1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lock-Down Perimeter Defender

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by parksn306, Mar 10, 2013.

1. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

I think this season, this team has had 2 major weaknesses. The 4 and the lack of a stopper on the wing. I think we have a plan for the 4 with D-Mo, T-Rob and the other young guys. But we don't have anyone that can be seen as a Tony Allen/Sefolosha type. I have no idea how the rotation would work, but EVERY championship team has had at least one.

Everyone on this board preaches our lack of defense, but I haven't seen too much discussion of this need. Lin/Beverly are too short, Harden is a little ways from being an elite defender and it doesn't seem like this is the role they have for Chandler (or Delfino!). So do you see anyone on this roster that could become our Bowen? Or do you see anyone we might be able to go after in the off-season?

I know the timing of this thread is kind of strange, but we have a few days before the next game and I wanted to see if anyone knew of anyone that might be a good fit. I think it should be the main priority this off-season.

2. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Josh Smith, Iguodala, Mike Conley, Tony Allen, Avery Bradley, Paul George, Sefolosha, Joakim Noah.

Random names that come to my mind.

Josh Smith is a FA this summer and Iguodala I think has a player option, not sure about the rest.

3. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I really think this is gonna be the role for Parsons (and right now he is already guarding the best wing player).

He was a pretty good defender last season and got a bit worse this year while his offense is greatly improving. Two things would help to make him more of a defensive stopper in the future:

A weakside shotblocker in the paint (might be T-Rob or a FA like Josh Smith) - and another major scorer that you run plays for.

If we fix the 4 spot offensively and defensively and take the scoring load of Harden and Parsons with another scorer, the whole team defense will improve greatly.

4. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

I thought Chandler would be that guy for us but this season he has been caught ball watching and gambling too many times. He has the tools but its a matter of discipline on his part imo.

I think Morey did say that acquiring a wing stopper is definitely on the list this off-season. Depending on who is available, this should be definitely the number 2 priority behind the acquisition of another star player. Hopefully Morey pulls through again this off-season and we'll be off the treadmill we've been on for ages.

5. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

I'd be ecstatic if we somehow land Iggy. He's a beast on defense and is clearly what we need right now. If we do get him though, he'd probably start and take over Parsons' spot. I wonder what Parsons' opinion on being a sixth man.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Mauri could probably find one in the second round of the draft. Too bad he'd be sent to the DL.

7. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i wouldn't call Mike Conley or Joakim Noah lockdown perimeter defenders.

8. 713

713 Member

Give Iggy the max.

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Anyway, i think the focus right now has to be on getting the 2nd star. You can get a cheap defensive role player like Ronnie Brewer in the meantime, there's one or two of those every offseason. Once you have a star, you can look for something more permanent.

10. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

looking at the FA list, some of the good wing defenders you could target this summer:
    Tony Allen
    Iguodala
    Ronnie Brewer
    Corey Brewer
    Matt Barnes
    Just a quick check so i'm likely missing some. Also, quite a few with opt out clauses (Kirilenko, Ariza, etc).

11. Sherlockfever

Sherlockfever Rookie

Iman Shumpert, NY Knicks

his intensity on D was amazing.

12. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

what would a paul george-harden-lin trio look like?

with parsons off the bench focusing more on D like a more offensively dangerous kirilenko?? still getting 30+ mins a night

13. larry cook

larry cook Member

yea shumps pretty good as well... super young too:eek:

14. VBG

VBG Member

Mike Conley is a fantastic PG defender.

Iggy fits the running part of our team. He gives us defense and rebounding. He can't really shoot which is his main weakness.

15. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Injury prone too and has lost explosiveness since major knee surgery

16. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

it would look ok. but i don't see how the Pacers could get Harden/Lin/Parsons.

17. lwlee

lwlee Member

Nah, just working his way back. Knicks were rumoured to be shopping him around. Fits in perfectly with Rockets' young lineup. Been shooting well also. Don't know if he will ever develop a consistent 3 but that would just be icing on the cake. The guy was so energetic, he basically tore his ACL by sheer force of his athleticism.

I liked Ronnie Brewer when he was with Chicago. Worked well as a defender in that system. Didn't seem to do as well with the Knicks.

18. larry cook

larry cook Member

it takes time to heal, d. rose is taking all year to get back to full strength physical/mental. Shumps young and I wouldn't be surprised to see him have another break out year like his rookie season whenever he becomes comfortable with his health and the offense or whatever they run down there in Melo's Land now and days.

19. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

If we dont get howard( u know its dm's priority)

try to get Iggy(or another good wind defender) have parsons come of the bench with Defino. that would be an amazing rotation.

Harden/Delfino
    Iggy/ Parsons

I would say if we got Iggy we could probably also still make a run for smith. (dude is not a max) but somebody needs to tell that guy, " we have good shooters, take more of a back role when it comes to offense and be amazing on the defensive side still". And he would have to except it!!

Smith/D-mo or Trob

That would make us deep, If Rockets went that route..........Pipe dreams?

20. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Shump, while young and explosive on D, hasnt been the same since his injury. he stinks like ass now :|