1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Local NBA announcers rated from best to worst by fan voting.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Phreak3, Jan 28, 2016.

1. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

I sometimes stay in the car longer to listen to radio instead of watch it and hear our broadcasters, but despite how good Ackerman is, Joel Blank is as bad as our TV guys. When I watch the tv broadcast, I always watch it on mute at this point. Rather listen to some tunes.

2. HookemHorns1250

I agree ours are pretty bad, but as long as the Celtics announcers are around, and Sean Elliot is calling games for the Spurs, I'd say we are at least 28 at worst.

Pen15clubber and don grahamleone like this.
  3. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I remember last year when Calvin was calling the game with Bill.. and Bill was SO much better. Night and day really.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  4. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

Only one I can listen to is Bull. He does show some insight, provides analysis and diagrams the plays. Drexler is awful, just a "yes" man to whatever the others say. Now Bill, his time should have been over a long time ago. So tired of hearing "if we get some stops and make some baskets we can get back in this". Duhh! If we can make a few stops we have a chance.

Oh please..... Bill get getting close to listening to Milo announcing. Change please

5. OpenLayup-Why3?

Those who watch NBA TV and listen to OKC announcers - this is how it sounds when non Rockets fans listen to Rockets broadcast. BLIND bias.

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

fan voting gives you a better impression of how disliked the team is

Pen15clubber and don grahamleone like this.
  7. You Stone

You Stone Member

Man the Rockets announcers are awesome fans. I am happy we have them. The officiating has sucked tonight (as well as this season) and they don't let them off the hook.

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

Houston Fans need to start a "Drexler Sucks" chant during the games. He is awful.

Rocketeer4Life likes this.
  9. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

This.

Westbrook hit Brewer PLAINLY in the face, but Michael Cage swears "he hit the stanchion". No acknowledgement of Westbrook's face slap.

10. AusFan

AusFan Contributing Member

Having just watched the Thunder game I can see why they are nearly bottom.

Clyde is like Bill's echo.

11. BAM

BAM Member

bill is good, he was great when it was just him and calvin, they had great chemistry.

clyde is prolly the worst, he has no idea what is going on, half of the stuff he says makes no sense

bullard always repeats the same dumb jokes, it gets annoying, he also complains way too much about flopping and fining guys

12. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Harsh. I've heard fans of other teams say good things about them. It must have been because of Clyde.

13. Farhan583

Farhan583 Member

I'm pretty sure it's actually cause of Bill Worrell. Obviously Clyde is bad, but for a neutral/non-Houston fan, Bill is bad in his own right. For the majority of the teams in the NBA, the play-by-play guy is supposed to be objective and let the color guy display blind homerism. Bill does decent play by play but just gets livid and complains about calls all the time. He brings up perceived slights from like a quarter before. Again, that's not usually what play by play guys do for other good announce teams.

Having said that, if you all enjoy listening to the crew then forget what everyone else thinks. They may be annoying to everyone else, but who cares.

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

Just had to put this somewhere to discuss the blind homerism again. I have nothing against local commentators rooting for their team, being more excited about their team than the opponents and actually think with a lot of plays from the opponents Worrell and Bullard give credit, but on this just ridiculous foul call on MCW how in the world can Bullard justify it and say it's on him. That was clearly Harden jumping on his back to sell a foul. MCW was playing good defense there, Harden just didn't want to fight for position and knew he had 5 fouls probably.

This has happened so often that even after the replay shows clearly a Rocket fouled, it's off of a Rocket or whatever, Bullard and Worrell try to stick to their point or say well I can't really see it, but...very rarely do they admit they were wrong so they just stick to their homer opinion. This is why they are perceived the way they are and I think they need to clear up some of their bias. I didn't include Drexler because I don't listen to anything he says, it's all bullshit anyway.

jsingles and krmclaughlin like this.
  15. juanm34

juanm34 Member

16. Rox11

Rox11 Member

I hate the co from gsw, dislike the one in Cleveland who always say Labroooooon! And the celtics take the cake for me

17. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

the Boston Celtics commentary is the worse

ramotadab likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Impeding progress...

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Dead last.... wow.

I like Bill, but he's a homer

Clyde is bad.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You're as blind as Tony Brothers. Harden never jumped at all. MCW just got over aggressive and made a dangerous defensive play picking up Harden. If he played defense like he's capable of, he wouldn't have committed that foul. Since when was going under a player something refs don't call? I bet you're one of those dudes that's pretty short, can't jump, and every time an athlete jumps for a ball, you undercut him.

That's not a safe play and MCW clearly made the play awkward just like Bull said. I agree that they can be homers and all that, but you picked out a terrible play to dissect for yourself. Really weak argument.

... I bet you thought Ariza kicked that ball too, didn't you? Don't answer that, I won't read it anyway.

ramotadab likes this.