1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[LOL] Houston Road Rage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by el gnomo, May 14, 2016.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Well... I know Houston and other cities are a mess with traffic/rage (and I'm not defending aggressive driving) but if you're trying to be a road vigilante or slow the flow of traffic in the far left lane you deserve to be ticketed.

I've seen people on a 3-5+ lane highway go out of their way sometimes to get in the far left lane and **** everything up. There's no reason people should be having to pass their slow ass on the right side. The left is for passing. When someone gets in the left lane and people are passing you on the right side in a perfectly safe middle or non left lane etc there's no reason for that. That's why there's signs regarding the left lane being for passing only, and I really think the law should be enforced for that (I know in some states) it is.

2. Victorious

Victorious Member

LOL seriously all you need to learn is some basic boxing. or better yet, just learn how to throw a proper punch. all these mma fanboys think you need to learn a complete arsenal when 99% of people don't know how to fight. "nah dude you need to learn take downs and choke holds to properly survive a fight!!!"

3. what

what Member

It doesn't matter which lane you are in or how fast you are going you are going to get tailgated by degenerates with licenses.

The fast lane, by the way, don't give you carte Blanche to do damn near 70 in a 70 mile an hour freeway. Nor do it give an idiot any reason to cross 3 lanes of traffic and escalating speeds, because he or she has never heard of a break.

There is no safe place on houston highways, no matter where you go, you are always at the mercy of the next dale earnhart behind the wheel trying to put you into the wall.

So please don't give me driving advice. you have no clue.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Many people forget that the most crucial element in fighting is to first take off your shirt. That shows you take no guff from anyone.

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, I don't think you read my response...

I do have a clue, there's laws in states that if you are deliberately using the left hand lane to impede passing and people have to pass on the right side of you (while being within the speed limit mind you) that you are breaking the law. That's all my response said. Nothing about crossing lanes or tailgating.

6. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

You call that **** talking whale a woman?

7. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Its perfectly safe and legal to move out of the left lane to allow cars to pass.

You are making things worse if your the reason why people change 3 lanes to get around your car.

8. what

what Member

what are you talking about?

9. Salvy

Salvy Member

First time I agree with this dumb@$$....

It does not matter how fast you are going on the right lane or any lane.... There will always be some ahole who thinks your are going to slow for him....

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You should not be in the left lane going the same speed or slower than the rest of traffic. It's really not that hard.

11. what

what Member

You should also not be tailgating somebody in the right lane, but I see far more of that then I do of what you are describing.

12. what

what Member

Also, before somebody mentions it: 90 in a 70 .... AT escalating speeds, and Brake

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Im not advocating tailgating. I'm specifically talking about the left lane. Sure, you could go 85 and there's always going to be someone that thinks you're moving too slow. But keeping the left lane is huge.

14. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe they don't want to be pinned in. Maybe they don't trust other drivers so the best defense is a good offense. Get out of the way and let them go.

15. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Exactly. I don't trust anyone out there in them streets. People on the freeway like to drive side by side with clear freeway in front, don't pass the folks about to merge onto the freeway causing us to all brake, or they pass 1 mph faster than the car to the right causing build up. When autonomous cars are the norm and traffic runs smoother people are gonna be like oh wow this is great (it will be), but we could be like that now if folks would pass the vehicles to their right in a few secs, yield for faster vehicles, and leave three or four car gap of space in front of you at least.

One thing I like doing in rush hour is when the cars in the lane to my right and left are braking, I keep off the gas and let the car in front get further away and I watch them brake. Usually I can just roll through everyone else braking without touching mine. I get close to them again and then the lanes start braking again. Rinse and repeat the entire commute. I have no idea why people constantly slams their brakes.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]...

We spoke to the driver of the white car the phone. He did not want to go on camera.

The man driving the car claims the blue truck was speeding and nearly hit his car. The drivers exchanged words. Then the man driving the car claims the truck driver cursed at him, and it grew more heated from there.

The car driver admits he did follow the pickup truck after the truck smashed into them. The man filed a police report Saturday around 8:30pm, about 9 hours after this incident.

We have not been able to get in touch with the truck's driver or the woman seen in the video. The Harris County Sheriff's Office says it's too early to say what kind of charges could be filed.

http://abc13.com/1340065/[/rQUOTEr]

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

what needs to go take a course of Smith Driving

Me thinks he is a horrible driver

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Its getting to the point that I'm beginning to contemplate getting a set of dash cameras like everybody in Russia has.

Completely separate from the law, digging your heals in and saying "this is my lane, go f**k yourself, I'm not moving" is every bit as passive aggressive as tailgating. And some of the other suggestions are more overtly aggressive than anything the tailgater is doing. It escalates the situation.

I'm sure it will be great comfort that you were legally justified when you are slowly suffocating to death because blood is dripping into your lungs, slowly filling up the sucking chest wound that the other guy just opened in your with his gun.

There was an incident last year where some tool (who also worked for Harris County Sheriff's office) cut off come a woman because he felt aggrieved at her slow driving. She decided she was going to "show him", and went right back and cut him off exactly the way he cut her off. I wonder how self righteous she felt every time he has one of her ongoing seizures that she regularly has as a result of the bullet he put in her head.

I get that it is very satisfying, and you feel entirely like you are striking a blow for slow drivers everywhere against speeders, but you know what? He felt exactly the same way with the roles reversed (he was protecting the roads from dangerous slow moving hazards that pose a risk to every driver driving with the prevailing traffic speed) which is why they did what they did in the first place.

The bottom like is someone has to de-escalate the situation, and 99 of 100 times its not going to be the other guy. So decide whether that feeling of being God's own Angel of Justice for 20 seconds is worth the cost of playing a game of Russian Roulette.

Ultimately it doesn't matter who's right. Every time there is a road rage murder, it takes two people who feel that they have to "defend their turf" in order for anything to happen.

BTW, Several times I've seen cops in full uniform and in their patrol cars basically do everything short of flipping off motorists who don't move including shining their ultra high lumen spotlights into the drvers eyes while going 75 on the look and competely disorenting them (and not when they appear to be headed to a 911 call). Don't assume they are going to be total hard-asses and pat you on the back if you get someone to ram into your trunk (and you aren't shot by the guy you manipulated into running into you).

And obviously this applies to the other position (the speeder) as well. I just get a much clearer sense that the slow people feel completely immune from anything that results from their machinations.

#78 Ottomaton, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  19. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Seems like the whole left lane topic comes up here like clockwork every couple of months. I maintain that 95% of these left lane issues come from someone speeding 20+mph over the speed limit is upset at the guy passing people while only going 10mph over the speed limit. The cases where someone is in the left lane going 55mph on 55mph road is so rare, it's almost not worth bringing up, but everyone likes to focus on those "unicorns." And even the majority of those 5% of cases are probably an elderly driver or the result of a left exit that leaves the slow driver has no choice but to get in the passing lane.

The typical situation I run into is I'll be going 68 in a 55 and come upon some cars going 60, so I'll get over into the passing lane. There's nothing that says I have to speed up and pass them "faster." I just maintain my current speed and continue passing the cars. I will get over at the point where I have passed all the cars going slower than me, so I can get over safely without having to brake. I'm not going to rush to get over just so that I immediately have to apply my brakes, which puts me in a dangerous situation. Plus, I don't want to get over and go back down to 60, and put myself in a predicament where now I have to wait for a line of passing cars before I can get in the passing lane again. This seems reasonable to me.

Still, I often get that person going 20-25mph (or more) who starts riding my ass even as I am clearly passing cars in the passing lane. Sometimes he'll even try to go around me, but then he runs into the same "slow drivers" that I would run into if I moved over to let him pass. This makes him even more angry, which I can usually spot by him swerving back over behind me again once he realizes he's not going to be able to get in front of me in time to cut me off. I think sometimes he even thinks I sped up to prevent him from getting in front of me, when really it was his piss poor depth perception and reckless driving that he should be upset about. It usually ends with me getting over less that a minute later when there is a safe opening that allows me to maintain my speed, and then him speeding by glaring at me through his window.

I witness this probably 10 times more than the slow guy driving 55 in the left lane. So yeah, hard for me to even waste much energy railing on the slow drivers. From my experience, it's the ultra fast speeders who are by far the bigger passive-aggressive douche bags in both quantity and quality.

While I agree it's dumb to go out of your way to provoke them. I'm not go out of my way to let them pass. I will get over when it safe for me to get over and allows me to maintain my desired speed. If I have to do anything more than that to avoid getting shot, then I may as well not even leave the house.

#79 DCkid, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

It's funny that everybody thinks they are the expert on how to drive and road etiquette. My guess is if we put a poll up, and asked "are you a better than average driver?" we'd have a situation where it would be answered 99% "yes"....which if that were true, we wouldn't have all these disputes and people complaining about others' driving!