1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking for a new job, tips, tricks, advice?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mizhemp, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Mizhemp

Mizhemp Member

So, I've only had 2 jobs in my life. I worked for Kroger for years until I landed an internship at the firm I'm at now as a junior in college. It turned into a full time, offer, and I have been at firm ever since. So I've not had to do a lot of job hunting in the real professional world. I'm appealing to you older, wiser folk who have gone through this before to get some guidance on how to move forward.

My industry connections are somewhat limited seeing as how I only just graduated in 2010 - basically former employees who moved on to other firms and alumni/friends who work at other firms themselves.

Are job search sites like Monster worthwhile? Do you post your resume or just browse the job openings for something that fits? How do I go about asking a couple of my superiors for professional references? I'm in pretty good with the managing partner, but I don't want to tip him off that I'm simply not committed to the firm anymore. If I dont find something, I become essentially a lame duck, and the firm has no reason to promote/give me a raise even if I end up staying for a while.

If profession has any bearing on this, I'm a senior tax associate for a CPA firm. Looking for a similar position, but willing to take an associate position if it gets me in the door at a bigger national firm assuming the salary is reasonably comparable to what my current firm is paying now.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Classic

Classic Member

you should be on linkedin, get on there and create a profile if not

build a network & meet some recruiters

I never had much luck with monster or any of the 'job' sites

just a suggestion...