1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Local NBA announcers rated from best to worst by fan voting.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Phreak3, Jan 28, 2016.

1. dmoneybangbang

Definitely agree about Bull and he can be a bit witty and dry which I appreciate.

2. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

I work at Fox Sports and hear all the Fox announcers every night at work. The Cavs are by far the worst. I have to literally mute the TV to watch them. The color guy screams "LEBRON JAMES!" at least 7 times in a game.

I'd have to say that the Clippers are my favorite in all of the Fox broadcasts. Lawler has so many great sayings and at the end of all the games he gives off so much great energy and is so real. Every time they play the Rockets, they have nothing but nice things to say about Dwight and Harden.

My Fox rankings:
    1. Clippers
    2. Hornets
    3. Bucks
    4. Magic
    5. Wolves
    6. Pacers
    7. Thunder
    8. Suns
    9. Pistons
    10. Heat
    11. Hawks
    12. Pelicans
    13. Grizzlies
    14. Mavs
    15. Spurs
    16. Cavs

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Wasn't there a similar list last year that had the rockets much higher?

Anyways Clyde isn't good, but Worrell is a legend and Bull isn't bad. There are some booths like the Spurs which are just ****ing terrible.

4. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Worst: Rockets
    Best: toss up between Knicks and the Heat

5. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I also enjoy the warriors broadcast

6. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Drexler is an embarrassment, and should not be allowed to announce.

Rocketeer4Life likes this.
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I love Bill Worrell. Bull is a huge homer, and I could do without that part, but he brings interesting insights to each game. They are also fun to listen to.

I think their homerism is being overhyped at this point. I've listened to other team's broadcasts that have pissed me off plenty of times with homerism. Most broadcasters only really talk about their own team's players, their own team's triumphs, and their own team's virtues, with a token nod to the other team when it's required.

I hold national broadcasters to a much different standard - and it sounds like these readers aren't rating local guys by the right standards. Kind of like rating a bunch of comedy movies by how serious they are. Not entirely the point.

8. malakas

malakas Member

How you don't have the Nets no.1? They are by far the best imo. They are funny, have humour, have "games" with questions and show plays to the audience. And they are pretty fair.

9. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

The Nets are on YES, which is under the Fox Sports umbrella, but I don't have great access to their broadcasts, so I haven't really seen them.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Worrell is a legend, and any real Houstonian with ties back to the glory days appreciates every game we still get to have with him calling the games.

Yeah he's a homer, but who gives a sh#$? He's awesome, and he doesn't care about some snobby NBA blogger out of Pennsylvania. He's there for Houston fans, and Houston fans only. I love Bill.

Bull & Clyde.... well I have to say Clyde has gotten better but his first couple years were just an absolute train wreck. I think this year and part of last year he finally started doing some preparation for the games, and seems to be bringing more to the table. Bull just tries too hard to be funny. When he focuses on breaking down the game, and not restating over and over the 3 things he'd like the league to change, he's okay to me.

Nothing IMO is worse than the Clippers broadcast. The color guy always just sounds amazed at the most basic things the Clippers do. You'd think the Clippers have won 10 titles in a row or something. By far the most annoying broadcast IMO. But if was a Clippers diehard (if there is such a thing), maybe I'd think differently.

Home broadcast guys should be geared towards their fans. There is a TON of cynicism in the NBA media and its actually kind of refreshing to actually just root for your team rather than constantly having everything be a negative cynical jab at every damn person, coach, front office, ball boy, etc. all day every day. Its exhausting to follow guys like Amin, Haralabob, etc. Its nothing but negativity, cute whips, and cynicism. How about we just enjoy the F-ing game for a day please.

I hope we get many many more years with Bill & Co. I love the guy, and he's a Houston legend. We need to encourage more respect for what he brings to the games on a nightly basis.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree with you about Bill and Bull. A very nice post.

(rant)

Clyde? Yes, he's gotten a little better, but going from the sewer to the curb isn't that big a leap. He brings down Bill. Drex has been a downer for Bill since he first sat next to him to call a game. Put Bill with Calvin Murphy, keep Bull, and you suddenly have a vastly better crew, in my humble opinion. I realize that Calvin probably offends Les with his funny suits, crazy sense of humor and strong opinions, but we need him back calling the games with Bill. The "experiment" with Clyde has gone on long enough. For heaven's sake, Les needs to put an end to it. Put Murphy next to Bill until he decides to retire and Alexander will please the vast majority of Rocket fans more than he realizes. I love Clyde the player, but he needs to be doing something else with the organization. I don't doubt for a second that Morey could come up with a suitable role for a champion, a Hall of Famer, a Houston hero, one that doesn't involve calling the games. Save us from Clyde the "Broadcaster," Mr. Alexander. Please!

12. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

I think the Nuggets are the worst, homers like Rox but they dont have the corny humor of bill and bull

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Bill is Houston, through and through.... Theres nobody that represents Houston sports better than that man. He does it well and does it with pride. His face seems to get more plasticy every year but the day he finally retires, everybody thats b****ing about him, will see how truly lucky theyve had it throughout all these years.

14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Yeah because fans aren't biased at all, lol. Now if fellow broadcasters voted on this I would take it seriously.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You really think fans have a vendetta against our announcers? They suck. They've sucked since Drexler joined and they will keep sucking and trying to reminisce about 20 year old games.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Clyde sucks. Of this there is no doubt. It's time to cut the cord and get a real color guy... maybe a Hall of Famer with years of experience calling games... if only we had a guy like they we could pair with Worrell.

17. DMO (DJ remix)

I would have to say Raptors are by far worst, well at least for me, i can't stand any of them, self entitled pricks, constantly talking about some random bull****, play by play by them sometimes are like a ghost stuff, crew them, how they're ranked so high is beyond me.

18. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

ESPN worst announcer Joh Barry.

19. MadMaxwell

MadMaxwell Member

I had to stream games a few seasons ago so I would have to listen to other commentators.......UTAH was the absolute worst IMO.

20. Celebriduck

Celebriduck Member

Don't like Bill and the crew? Feel free to change the channel. When I'm watching Rockets basketball I don't want to hear about how good the other team is. I want to hear about how Manu is a flopper and how Dwight isn't getting any calls.