1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking for an affordable PC to play "Skyrim" on...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RudyTBag, Sep 15, 2011.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

High settings would be a plus! I want to break out Morrowind and Oblivion and replay those on high settings!

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you...

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

Lol. I'm saving for one as well.

3. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

I'm saving as well. I'm probably going to look to build my own though. My friend got a high end Alienware laptop on craigslist for $900 yesterday. Look there.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly, 900 is a bit out of my price range.
    A laptop would be pretty sweet though...

I really want to play "Morroblivion", it's a mod that converts Morrowind to the Oblivion engine, so I need a PC that will play Oblivion on max settings. Skyrim would be a plus, but I am ok with rolling the console out for a while on that one.

I was hoping to keep it under 500 for a desktop. Is that possible? The cheaper the better...

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

The graphics card necessary to run this game + a decent i5 or quad-core processor + compatible motherboard will set you at $450 to $500 right off the bat.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KX5jNnDMfxA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

There was a deal on Slickdeals that got you a $200 graphics card + 2 games for $129. Then, you could have sold both of the games to get another $50-$60. In hindsight, I should have jumped on that deal... :(

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

9. what

what Member

How old is your current computer? You can save a lot of money if your power supply and memory and harddrive is compatible with the new motherboards.

Then you can just buy a motherboard, video card, processor combination and use your other parts to make the rest of the computer.

But yeah, even with that you alerady going to be set back 500 for those 3 parts alone.

10. Dei

Dei Member

PS3? They're just 250 now.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Those are pretty old games so any modern i series or phenom processor should be adequate. You will need a good graphics card, but I doubt you will need anything that costs more than 150 bucks. Check this page.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic46830.html

1 person likes this.
  12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

I have an Xbox, but I mainly want to mess around with mods from Morrowind/Oblivion etc...

"Morroblivion mod"

Playing Skyrim is secondary, I just want to run Oblivion at max...

13. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Member

You are going to have to build a computer yourself, along with reusing some parts from an old computer(assuming you have one), if you want to get a good gaming rig in that price range.

What are you running now?