1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Local NBA TV Broadcast Crews ranked! Where do Bullard, Worrell and Drexler rank around the league

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Harden2Capela, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

Nobody is as bad as Mike Breen. I can never forgive him yelling out Curry's name multiple times while Harden is nailing dagger step backs in game 4 of the WCF.

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

To me Denver still has the worst commentators. They're obnoxious on top of being homers. Sean Elliott is next. Then the Boston guys, not because they're mean or anything, it's just they don't have the heart to force Tommy Heinsohn into retirement. At this point he's giving Tommy points to black guys five rows up. Because he's blind.

But I have to say the sideline reporter for Boston is the best.
    [​IMG]

3. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Miami is the best imho

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

i assume the low score is the worst

5. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Worrell has been good for a while. I like Bullard too. I wish Drexler would give a more serious take on in-game scenarios. He's a former star on a team and HOFer, he should be sharing his mentality going into clutch situations, time outs etc.

He just sticks to superficial comments and light jokes with the others. A regular John Doe could sit down and do that. It's like he's not really into the game like Bill and Bull, cuz you know when those guys get frustrated on air.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Drexler still sucks. Worrell is just that good even though he's slipped a bit. Bullard has improved a lot.

7. noppeper

noppeper Member

Worrell is fantastic (despite his depressive tendencies when the Rockets are sucking it up) and Bullard is warm, and sprinkles good insight around his affable personality. But I wouldn't put the Rockets broadcast team near the top.

Living in Denver, I have to deal with their crew regularly, and would put their crew right at the bottom. Marlowe has a volleyball background and is generally clueless. Hastings is a true Denver-ite, so he knows his football, but despite his background, is basketball clueless, and is a whiny little boy to boot.

I know this is subjective, but Knicks, Lakers, Timberwolves and Nets are the best. Worrell is great, but he really has to step it up to pick up Drexler. Just like the majority here, I really wish Calvin Murphy would replace Clyde.

8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Ka-Boom

9. Exiled

Exiled Member

Their announcer sound just like Donald Duck IMO, but not bad at all

10. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

How fitting is it, in 2 of the quotes he uses for Drexler, Clyde comments on how the person is "world-class" hahaha

11. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

This is how I know the list isn't all that impressive. After years of watching "Away" games on NBA League Pass, Denver is clearly the worst and hardest to listen to... though I do admit they have a particular dislike for us lately (They really harp on their dislike for Harden's game, and cry every time he gets to the line, ignoring any contact), it's been bad there for years, and that Hastings cat is a bitter and delusional dude. Also, I've always thought New Orleans had a pretty good crew, compared to the rest of the league.

Perhaps how they relate to one's own team is a big factor in this... if they are consistent, but still...

While people may harp on Clyde being clyde and crew's being homers, I can honestly say that our guys do a good job putting their broadcasts together, provide insight, and tell it like it is more often than most, especially bull. I'm not surprised our guys ranked highly.

12. Zergling

Zergling Member

Lol this is a damn joke

13. beardnation

beardnation Member

I do enjoy our broadcast crew although I do happen to hear an above-average times that they are bias towards us. Or maybe I'm just hearing things and wanting our Rockets to win.

14. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

Drexler is an embarrassment

15. PhiSlammaJamma

There's a mouse in the house somehwere.

I like the broadcast team. I personally think Drexler is underrated because he has a lot of stories he fits in from the past that get overlooked. He's a lot more relaxed and less bias then he used to be and let's it flow sometimes rather than being PC or repeating Bill. Yet still falls into that a lot. But I think he gives the opposing fan something when they watch less than we do.

Bullard was so bad in his tryout with ESPN that ESPN gave him the Rockets highlights so he could beat out Dee Brown and he still didn't deliver anything but a boring recap. And lost. He's gotten a lot better since those days. He brings numbers and context. I like.

Overall I enjoy the games.

16. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

FWIW, this is just taken from a random guy's blog. Not only that, but he seems to have some personal "issues" as well. Besides some racist propaganda in his other entries on his blog, I don't put much stock in a guy's opinion when he is suggesting misogynistic improvements such as, "If you’re going to ask flat questions, at least push out your sweater nicely." (at the end of the Minnesota section)

All that said, the team isn't awful, but I for one greatly prefer the radio broadcast to the television.

17. Rox23

Rox23 Member

If you watch enough guys you notice that Bill and Clyde DO have biases (if Bullard has biases then he hides them very well).

Clyde has man-love for TJones and Bev; with Clyde, these two guys can do no wrong--EVER. Bill has a thing for DMo.

18. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I still dream the Rockets mend relationship with Calvin so we can have the Bill and Calvin show full time.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nice find, OP! Well deserved ranking, in my humble opinion, although if we had Murph instead of Drex, and put Clyde in the halftime show, keeping Bull around as a third wheel, they'd be a heck of a lot better, despite Lowe putting them at #1.

20. koldlaser

koldlaser Member

If I only hear our crew twice a year then I would rank them 10 or 11 at best. But listen to them on a regular basis and eventually the debris from the broken record make its way to your brain that you could be one Clyde's cliche away from hemorrhaging.