1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Local Repair Shop for Toshiba Laptop

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Jun 2, 2015.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Member

I have a Toshiba P55-A5312 laptop that is need of repair. I’m usually pretty good at these things, but this time a failed miserably.

Mistake #1: Last week I decided I wanted to upgrade the RAM to 16 GB. So I went online to Crucial.com to see what I needed. Instead of purchasing the RAM there I went to Best buy and purchased what I thought was an equivalent.

Mistake #2: Of course once I put the new RAM in the laptop it wouldn’t boot up. It would come on for a split second and power off. I popped the original RAM back in and it booted right up. An obvious case of incompatible RAM. Instead of chalking up my losses, which was at this point was only wasted time, and returning the RAM to Best Buy then purchasing from Crucial.com – I decided to further troubleshoot and came to the conclusion that I needed to disconnect the battery and try it all again.

Mistake #3: The battery on this laptop is internal and can’t be disconnected without unscrewing and removing the back cover to access it. So I Googled a video for basic instructions and what to look for and just went for it. Removed the back cover, disconnected the battery, installed new RAM, reconnected battery…

Now the laptop will not power on at all. Regardless of which RAM is inserted, Power adapter in/out, still nothing. For what it’s worth, I returned the RAM to Best Buy for a full refund, but now I’m left with an inoperable laptop.

Any suggestions on where I can take this in the Houston area for someone to have a look? I purchased it last year or the year before, can’t really remember… But I do know that it’s out of warranty. Which is moot because I don’t think Toshiba covers user stupidity. I paid around $650 for it, so it wouldn’t be that huge of a loss. But I’d like to fix it if its worth it. Not quite ready to spring out the money for that Macbook Pro that I’ve been eyeing just yet.

2. glad_ken

glad_ken Member

Toshiba owner here... Unplug the power adapter and remove the battery again, but leave it out 10-15 minutes. The components should reset. Put the battery back in and try turning the power on.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Member

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I've tried holding the power button for 30 seconds and hitting the reset button with a pin as well but niether of those worked.