1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Local Orlando News] Dwight Howard trade could be imminent

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fullcourt, Jul 6, 2012.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

The deep, horrible luxury tax doesn't start for a couple of years. They don't care right now because they need to win right now. Even at the cost of the future.

The Bynum situation is different, as the contract extension from next season on will carry them deep in luxury hell for years. Also, the Lakers don't have unlimited resources like the two NY teams. They actually do need to profit from the team. They only carry a huge salary because they make a ton of money.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Les has not shelled out nearly $20 mil yet. I forgot about amnesty bid. So, it will probably be $17 mil. I've not seen Les shell out $17 mil. The Rockets will probably be able to buy two better picks than the Knicks picks with $6 million dollars.

I agree Martin will not be amnestied. I have a hard time not seeing Lamb as a Magic if the Rockets get Howard. Martin is better short term, but I think the Magic are going for a full youth movement. I think they would prefer younger players for salary matching purposes if possible.

As before, I would prefer the Rockets amnesty Scola. I just think Les would prefer not paying it if he can.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Twas the night before....................

(you can finish it)

4. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Pao and Kobe are only on the books for 2 more years. Pao can be dumped.

5. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Trade day and all through the league

all phones were ringing, for Howard you see.

the bridge has been burned, and he's ready to go

Houston's package is large, who would say no?

Camby is gone, in a trade to the Knicks

A rental in sight, is it worth the risk?​

4 people like this.
  6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

not bad. rep'd.

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Scola's contract i think is helping the rockets stay at cap min...i dont think you can just cut him...im not sure with exact numbers but ill get a better idea after the 11th and 14th

8. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Not news, but I thought it was funny.

Chad Ford @chadfordinsider
    Not so far fetched RT fivethirtyeight: Sources: Magic accidentally deal Dwight Howard to themselves in 26-team trade.

1 person likes this.
  9. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Great job. Great effort. Well done.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Don't you wish you were a wordsmith? It would have made your months long campaign to convince us that Howard is coming to Houston a lot easier! ;-)-

And by the way, I'm still rooting for you to be right about that.

11. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I love the idea of getting Jason Thompson. He was the man before Cousins came along. He is still very good despite being behind Cousins. I actually wanted him in a trade with Lowry and their #5

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

thompson is not a C he is a PF

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You know what I would do if I were Rob Hennigan, the GM of the Magic?

Trade Dwight Howard to Houston, make HOU take as many bad contracts as possible. Take back only expiring contracts or very cheap ones.

Then, in 2013, I should have enough cap room to sign Dwight Howard as a free agent and add Chris Paul as well since my pay role will be free of bad contracts. Trade the young players and draft picks I received from Houston for a supporting cast around Dwight and CP.

Rebuilding done. Genius.

14. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

You might be on to something...

15. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure that's Houston's plan. Get Howard first. Trade away guys on longer deals with the assets we have left so it's only Howard + young guns. Then we try to pry away Chris Paul.

16. SRR21

SRR21 Member

2h Carl Landry Carl Landry ‏@CarlLandry24
    LoL RT @fivethirtyeight: Sources: Magic accidentally deal Dwight Howard to themselves in 26-team trade.

Pretty funny right

17. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

No....it's only obvious to people who are still "Waiting for Superman".

The Rockets have been invited to sit-in on a poker game where they are by-standers...another seat at the table to guarantee an ante will continue to be met.

And while on the surface it appears loaded with bravado, the true storyline (to anyone with an unbiased eye) is this. The Howard to Houston saga creates media churn for a team that...outside of the city of Houston...is fundamentally NBA irrelavent.

The only "brilliance" related to the Howard fiasco is this. Once the Rockets fail (not if but when), the Rockets have carte blanche to tank. What else would anyone expect from a team whose Summer League roster nearly parallels it's regular season rotation?

The sadness in this is two-fold. The MOF's will tell us how close he was (again). :rolleyes: And then we'll have to listen to the next "Rockets have cap space and picks" free agent fest which will revolve around Chris Paul. Who is also not coming to Houston.

1 person likes this.
  18. meh

meh Contributing Member

This is absurd to say the least. Unless you think Morey was brought in so NJ can give Orlando a crappier package than they formed half a year ago or even a few days ago. It's pretty clear that NJ trade only came about because other teams aren't willing to give Orlando all their demands, so they have to settle for the crappy NJ package. Morey gave his best shot at the draft, where Orlando could've had their selection of numerous high picks, probably including pick 8 by trading Lowry. Instead Orlando sat and waited, but no one else upped the ante or situations arose, like Bynum telling Orlando to go screw themselves.

If Morey was truly willing to give up all our future assets plus take on their crappy salaries, Howard would be in Houston in a few days. But obviously, Morey and Les feels like a barely contender in the vein of 4th or 5th seed in the west is not worth giving up everything. You may think this is a stupid decision, and that the Rockets should take on Hedo and Richardson while giving up all our upside, but there is a line one should not cross. And I for one will prefer to see a full rebuilding process over Orlando-East for next season.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

But they added Nash, and Kobe probably would get another contract, even against the best interest of the Lakers. And by then, the Lakers would be paying the fullest penalty. Paying extra for Dwight Howard? Worth it without doubt. For Bynum? I know he's the 2nd best, but he's still way behind #1.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Here's an idea:

Morey should reach out to Kris Humphries and let him know that if Asik's contract offer (or maybe even Lin's) is matched, HOU has interest in him to the tune of 3 years, $22.5M guaranteed ($7.5M/year). This is probably a little below what Hump wants (he made $8M last year) and deserves, but should establish an absolute market floor and make it harder for NJ to use him as a trade pawn for Dwight Howard (he won't agree to a smaller contract as part of a S&T).

Sure he's another natural PF, but he played a good chunk of his minutes at C and is a capable defender, elite rebounder and shot blocker even as a C. So, if you don't have a real C, he might be the next best thing. A 3 year contract should also have no negative impact on future flexibility (if he performs at the same level, he should have good trade value).