1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lobbying for Carmelo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, May 6, 2014.

1. BleedsRocketRed

I am somewhat fine with entering the season with what we have right now. Do not extend Parsons, possibly shuffle around our role players. Keep Lin and Asik (at least this offseason) then trade them during the season if needed. Let Lin and Asik expire and make a run for the bigger FA class of 2015.

Love?
    Bosh?
    Lebron?
    Marc Gasol?

2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Melo for the MLE

1 person likes this.
  3. Play07

Play07 Member

Moreys best bet was trading for rondo when he had the chance and getting rid of $18mill of cap by doing that then only brining back $12mill in cap space for rondo this would’ve left $5mill cap space to get another vet this summer, still have MLE, and see what the team could’ve did with 2 yrs of playoff ball with Rondo,harden,howard, if it didn’t work then we could’ve just let rondo walk and had MAX cap space for 2015 summer as was always the plan.

4. jja620

jja620 Member

Does Carmelo even play D?
    Last thing we need is another person who only plays offense

5. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

MARC gasol? for what ?

6. houtown

houtown Member

I don't think Melo isn't coming to Houston. He is not going to give up a chance to play in NYC for Phil Jackson to come to the Toyota Center. There is no better place to win and play than MSG. Not to mention this team has no structure and the Knicks will have at least the triangle offense and Phil. None of this simplistic run and gun stuff.

7. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

You forgot that the Knicks have no talent and no assets. If he stays in NY, it's because he wants the guaranteed money.

8. Showtyme11

Showtyme11 Member

I think a more realistic way to upgrade the team would be to acquire Lowry and Milsap

9. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

We wouldn't have had $5M in cap space and the MLE. And if we used that $5M in cap space and/or the MLE of $5M to sign players we wouldn't have even remotely close to MAX cap space for 2015.

Just all kinds of wrong.

10. LandryMegaBeast

if you guys think melo is bad at defense... watch some kevin love defensive highlights...

11. houtown

houtown Member

Well, I don't no about that. The allure of Phil Jackson could attract some players. Not to mention a major part of the Knicks failures was with their team culture. I think NYC is one of the biggest attraction coming into the offseason.

12. SHARKLIN-SOUP

SHARKLIN-SOUP Member

Melo wants to play for a coach with a system...he likes Thibs...I don't think McHale is a systems coach. McHale is more like George Karl..& we know how that ended up

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The Knicks are capped out between Chandler, jr smith, Amare, and Felton and as an added bonus their lotto pick goes to the Nuggets this year unprotected. They will basically repeat the crap season they just add and waste another year of Melo which he will not tolerate.

He's gone just like Dwight last year and just like Howard there's only one logical destination.

14. basketballholic

Ummmmmmmmmm, we don't have a system?

15. houtown

houtown Member

The Rockets barely have a system. Its like free style basketball.

16. Pak14life

Pak14life Member

The rockets could easily tell the Knicks upon receiving a commitment from melo that we can trade lin+Asik to say Philly but would rather work out a sign and trade with you[the knicks] where we have to give up less and you get soemthing back versus nothing.

Key to that is having the commitment from Melo and scenarios in place if the Knicks call morey's bluff

17. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

He picked it up the last two seasons defensively.

He is a legit superstar. Having watched both him and Harden, Carmelo is significantly better at this point in their careers - more versatile (very good at posting up and good size for putbacks) and dependable.

I think he will end up in Chicago.

18. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

I believe Houston is the preferred destination for Melo and I believe Morey wants a third star like Melo.

The only way Melo can get to Houston is by S&T (this is NOT the same situation as Dwight last year, we have $62 million guaranteed and CANNOT create the cap room to sign him outright - and Melo sure as hell aint leaving $25 million on the table).

S&T is a negotiation between the two teams with an understanding from the player. So what is in the package is negotiable as long as it complies with the rules:

Non-Taxpaying Teams

Outgoing salary (Maximum incoming salary)
    $0 to $9.8 million (150% of the outgoing salary, plus $100,000)
    $9.8 million to $19.6 million (The outgoing salary plus $5 million)
    $19.6 million and up (125% of the outgoing salary, plus $100,000)

Key Players
    Melo is due $23.33 million in 2014/15 (Shamsports)
    Rockets would need outgoing salary to be at a minimum $15 million
    Obvious candidates are Asik and Lin = $16.67 million (cap hit)

I believe Phil Jackson would want Parsons as well because he has had positive comments about him in interviews this year and also something to even the deal out as NY will have to pay Asik & Lin poison pill $15 million cash each (not cap).

MELO TRADE
    Asik 8.3
    Lin 8.3
    Parsons 0.9

for

Melo 23.3

19. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

my mistake. minimum outgoing salary needs to be $18.3 million NOT $15 million.

Other players need to be included to make up 18.3 million (but less than 19.6 million)

Most likely Daniels or Garcia or Casspi.

20. afk

afk Member

Mixed reaction with Melo to Houston. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, there is always Kevin Love next year.