1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Local (Houston) Talk Radio Host Calls for Blowing Up of Mosque

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ima_drummer2k, May 28, 2010.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You see, there is one thing we have in common.

2. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

(copy/paste) Basically saying "F U terrorist, we just built a mosque here to stand side-by-side in unity next to what you tried to tear down". It symbolizes unity.

But then what is the other reason beside Islamaphobia for not wanting the Mosque there? Why would a non-Muslim not want a Mosque there?

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Lord have mercy.

Stop trying to frame me.

I'm saying that if mar1juana is illegal, then logically all should be illegal (by that logic).

Which then leads to the notion that "they" are not rational. Therefore I do not agree with them.

I do, however, think that alcohol and tobacco should be MUCH more expensive because of the eventual costs they create. Cigarettes are less than $2 here.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Qazi,

Did you miss this?

DD

5. Qball

Who said it doesn't give the same freedom?

I consider myself a Muslim and I don't believe in the literal story of Prophet Adam and Eve. Some Muslims do. Some Christians do. But I think it was more metaphoric. I don't think there were animals and then WHAM, God decides to make humans. I'm more of an evolutionist. This is just one example. Even Prophet Noah's Ark...don't get me started on that :p .

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

In principle, yes, but the issue is, how much in-depth knowledge can you expect before you can respect that someone else has formed an opinion about something. Obviously, there can be two extremes - I'm a Bayern Munich fan and know pretty much everything about the team (current and past), its players and history. Still, if someone says "Bayern sucks" because they have seen them a few times, they are entitled to that opinion. I can't go and say "you must read about their history and must watch 50 hours of film, otherwise it is pointless for you to argue with me".

I was admitted to the bar in New York and in Germany 12 years ago. I haven't practiced law in 10 years, though (other than drafting some contracts and some stuff). By the way, I also did a course in comparative law in which I heard lectures from an Iranian law professor about their laws.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Fair enough.....to each his own.....being that I am a "Worm" and all.

;)

DD

#147 DaDakota, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Would love to explain this in another thread, but, I also want to point out that in the first verse, it is not "Strong drink"... it actually says "wine" in all those verses.

Later on, the Prophet ALLEGEDLY said that the word wine describes all alcohol.

Even later on, someone else decided that the word wine will again be redefined to mean intoxicants (which then includes drugs).

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I was not trying to frame you - paranoia much? I was going by your verbatim statement "I am baffled about why alcohol and tobacco are legal in several Muslim countries", and was asking for clarification.

Can you clarify - are you ok with non-muslims consuming alcohol and cigarettes legally in predominantly islamic countries? During Ramadan as well? Thanks.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Qazi, I’m being totally honest when I say that your posts in this thread regarding the reason Muslims want to build a mosque on the site have actually changed my mind about the whole thing. It makes me wonder if they just aren’t doing a very good job of communicating their reasoning to those victim’s families. Or maybe they are, but the families aren’t listening? Maybe they’re too personally involved, which is totally understandable.

Or maybe the media is just trying to stir the pot by distorting both party’s opinions. Certainly wouldn’t be the first time...

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I am sorry to hear you have left Islam. I would be just as unhappy to hear you had left Catholicism or any other belief system. Religions are faulty because mankind is faulty. Whether you worship God as Jehovah, or Yahweh, or Allah, or Buddha, or the Force, or multiple facets of God, or whatever, God gave us the ability and even the wherewithal to question Him/Her. I believe it is the striving to understand that ultimately brings us closer to God, even when we profess not to believe.

George Lamsa, a theologian and Bible/Koran scholar, once gave me an explanation of religion that I still regard with verity. He told me to imagine a great mountain with God at the apex and all of humanity gathered in the surrounding plains below. Each belief system, gazing at the peak, chooses what they perceive to be the easiest upward path to God for them -- and that is why there are so many religions and non-religions (those who don't even want to try).

I've gone the long way around the barn to say, "Don't throw out the baby with the bath water."

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

(copy/paste) Can you even remotely see how some people might see it as "The WTC was blown up in the name of Islam. Now a mosque is being built there in the name of Islam and replaces the American symbol (WTC) with an Islamic symbol (mosque). We/they (depending on perspective) won"? And that even if that is not the intention of those who are behind the initiative, it is troubling to the relatives of victims that there WILL be some extremists who will state that point of view?

Maybe that message should be much more strongly communicated then as the central message - and again, a mosque to me symbolizes unity of those who regard it as a place to follow THEIR belief - unity of Muslims - if you want to symbolize unity with Americans, then maybe contributing to a multi-faith commemoration building would be even better?

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

My understanding is that he is 100 % back ;).

14. Qball

No hehe. Gotta give me some time. There are different translations into English (see http://www.submission.org/suras/sura83.html and http://www.submission.org/suras/sura47.html). I was taught that the Quran said milk and honey and being as unbiased as I can, that's still what I believe.

(In no way am I saying that the website above is the ultimate source.)

But back to the conversation at hand...

15. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Ahh I remember these ones. Read the link below please, it's not definitive but it'll hopefully show that these don't appear to be contradictions.

There's an issue of the word 'khamr' which is used in the Quran, whether it defines either wine/alcohol/drugs or all of them, and whether it was outright forbidden or warned against when talking about drunken fights or praying when intoxicated etc.

The third Sura you posted has the word for 'nectar' translated as "pure wine" which is incorrect.

Khamr or Wine?

Btw, post any other contradictions that you have in mind or whatever you've found on the internet.

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Legally yes. Regarding ramadan, I am also legally ok with it.

Obviously, I would find it extremely rude if someone ate in front of me during ramadan just to make a point. So although I would dislike the person, I still support his right to be able to do so since it is impossible for us to judge intent and trying to do so would get us in the mess that is prevalent in countries which allegedly apply sharia law.

I don't see the problem for conservatives either. Watching someone eat gets you more "good deed points" according to Hadith.

Btw, the Prophet allowed drinking, gambling, etc in his country/state according to Hadith. This is a conveniently hidden fact thanks to Islamic "scholars".

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I get the impression that the Koran (as the Bible) can be translated/interpreted in many different ways, and both the more conservative groups and the more liberal ones use that to claim that their truth comes directly from God...

18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I am back, though I wouldn't say 100% back.

I left because what I was being told didn't make sense. So I threw it away and approached it as if none of it was true.

With that process, I came back to Islam, but certainly discarded 80-90% of traditional beliefs.

Highly appreciate your concern though!

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The point of being hungry :). You mentioned you live in Dubai. I have been there many times, also during Ramadan, and I guess the way they solved it was sort of in-between - in the big hotels which are frequented by a lot of Westerners, they did put up some tents outside where people could eat during the day. It was kind of weird to me in the beginning but I respected it and didn't take food outside. Some Russians did, I don't think that was very well-received.

Thanks for the clarification. But if the prophet allowed that, then why would it be forbidden at all? You don't need to answer this, but have you had a few drinks here and there, or would you consider it a sin?

20. Qball

Ummm, I'm confused. What you are saying above, especially the bolded part, is Islamaphobia to me. The people are phobic of Islam and are unreasonably thinking that there are sinister plans of takeover.

I was asking for another reason that doesn't fall into the category of Islamaphobia. For example, if the people were concerned that a mosque would just create a lot of parking issues or something like that.