1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Local Orlando News] Dwight Howard trade could be imminent

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fullcourt, Jul 6, 2012.

1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Absurd? Right...let me guess...you're one of those "believers" in collecting assets.

The NJ package is "crappy" to you because someone intimate with building the Thunder sees Brook Lopez as more valuable than anything the Rockets can put on the table. Of course, the answer must be...more draft picks...that'll wow 'em.

I'm not sure exactly where you were headed with the ORL-West comment. If the Rockets somehow caught lightning in a bottle, whatever they put on the court next to Howard would be worse than the Magic have been over the past several years. And the Magic at least had a coach with some skills.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Exactly zero teams has given Lopez a max offer sheet. A max offer was given to both Gordon and Hibbert. Heck, one was even given this backup center who barely played called Omar Asik. Yet nothing on the Lopez front.

Lopez as a player may be worth more than any Rockets player. But Lopez at $14-15/yr is not worth more than, say, Lamb, Toronto 1st, White, Parsons, Motiejunas making $6mil collectively.

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Insider: Rockets Making A Play For Howard

1 person likes this.
  4. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Let's finish this ****. Let's go get our boy back

5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

He was never going anywhere but here... time to break out the big guns...

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Some Magic fan:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Ujiri got major props for playing NYK against Nets in MeloDrama.Hope Hennigan is similar chessmaster. <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%2523com">#com</a>'nMorey</p>&mdash; magicfaninTN (@magicfaninTN) <a href="https://twitter.com/magicfaninTN/status/222588317668089856" data-datetime="2012-07-10T07:09:25+00:00">July 10, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

Its funny how most of the knowledgeable people on clutchfans are one step ahead of these insiders...its what we were all predicting last night when the deal was almost done between Orl and Brooklyn...I have a feeling by Tuesday night/wednesday morning, Clutchfans will be blowing up with HOWARD headed to Houston!!...It will definitely be one of the biggest moments in Rockets history and hopefully a long term relaionship with Dwight..
    I know most people can't stand the drama and antics that he has brought to the NBA this year but maybe a new start, new team, new city will put him back on path...Before last year, he didn't seem to stir up much controversey..

Can't wait till all the media coverage begins on the Houston rockets next season...I'm eager to see how Morey builds around DH...

I guess i'm jumping the gun....GET IT DONE MOREY!!!!:)

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The thing about these "insiders" is that the trade in info leaked to them by teams and player agents. Those "sources" have their own agendas in leaking such info. The info are relevant but you can't take them as face value-- gotta read between the lines to guess at who leaked it and what agenda they might have.

For example if a particular deal is really getting close to be done, why discuss details of it with writers from ESPN, Yahoo, Realgm, etc.? Just ****ing finish the ****ing deal. If you are leaking details about a certain deal, somebody probably wants another team to hear it, freak out, and up its offer. Smokes and mirrors.

My own guess about what happens: 3 way deal with Bynum coming to HOU and Howard going to LAL.

Reaons:

1. The Nets deal doesn't make that much sense. Orlando wasn't interested in Lopez (on a rich new contract) until a few days ago. What change their mind? Not to say that Lopez isn't a good player, but he didn't magically (heh, "Magically") become a better player during the last week or so.

2. Besides, when you are recruiting 3rd and 4th teams to take on Kris Humphrie's contract (the length and $ value of which have yet to be determined) as well as multiple smaller $ free agent players in a S&T, we are talking about a lot of moving parts.

3. It seems Bynum's unwillingness to commit to Orlando put a snag on a 2-way Bynum to Howard deal, which would probably have been the best for the Magic. Failing that, Houston's assets may be the best choice for Orlando. I think the Lakers are willing to rent Howard because they have a talented squad and a glamour location that would make it hard for him not to re-up (besides the $ difference).

4. Bynum is willing to commit to Houston judging from reports. I think Morey will be willing to give up more (or, perhaps more relevantly, take back more in unwanted Orlando contracts) for an extended Bynum than he does for a rental Howard. You can't afford to take back too much bad $ with a rental Howard or you are stuck without ways to improve in 2013 and Howard will be driven to leave. An extended/committed Bynum may give you a little breathing spell to clear these contract off your books and make a run at a 2nd star and a good supporting cast.

9. BriBri07

BriBri07 Member

I just dont see that happening Carl because in your scenario basically the lakers would just trade bynum for dwight,while iam sure other contracts and picks will be added to match salary, that isnt close to being a fair deal.....The lakers outgoing players has to be more than just Bynum...

Basically what iam trying to say in short is that ORL would just take our deal and not involve LA if it wasnt getting something sufficient from them.

I still think our offer is far and away the best offer ORL will see until thursday, ball is in their court now to decide weather they can go through this fiasco all year or just rid themselves of the headache......lets hope its the latter

10. thekad

thekad Member

Hopeless.

11. Captainundpants

I'm with you on this one. Bynum is by far the better pick up. Cause like you mentioned in previous report Bynum has said that he would sign a extension here. If we'd have to take a bad contract from Orland I would be willing to maybe get Jason Richardson in return. I think we would still be good on cap space next season to make a run for Chris Paul or James Harden type of player.

Either way if we don't make any trades Bynum will be available as a free agent after this season to still make a push for. But Honestly I would rather have him on the team via trade to be able to give him an extension while on the team than take a chance of letting him become a free agent next year and have a ridiculous number of money thrown at him by different teams.

12. BEARCLAW

BEARCLAW Member

^^^^^

This.

Like I said previously, if Houston were to do a S&T with LA that sends Lee to the Lakers, watch out.

It may signal that 3-way deal Carl is mentioning is happening...

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Oh I can sure as hell wait. I'm not looking forward to the year long media speculation about whether he'll bolt, and where to. Call me crazy, but I don't think acquiring a disgruntled diva who doesn't want to play in our city, is one of the best days in rockets' history. The only way I like us getting Howard is if we have a plan to turn right around and move him for a star prospect that is actually willing to commit long-term to Houston.

Even if we do manage to end up with him, we'll be so asset-depleted and hamstrung with bad contracts, that we won't be able to build around him quickly enough to give him a taste of success, nor will we be able to get the caliber of players needed to compete with teams like Miami, LA, and OKC.

Getting Dwight is not an end in itself. It has the potential to be the beginning...of a lot of problems. If we manage to get him, we have to have an exit strategy because he'll sure as hell have one.

14. Believe

Believe Contributing Member

Howard or Bynum? Neither! Why you ask???

Let's see....

Howard: What is the number one thing that his game relies on? Athleticism right? He plays above the rim. He is a dunking machine. That is a lot of stress to be putting on a bulging disc. This will be a big problem sooner than later. Anyone that has experienced one will agree with that. That in it self should be enough to keep him away. Who wants to go through more yrs of your main player being hurt regularly and your team being strapped financially???

Oh yeah... He also has said time and time again that he does not want to be here and will not sign an extension with us. Get over it already Morey!!!!

Bynum: Has been in the league for 5 yrs already. Has been injured atleast some part of every year. Do you want to pay the max to someone who just averaged 16 and 9 in the playoffs??? Scola could do that!

They both have bad attitudes. Neither will get us anywhere with what we will have left to build around...

LET IT GO! Rebuild now! We are already ahead of the game in a normal rebuilding effort.

Do NOT cut off your nose despite your face!!!!!

15. ihatekobe

ihatekobe Member

The fact that it was reported that a trade was getting close to being done over two days ago makes me feel like this is just smoke and mirrors.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

If the Rockets could trade for Dwight today, this a package they can do right now.

For Dwight:
    Martin (SG, expiring) + Patterson (PF, rookie contract) + Morris (SF, rookie contract)
    draft rights to White
    TOR lottery pick
    DAL 1-20 pick
    HOU first round pick

For Richardson or Davis (both bad contracts)
    Livingston (1 mil guaranteed)

Nelson (FA), Duhon
    Martin, Q-Rich
    Turkoglu (1yr fully guaranteed), Morris, White
    Patterson, Nichsolson, Harper
    Davis?, O'Quinn

17. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

In Murray I trust.

18. Garner

Garner Member

As Houston continues to amass picks, I'm becoming increasingly attached to the allure of using them for our own team instead of flipping them for a potential rental.

I'd be happy to flip them for an extended Bynum at this point, however.

19. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Dwight is rotten trash leave him alone. We have good potential in our rookies and should not trade them away to rent him for half a season while raping our teams future.

20. eman

eman Contributing Member

DHo: bad back. Bynum: bad knees. Let's go with youth.