1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[live local tv] all hail Aereo ... **** just got real!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Sep 17, 2013.

1. what

what Member

Basically, you don't need a tv, and stream local channels. This is pretty much the last hold cable had to offer. Hulu, Aereo, hbotogo, and netflix. Everything you need.

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

What is hbotogo other than the companion online site for existing subscribers? At some point I think they'll be able to curtail password sharing by monitoring and blocking multiple IP usage. Also, is there a link?

3. what

what Member

You get a free month, after that it is 8 dollars a month. The quality is outstanding. It allows you to record programs also. This is a great service.

https://aereo.com/

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Not in Houston or Austin. Is there combined coverage radius wide enough to cover SA?

5. what

what Member

it is in houston. not sure what you are looking at. but i am currently watching it from brenham tx.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I'm not in Houston or Austin, sorry. In SA and skeptical it would work. But it would save a year of waiting for Netflix or $100s in Itunes/Amazon downloads for next days.

7. So Good

So Good Member

It's pretty cool. I doubt I'll keep this after a month trial bc I rarely watch network tv. I wish HBO had an online subscription only.

8. what

what Member

actually, this service is not an illegal site. In fact, aereo has won judgements in court against the likes of comcast and others. This is a completely legit service. However, you are right in that it probably won't reach to SA. I'm lucky that Im in between Houston and Austin so it works.

9. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

There's still not a good option for sports without cable. And HBOGO is only available to people that subscribe through their cable provider.

10. what

what Member

nba leaguepass broadband, mlb.com season subscription, if we had the redzone that would be the ultimate. I mean, even with cable you have to choose between comcast sports net and nfl sunday ticket.

So, I get it to a certain degree that you can't have everything: nbatv, TNT, ESPN, are still pretty much cable exclusive, but hopefully in the near future this whole cable stronghold will go ala carte like it should be and you can get everything you want plus internet for a lot less.

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

For the channels it offers, IMO, it's not really worth it (at least for someone like me who values sports more than those other channels besides the locals). If you just want locals and the ability to stream it anywhere, buy a Slingbox.

12. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

If you wan't network tv on your computer just get a card with a tuner and hook it up to an outdoor antenna

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

14. tested911

tested911 Member

I think your missing the true value... Watch your shows "anytime" you want. On any Android (Samsung Galaxy *), IOS (I-whatevers), Computer. No need to hook up to an outdoor antenna because it's streaming. DVR all your favorites shows and play on any of the above devices (90% of what everyone has).

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

SCOTUS just ruled Aereo is basically the same as a cable company and needs to have the same permission from content providers to transmit their content

essentially, Aereo's service is illegal

#15 Commodore, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Damn. I just signed up after trying 3 different antennas in my new apartment. Guess it's back to the drawing board on getting network TV because I am sick of paying for cable.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Major blow and I'm sad about this. The big companies won and this is essentially the end of cord cutting progress.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I can't see how anyone would think that a service charging you to give you the content of someone else without permission should be legal.

This is one time where I root for the big companies.

19. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Any idea as to what happens to existing customers?

I have Aereo on a kitchen TV with an older roku and it's been fantastic. Simply because the kitchen in my home gets absolutely terrible antenna reception. I even bought an expensive OTA antenna and it didn't work that well.

I have an ethernet port in my kitchen (via powerline network adapter) and was able to watch OTA channels in good quality. This sucks

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'm no expert and new to Aereo, but these are all over the air channels that are free to viewers assuming you have an antenna that can pick them up.

I view it as paying Aereo to use their antennas (which work better than mine) and their cloud storage to record programming, not paying Aereo for the content itself.