1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lolo Jones, Image is Everything

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 6, 2012.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lolo Jones is not even the most attractive girl in track and field so I don't understand what her PR team is trying to achieve.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think it is about making her. . and themselves rich

4th place finish but coming away with the largest financial enrichment
    well . .that would not be too bad

Rocket River

3. Commodore

Commodore Member

<iframe title="MRC TV video player" width="640" height="360" src="http://www.mrctv.org/embed/115772" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Here is my question: If Lolo Jones was never born, would Dawn Harper and the American lady who won bronze have gotten more endorsement money or would the sponsors just go find some sexy volleyball or swimming chick to sponsor?

5. The Real Shady

Sexy chicks. I don't even think it's a question.

6. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Maybe if someone would have gave her some dick she would have ran faster.

7. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

I never got the hype with Lolo Jones

she is not hot at all

8. Kim

Kim Member

Pretty sure it's a combo of okay-to-good looks + the virgin thing + choking the gold medal away in Beijing. It's a good enough story.

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Member

She's got this gorgeous mixed-race Rashida Jones thing going on. Not classic runway model gorgeous, but she's certainly attractive.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

Right even with guys there's a bias towards attractive looking people. The "Image is Everything" self promotion criticism came up more than 20 years ago with Andre Agassi

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WpuFEpbE0d0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WpuFEpbE0d0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Jesse Palmer didnt mind being "The Bachelor" for women to throw themselves at. (Though the "marriage" element neutralizes some of the effect) Thats straight to the point objectification as anything Lolo Jones could do. Its just not as "sexy".

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

I think a good approach is to USE Lolo's attention for ALL of the sport. Like I think Kelli Wells said, when you see Lolo you'll see HER TOO.

I think its bad when image = CREDIT undeserved, the ones with the face time get disproportionate credit and it doesnt reward the true winners enough. But its kinda like years ago in pop music, Britney Spears is crap but when Britney was at her peak it was helping out the Jessica Simpson, Christina Aguilera, Mandy Moore types too.

I think Lolo and Rashida are more cute than HOT. But can see how the mixed features come across as attractive. Some people might be seeing some "Vanessa Williams" there with Lolo.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

What's interesting about that is that Agassi didn't become a truly great tennis player until he stopped seeking attention for his looks.

13. RV6

RV6 Member

Y'all mad?

[​IMG]

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

I think they're all attractive.

Alicia Keyes is the hottest of the three.

15. percicles

percicles Member

Would smash and marry Rashida in a NY minute. She's Harvard educated and has
    Quincy Jones for a father. Plus, she's a member of the tribe thus making our children members also. $Cha Ching$