1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Local (Houston) Talk Radio Host Calls for Blowing Up of Mosque

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ima_drummer2k, May 28, 2010.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

that should be the new tagline for this forum.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

DD, DD, DD...

Please, it's too much..

The victims have passed away. I said so in the first post and that their relatives/friends survive. I said it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back then because I knew you would bring it up. You are saying that these people should seek the approval of the people who passed away on that day?

If there is a group that represents the interests of the victims, at least one of them is without a doubt Manhattan Community Board 1.

DD, please. It's too much. I understand you don't like religion, but you are losing grip on your own values now. The request (which you suggested) was absurd and legally unnecessary to begin with, and despite that, it has been done before you even mentioned it. Grow a pair and admit that this has been handled responsibly and respectfully.

Don't be inclined to resort to personal attacks. Stick to your argument. Just re-state it and see if it has been addressed. You'll find that it has been completely addressed.

Where is the tolerance you're always preaching about DD? :D Why can't you tolerate a peaceful Islamic initiative handled with responsibility and respect? Why are you now suddenly ignoring this GIGANTIC condemnation of terrorism which you've always wanted?

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

How is building a mosque a condemnation of terrorism?

The rest is just the same old round and round crap we go through....both trying for a gotcha and arguing semantics.

DD

4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Admit it.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You guys should just get it over with and kiss already.

What? No one else has seen this movie?

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Where exactly is the condemnation of terrorism in this?

Also, somehow your tone sounds disingenuous here. You are taking too much joy in "sticking it to those who criticize muslims" to make it credible that it is really about the victims for you. That is just my impression, hopefully it is wrong.

7. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

regarding that, see post #11

Issue is not that you question but that you insult. I don't like it when you insult and keep a double standard. When Muslims get insulted or threatened, then it is freedom of speech....when a dumb Muslim insults/threatens a cartoonist, it's Islam being inherently violent. You called for Muslims to denounce the group that made the threat to Southpark. Where is your call for conservatives to denounce this guy's "veiled" threat. (i have a feeling your next move will be to say berry's comments were not a threat)

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a bad thing to say, i was just correcting the guy that said he'd be arrested if he said "i'm going to blow up a church".

Fired is a bit much, punished? Sure.

Dude certainly went over the line in the heat of the moment but at the same time people say things similar all the time but don't really mean it. Like, me saying i hope EnergySolutions Arena would burn down...oh wait...bad example.

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

In your head, do I have the same accent as Saddam Hussein as well? or is it a general deceptive Middle Eastern tone? ;)

10. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

To me, the condemnation is the fact that a "holy" and very important structure is being built next to a place where the self-proclaimed people of the same religion had destroyed a very important structure. Basically saying "F U terrorist, we just built a mosque here to stand side-by-side in unity next to what you tried to tear down".

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Again, these stupid comments certainly do not make you sound more sincere.

12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

ATW, perhaps it is because I gave up on your sincerity a long time ago. You're right, I should have stayed silent. Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  13. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

I think someone needs to blowup this thread

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks for this explanation. Can you even remotely see how some people might see it as "The WTC was blown up in the name of Islam. Now a mosque is being built there in the name of Islam and replaces the American symbol (WTC) with an Islamic symbol (mosque). We/they (depending on perspective) won"? And that even if that is not the intention of those who are behind the initiative, it is troubling to the relatives of victims that there WILL be some extremists who will state that point of view?

15. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

the world of opinion is a complicated mess

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Look I don't believe, but I respect that you do....how is that insulting?

This is the very thing that ATW is talking about, you personally getting insulted because I...read ME....think your religion lacks merit in my opinion.

That doesn't make me right, it just means that for ME, I find it contradictory and not believable.

It is not a reflection upon you, or what you belief, just what I believe.....

Why do you care what I believe, how is that offensive to you?

Maybe this is where we break apart, because I don't care if you believe in my beliefs or think they are silly at all......I am strong enough in my own convictions not to be bothered by others opinions.

100% spot on.....and this is why it is IMPERATIVE that it is done with the victims involved, so that there can be no doubt or credit stolen from the true meaning....again...IMO.

DD

17. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Berry should be fired. Inexcusable. That's my opinion.

I'm not sure I agree with the mosque being that close either, but come on. You can't advocate that kind of violence, ESPECIALLY in this situation. The hypocrisy is quite amazing, really.

Mathloom, you always bring perspective that is needed in these debates, but I do sometimes think you take your stances in these matters without enough perspective of both sides, it can come off as demanding at times. Again, my opinion, and I reserve the right to be wrong. Context and implication are difficult on the webernetz, and it's often a difficult position you put yourself in trying to enlighten without offending. rep for you but I can't say that I always agree.

18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

DD, the difficulty is that we know how little you know about Islam versus how strongly you are against Islam. It shows that your condemnation of Islam is "reverse-engineered".

For example, I know that MadMax has read large parts of the Quran and has been to mosques and has spoken with several mosque-goers. He has not read from a bigoted website which takes text out of context or frames things a certain way. He opened the book and asked questions.

Therefore his disagreement with Islam is not reverse engineered. It is sincere. His opinion has a solid base... and while obviously this is not expected from everyone - your are on the extreme opposite end of that spectrum it seems.

It honestly appears to me this way.

19. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

I dont think it is.

20. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

maybe this is why you offend some people. you are not very open to your opinion being challenged or even augmented via dialogue. you don't want debate, you want to kick back and regard your opinion as something closer to truth. maybe this attitude has served you well in life but it comes off as less than admirable at times. just MHO

1 person likes this.