1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Longhorns Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ItsMyFault, Nov 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I doubt San Antonio is possible now... but most likely in the New Orleans region. Tulsa, New Orleans, then Houston. It's not that bad... New Orleans isn't too far away.

It's looking like A&M will be the opponent tomorrow.

Crushed OU today as they should've, just a great all-around performance.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think San Antonio remains quite possible. Remember, the Horns were given Houston in 2008 as the No. 2.

3. Major

Major Member

The problem is Kansas. Assuming Kansas gets a #1 seed, they'll almost definitely get San Antonio, and if they do, Texas won't be in the same region. If Kansas wasn't one of the #1 seeds, I definitely think Texas would be put into San Antonio.

If Texas could crush Kansas tomorrow, I think it actually makes things a bit more interesting. Texas would have 2 double-digit wins over Kansas, and identically 16-3 conference records. Texas would have 3 OOC losses, but a much better OOC schedule. And Kansas' 3 losses would all be blowouts, while 5 of Texas' 6 losses would be 5 points or less. In that scenario, Texas *could* get a #1 seed instead of Kansas, though I don't think it's likely.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think if they're going to end up in SA, it's going to be as a 2 seed...which is perfectly fine. Don't forget, though, that New Orleans is also a regional and not all that far away...certainly not far enough to scare off the Longhorn faithful from attending. Wouldn't be a terrible thing to end up in that region, as well.

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I would prefer New Orleans as it just gives me a reason to go there. It's my home away from home. I'm even getting married there in October.

6. leroy

Congrats! Hopefully, you'll have a reason to make an extra trip.

7. ItsMyFault

The only reason I think they won't be in the SA region is because of Tulsa. Texas is almost a lock for Tulsa in the first round and as Major said... the only way to get into the SA region is if we take Kansas' spot as a 1 seed because Kansas is pretty much a lock for that region as well. What Major said is pretty interesting though... at this point, I don't think anyone is going to put Texas over Kansas even with a win like that mainly because Kansas seems like it's been more consistent than Texas for the season as a whole. If Kansas had of lost to OK. State.. they would've still be a lock for that #1 seed regardless of if Texas won the tourney. I honestly don't mind the New Orleans region though, it's almost the same as the SA road... fans will still get there just as easily.

8. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

As of this morning, Joe Lunardi has Texas starting the show in Tulsa as the #2 seed in the New Orleans regional. They're going to have a potential battle on their hands in the 2nd round, as the projected 7s and 10s include Georgetown, Villanova, Tennessee, UCLA, Butler, and Marquette, to name a handful.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's 816 miles from KC to San Antonio, and 846 miles from KC to New Orleans. I don't see it necessarily being a longshot to have them #1 in New Orleans, allowing UT to be the #2 in San Antonio.

10. ItsMyFault

I could see them doing that if Texas were to beat Kansas. But, I can't see any favors being done for Texas if they don't win this Big XII tourney.

11. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

is there a link to the game? the espn3 is blacked out :(

12. Major

Major Member

True - but they aren't going to move Kansas to help accomodate Texas. They place the #1 seeds first, and then worry about the rest after that. And there's no logical reason to put Kansas in New Orleans when San Antonio is available. SA is natural Big 12 country and a straight shot down I35 for Kansas fans. And that lets one of the more eastern teams (Ohio State, Pitt, Notre Dame, Duke) to be a little bit closer being in New Orleans.

13. Major

Major Member

Notre Dame's loss opens the door just a tiny bit to the possibility of both Texas and Kansas getting a #1 seed. Still not likely, but maybe possible. Would really be helpful if somehow Duke & UNC would lose in the ACC Tourney.

14. ItsMyFault

I think one of them will lose tomorrow. I'm betting it's UNC... they're really inconsistent but they were lucky to win today... Miami really blew it.

Honestly, I'm fine with where Texas will end up. I would just like Texas to beat Kansas' ass to show Kansas who really owns and runs the Big XII.

15. leroy

If they sweep KU, I think they deserve a 1-seed. Especially if they kick their butts in Kansas again.

16. ItsMyFault

I had respect for Kansas... but now they just remind me of the Celtics.. a bunch of classless trash talkers. Their players are just as bad as their fans... It's hard for me to watch these two little Morris twins... constantly yapping.

17. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Kansas is impossible to beat when both Morris brothers are going like that, though. Once those two started off well in that first half, I knew it was going to be a struggle.

Anyways, one thing I absolutely can't stand about this Texas team right now is how some games it's like the wing players get it stuck in their mind to not give the ball to Tristan Thompson.

I mean, there were numerous times when somebody on the wing had the ball and Thompson was in tremendous position, and the guy with the ball just stared at him... It was almost like those guys were mad because they really wanted to drive to the basket and force up another terrible shot in traffic.

18. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Balbay was absolutely pathetic in 22 minutes of action. He laid goose eggs across the board, and was sub-par defensively on the perimeter.

In all honesty, I prefer the J'Covan/CoJo combination. J'Covan has the ability to get buckets at will, and when Thompson's in foul trouble/not wreaking havoc in the paint, Texas desperately needs his offensive firepower. Plus, he spreads the floor and opens up room for Thompson to work on the block, as opponents are forced to play him honest. Barnes' loses a defensive edge with Balbay on the bench, but Joseph's one of the best perimeter defenders in the Big 12, and is more than capable of picking up the slack.

Balbay's offensive incompetence causes too many issues for this team, and I think Texas is a more complete team with J'Covan's superb FT shooting and 3-pt abilities.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Why is the tournament in KC Kansas has an unfair advantage getting essentially a home tournament. KC is only 32 miles away from Lawerence. If the tourney moved and it just happened to be there i wouldn't mind, but the fact that it's there so much bugs me.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Sore losers' first line of defense is claiming their opponents are classless. Very aggy of you to go down that path.

Kansas just whipped UT-Austin branch today. Nuff said