1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Local Orlando News] Dwight Howard trade could be imminent

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fullcourt, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I don't think it's all that absurd for a team like Cleveland to want a guy like Humphries. Maybe they showed zero interest because he was restricted?

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

He's unrestricted. Cleveland had and has zero actual interest, unless they're getting major sweeteners. And even those aren't enough to justify a multi-year deal.

3. slpntz

slpntz Member

Would be hilarious if a team comes along and signs Kris Humphries to contract. Wouldn't this mess up the deal since Nets could only match?

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The Nets wouldn't even be able to match, since he's unrestricted.

5. JonesDaddy

JonesDaddy Contributing Member

Cavs drafted Thompson last year to play the 4 (same position as Hump).
    They wouldn't have passed on Robinson in the draft if they wanted another PF.
    Hump gets in the way of Thompson's development.
    Cavs are willing to rent their cap space for picks until there is something worth paying for.
    Hump is the epitome of big numbers on a bad team.

That's why Cavs don't WANT him.

6. Fullcourt

Can anyone explain the implications of the BYC on players in this deal?

Base year compensation

Certain players in the first few months of a new contract are subject to base year compensation (BYC). The intent of BYC is to prevent teams from re-signing players to salaries specifically targeted to match other salaries in a trade (in other words, salary should be based on basketball value, not trade value). A BYC player's trade value as outgoing salary is 50% of his new salary, or his previous salary, whichever is greater. BYC applies only to players who re-sign with their previous team and receive a raise greater than 20%. It also applies only when (and as long as) the team is over the salary cap. Under the 2011 CBA, players subject to BYC cannot be traded before January 15 except in a sign-and-trade, and BYC is only applied to outgoing salary in sign-and-trade deals.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Something tells me Dan Fegan is doing his level-best to make sure NO team does that. I'm willing to bet Fegan would threaten any team that DOES approach Humphries for a deal with the potential of being blackballed by any of his future clients. I really think Fegan is the puppet-master behind all of this right now, and David Stern is allowing it to happen.

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Those Rocket picks looked so much more valuable
    - Hennigan

9. Garner

Garner Member

For the life of me, I can't understand why these teams are so eager to take help Brooklyn form a mega power so long as they can bring on the likes of Kris Humphries?

As a GM, I would be interested in benefiting my team as much as sticking it to the others (see Asik and Lin poison pill contracts).

10. Fullcourt

IMPORTANT

Alright this coming straight from the Bimathug of Orlando fans:

"BYC" technically no longer exists, but it was replaced by an identical rule that only applies to S&Ted players. And since I don't know the name of that rule, I'm going to call it BYC.

Essentially, if a player is S&Ted and their new salary is greater than 125% of their previous salary, then their salary in a trade(in terms of matching salaries between teams) isn't their new salary; it's the greater of half their new salary or 125% of their old one.

So lets say the Nets wanted to S&T Brook Lopez with a new 16m contract(in reality, he legally can't get anything close to that). Ok, fine. His incoming value for Orlando, so what Orlando would have to match with, is 16m. But his outgoing salary from Brooklyn is just 8m, so they could only receive 10m in salary in return. Any more than that, and the trade is illegal.

The currently listed trade has Lopez, Gaines, Williams and James all becoming BYC players, and all of them would have to get big enough raises that their outgoing trade value would only be half of whatever their new salary is. The apparent idea is that Brooklyn would get around that by dumping a monstrously large one year deal for Humphries to Cleveland, who can use their CAP space to just absorb Humphries, but if Humphries gets more than 10m a year, HE becomes a BYC player, and then the only way they can get his outgoing value above 10m is by giving him a contract in excess of 20m, and holy **** why are people buying any of this?

11. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

Yeah it's kind a stupid. I think Cleveland was looking for a 1st round pick for their troubles, which would be worth taking on Kris Humphries for a year.

12. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Dwight Howard is just proving to everyone that he is a bad person. He is selfish and a big diva. If he doesn't get what he wants, he will do whatever he can to turn the organization into a big mess.

Please don't trade anything for this big selfish diva. If traded here, Dwight will pout and whine every single game. He will cost us many games and give up on plays. He will do whatever he can to ruin this team from inside out. He is not worth a penny. He will create a big mess for the organization, ruin the chemistry, cost us fans until the day he finally get to walk free to the Nets while Orlando gets all of our high picks and young talent. Dwight Howard is a big selfish person and we do not need a person like that on this team. He will not even get us close to contending anyway. He won't help us any more than having a few 2nd round picks that will stay here for years and improve on their game...

13. Fyreball

This post just makes me feel a WHOLE lot better. We are talking about a BUNCH of marginal (read: bad) players getting huge raises just to make this deal work. Why ANY GM in the NBA would be willing to do that (outside of under-the-table agreements) is beyond me. The Magic would be crippled for damn near a decade, while the Cavs would be wasting their cap space on a marginal player, all to allow Brooklyn to form the next super team. Something does not add up.

Something tells me this entire scenario was dreamt up by Dan Fegan and Mikhail Prokharov in some VIP room while smoking cigars and drinking scotch. They then decided to leak it to the media to put pressure on the likes of Rob Hennigan to make it feel like Brooklyn was an inevitability. Why would I not be surprised if it was Dan Fegan who made the phone call to the Clippers about MarShon Brooks?

14. Fyreball

Unless it's through a trade, how will Dwight Howard "walk free" to the Nets?? They are already in luxury tax territory as it is, which means they would not be able to acquire a player like Dwight Howard. Top 3 talented players don't just become available everyday, and the Rockets would be foolish not to give it their best shot. The reason for tanking is to HOPE to get a player of Dwight's ability, and by all accounts, that player is not there in 2013. It's been hashed out a thousand times why the Rockets pursuing Howard makes complete sense.

15. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Trade him to the Nets already, I want to see how badly the Magic make out with Brooks instead of Bynum. I mean seriously? They really should've taken what we offered but who cares, I'd rather not gut the entire team for a *slight* chance to resign a franchise player. If we sent off everyone who would we even have to put around Dwight? More bargain rookies? Whatever, let's see if the restricted FA's get matched, then move on!

16. Fullcourt

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The Rockets refuse to give up on the Dwight Howard derby, gathering more assets to try and entice the Orlando Magic to engage in talks</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/222482482904309760" data-datetime="2012-07-10T00:08:52+00:00">July 10, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

How would this put pressure on Hennigan? Nothing happens unless HE pulls the trigger on it. If this is bogus or overstated...he would know. If this is being leaked...it has to be by Orlando brass to make LAL (we wish Houston) sweat.

ORL wants Bynum, and wants him to extend as a condition of the deal. They need someone in LA to sweet talk him into it, or to work with a facilitator like Houston to shower them with a bigger offer than they're hearing.

18. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

whyyyyyyyyy?......

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

What do you mean why? That ought to be obvious--to acquire a top 3 player in the NBA.

1 person likes this.
  20. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

real talk