't hang out with but know is a good person.

2) Even if you are the most shy, introverted, socially anxious, agoraphobic person on the planet, ALWAYS make sure that you are out of the apartment/house at least one or two nights a week. Give your roommate a break from you.

3) NEVER cover rent or bills for your roommate. Let them borrow the money from someone else or they can move.

4) NEVER allow your roommate's boyfriend/girlfriend to live consistently in the apartment/house. If they want to live together, let them get their own place.

5) ALWAYS take good phone messages. If your roommate gets lots of calls, buy an answering machine

6) NEVER room with a good friend. It's worth repeating.

Good luck with the roomie search.

4. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I've been rooming with my best friend for 3 years, and our friendship is stronger than it's ever been.

it can be done. it just takes communication.

5. Princess

Princess Member

My present roommate and I both had bad roommates last year, so we decided to live together. It took a lot of thought because neither of us wanted to ruin our relationship. We're both one of each other's best friends and we've been fine since August. We both have our own lives and do our own thing a lot, but it's really cool. Living together has really been good for our relationship. Keep communication open but don't meddle and you should be fine.

Good luck! :D

6. Houstone

Houstone Member

And a lot of kissing, don't worry chievous I won't tell anyone...;)

7. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Is your roomie a she?

8. treeman

treeman Member

subtomic summed up the best advice you could possibly get. They are all good points to consider (and generally true).

I'll add a #6:

Never get a roommate if you can avoid it. Do anything to avoid having to live with someone who will likely use your s*it without asking you, ask you to front some money (for whatever purpose, rent is an inevitability), use your bed at some point, keep inviting over people you don't like, will want to talk to you when you don't feel like talking, will destroy all of your saved video games, will try to "charm" any women you bring there, will eventually argue with you about what kind of dish soap to use...

In short - find a place you can afford on your own. If you're going to move for a job, then at least move for a job that will allow you to afford your own place. If the job doesn't pay enough to get your own place, then stay where you are (unless your current roommate is bugging the crap out of you). But if your new job pays enough to get your own place... Don't get a roommate.

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

It all depends on the roommate you get.

My first roommate was a good friend, and it was horrible. (strangely, he thought it was great)

Then I roomed later with a friend of ours. It went pretty good, except he would often bring over his trashy friends.

Sometimes I wish I had a roomie now. If I lived in a house with a lot of room, I think i could do it again peacefully.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I loved rooming with my friends, it was the best time of my life. Get a roomate and enjoy it.

These rules are nice to read, but deal with your own situation as you see fit.

I always roomed with pals, and never had any real problems, and remember, once you are married you also have roomates...(sorta)

DaDakota

11. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Buy this house

http://www.har.com/search/main/indexdetail.cfm?mlnum=669799

your payments will be about $550 a month (plus a little bit more for Insurance and Taxes). The beauty of low interest rates.

The interest is deductable and a house is typically a great investment.

There's cheaper ones out there too.....you just have to look. If you find a house you can live with for $65K, your monthly payment will only be $400 (with 5% down). If you can't come up with the down payment, there are ways around that.

12. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

My sentiments exactly!

13. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Wow, that house rocks. Right in my area of interest! I'm looking for a place, and that's pretty cool. Close to work.

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Wow, I think I broke every single one of subtomic's rules for roommates. Never had a problem, either.

Of course, not having a roommate at all is even better.

15. haven

haven Member

Sammy:

Yeah, lol. That's what I thought, too. My experiences with my roommates last year was terrible. They were all pretty close friends, but all 3 of them just happened to be neat freaks, and I'm more than a little messy. And they were all finance majors... and during a major project of theirs, I made the mistake of having my girlfriend spend the night a couple times in a row. Eeek! That caused problems... we didn't do anything obnoxious, so I thought they wouldn't care. Boy was I wrong.

16. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Well, that happens. It all depends on the group dynamics. I roomed all through high school with one of my best friends. When we got an apartment, his girlfriend moved in too. It didn't bother me, as long as she was paying 1/3 of the rent and doing her share of the chores, and they "didn't do anything obnoxious" while I was around, like you said... but everyone is different and has their own level of tolerance.

By the way, if you can avoid having a roommate in law school (I don't really know your circumstances) do it. If not, you'll need to find a really good study place away from the apartment during (and at least a week prior to) finals.

17. DiSeAsEd MoNkEy

if i rented a house i would need a pool and/or hottub.

BUT NO im going to live in an apartment this summer.

unless one of you wants to GIVE me your house...

18. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I always liked having a roommate. I had 3 in three years, but that's not because we didn't want to room together. My first roommate graduated, my 2nd roommate moved to a different dorm, and my 3rd roommate and I would still be in the same room if I hadn't graduated. I'd be all for having a roommate now, but I don't think I'm going to move until I see if my last roommate is going to come to Houston when he graduates or not.