1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lolo Jones, Image is Everything

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

It'd be more like

( "lol" ... @ everyone's "mainstream" sentiment.

*smug condescending opinion to show "I'm up HERE, and you're DOWN there" *

*elaborate explanation breaking things down into genetics and evolutionary pseudo science like it has "depth", but its just to validate his condescending attitude*

*sneak in a back-handed insult or 2 within the convoluted talk*

"Ronny regulating" )

2. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

what I meant with my previous post, is that not bad if she is doing that.
    and if Lolo Jones is doing great, nice for her and will prove that what the writer is saying is wrong, so Im rooting for her.

Im not against Lolo, I posted about Leryn to show isnt bad getting attention because of it.

3. RV6

RV6 Member

Oh i agree, you gotta get what you can, as long as they're not cheating or hurting anyone, then they have to get their money while it's there. I just think the way the writer spun this story it would fit Leryn Franco better than Jones.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of competitors have overcome major injuries but don't get as much attention as Lolo Jones.

5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Member

I think most people would agree that she is getting more attention than her accomplishments/talent merit but it is what it is. I think taking the time to call her out on it was more annoying than the media attention.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Consider it a commentary on the modern athletics. After all even we have a thread called "Hot Olympians" so this is an issue.

7. RV6

RV6 Member

True. I'm not saying her looks haven't helped, but it's very different from an athlete who goes out of their way to show them off consistently by modeling, posting revealing pictures, acting, etc. For example, Kournikova first got a lot of attention for dating Enrique Iglesias, after appearing in his music video.

8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

why are you guys knocking her hustle?

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Jones finished a respectable 4th in 100 M hurdles which was considered by most very good for her. On a related note I heard CBS news refer to the race as "American favorite, Lolo Jones, finished 4th."

10. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Member

Good article. And thinking back, I don't recall Manzano being interviewed after his silver. That was an awesome spurt at the end of the 1500 he had. And what about Jenn Suhr too. They gloss over other athletes who have actually won in London.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/story/_/id/8245396/2012-olympics-dawn-harper-kellie-wells-get-medals-lolo-jones-gets-attention

11. ths balla

ths balla Member

isnt it condradictory for the media to complain at all the exposure LoLo has gotten when their peers are the ones showcasing and interviewing her.

12. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Member

I think only if the ones that are complaining are the same ones putting her on a way pedestal.

13. Indaface

Indaface Member

This is this life, if you are attractive you get alot more attention.

Why do you think there were alot more David Carr commercials when he was sucking ass around Houston than Matt Schaub ones?

Or why Tim Tebow get's so much attention, I guarantee if Tebow looked like Jimmy Clausen he wouldn't get all this hype.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Author is a Dickbag and employed a womanly tactic of sabotage/hating.

Tabloidy for the NYT

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I don't think she deserves as much hype as she is getting, sort of like Tebow or Kournikova. It's understandable, if peers are getting a little unease by it, especially when there are much better players or athletes in the field. There's no reason to feel sorry for her. Eating up the attention, but can't handle the criticism.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

I doubt she reads that stuff before the competition, but there are better ways to point out unwanted attention than dump on your national Olympian before she even finishes her events.

Her spotlight does allow others on her team to get noticed...

The pre-emptive cynicism is damn disturbing, and is a continuing trend in news blatantly making the news. Disappointed at the source.

17. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Member

'Deserves' is a very subjective idea. Big media decides who gets the spotlight; it's not merit-based. It's terribly cynical to say life isn't fair, but that's pretty much exactly what the situation is. Snookie gets more airtime than she 'deserves'. The Situation made more in one year than a two term president would earn cumulatively.

For Jones, I don't think it's all that unreasonable to eat up the attention but not handle the criticism well. That's normal behavior for > 95% of people.

18. RV6

RV6 Member

That's the thing, she's not eating up anything. As much attention as she's getting, she could easily be much more popular, if she actually went out there and ate it up. Acting, music videos, modeling, and she's smart and well spoken enough to do some hosting or do much more television appearances. She's been doing interviews with practically no make up, hair is simply pulled back, sweats on, etc.. she could really put on a better "show" for people, if she wanted to. However, I think she's barely done enough to get her story out, so i can't help but believe she's mostly trying to inspire others who can relate, like she claims.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Lolo Jones is the Olympics Jeremy Lin.

And here are the Olympics Melo and JR:

[​IMG]

20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Deserves in comparison to other athletes or competitors relative to their sport. For example with Tebow, he's one of the most cherished athletes in American right now, and he's not even arguably a top 20 QB. It is subjective, but at the same token, it's unwarranted, especially considering he's not a very good QB. You've had five guys who have come out in the last two drafts that look more stable than Tebow at QB.

The reality show stars are a good example, that also fits into this mode as well. It's sort of media and the public that eats up and there's nothing you can do about it, except not watching it. Teen Mom, Jersey Shores, The Kardashians, Basketball Wives (or any other VH1 show), and etc. That's what people like and that's what touches them emotionally.

Lolo Jones is a very good runner, but she hasn't won much, compared to alot of other athletes. I could understand the hype more so, if she won like Phelps or Bolt in dominant fashion. But with Jones having the attractiveness to the general public, like Tebow, it's hard to say.