1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the WEST FINALS Game 3 -- Can the Timberwolves get back in this? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a laptop

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Steve_Francis_rules, Sep 20, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Steve_Francis_rules

I'm in the market for a new laptop somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500. I would like something that is fast and easy to use with my frequent SSH-ing to unix machines and code writing (mostly with emacs). So far I've been looking mostly at Macs but since I've always been a windows guy, I'm not sure if I'm comfortable making the switch. I've seen some laptops available online that have dual boot windows and linux available such as this one. What do you guys think? Does this kind of laptop look like a good deal? Does anyone have any recommendations that you think may be good for me?

Thanks.

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

mac laptops can boot mac osx, windows, and linux. And if you use paralells, you can run all 3 at the same time and they run pretty fast as well.

3. Nuclear Yak

Nuclear Yak Member

Yeah. Get a Mac. I got one for college...one of the best decisions I've made.

4. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

althought it seems I've become a computer illiterate after the years
    I'm loving my new thinkpad
    its the keyboard with no start button I grew up on

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If all you want to do is SSH to Unix machines, just get a Dell, run something like putty and SSH away... :)

6. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

I also vote for the Mac. I bought a Macbook in June, and it's sweet and easy to use. I will never buy anything else.

7. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Buy a Thinkpad. It's pretty much top of the line among laptops. They are very reliable hardware wise, other brands just can't compare.

8. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I agree. It looks nice and solid, and yet quite stylish with the nice material. It performs well. Really no need to get a Mac, still, most of the softwares are based on Windows. Besides, there are so many Windows based Unix terminal programs around, like Putty.

9. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Mac or PC - make sure whatever you choose has the new Core 2 Duo chip in it - it is really a huge leap forward for processors. The one you have linked is a Core Duo - not the same.

Mac Book Pro or if you can find a good coupon dude your getting a Dell.

10. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

I second wating for core 2 duo, and it's possible that Mac may update their line or introduce new models soon with the chip.

11. crums17

crums17 Contributing Member

I just wanted to also recommend the Macbooks. I've been using a Powerbook for a couple years now and love it. My sister bought one of the new MacBooks last week though and I have to say I'm a little jealous, those things are awesome.

12. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

If you're a UNIX guy, you'd be crazy not to get a Mac. The Xwindows support is great, and with Fink you can have native support for all of your unix commands and utilities.