1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Local2Sports) Mario Elie interested in Rockets HC Job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yup, everyone remembers the defense but that was true worth to the team (helped by a shorter 3 point line), compensating for Mad Max's inefficiency.

Elie as an assistant would be a nice symbolic move during non-contending years. He just doesnt strike me as head coaching material, though. Not as sharp and astute as even a Monty Williams type coach...

2. parmesh

parmesh Member

3. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

:grin:How do you know he is not as sharp? By his looks? Certainly not any coaching decisions he has made.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Sounds fine to me...as long as he knows basketball...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mLOBKuvNR2w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sIZkUpnK5Mk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R-1mEwek31U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

A true Rockets legend but can't see it happening.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

this actually sounds MUCH better considering Ellie seems to be someone that can get the players on his side and play much better, kind of like rick.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

why is that?:confused:

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Because we are ruled by hollow men.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I recall when we worked on the Rockets post-game broadcasts. I'm not saying he is non-smart. I'm saying he was kinda dull and boring in his delivery. Don Chaney appears more "coachlike". But being in the booth and being on the sideline is two different things so probably not the best way to gauge Elie's ability

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I posted this earlier but I never tire of watching this.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wfhhBN9L8Sg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

A role player from a championship team? Count me as in favor of it.

Elie really hard to work for what he did in the NBA. Those kinds of guys are great types to be coaches.

Also, it may pay to have a coach with a bit less of a personality than JVG and Adelman had. Elie is just the type of guy you would expect to be more flexible in their thinking and willing to accept some of the analytics stuff management is liable to send his way. And the defensive focus obviously.

I vote yes.