1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Live in Houston, got a speeding ticket in Florida.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BigSherv, Feb 28, 2013.

1. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Sigh, I got a speeding ticket on the way back from Florida.

So I hear there is a point system now in Texas. I called the County Clerk in Florida and he said i need to contact someone here in Texas to see how to handle. He said in Florida you can take defensive driving and get no points but it still says you got a ticket.

I just want to handle this and be done in the manner which least effects my insurance costs.

Anyone know anything about this?

2. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Just call the court and ask them your options. You can tell them you opt to take defensive driving. Insurance will not be affected.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Argh... it would suck if you had to go there, but hopefully you won't have to. Call the number on the ticket... I am sure if you're nice enough, they'll give you deferred adjudication, chance to do defensive driving if it meets their requirements, or something else that doesn't affect your insurance.
    Fixed. :eek: "affect" is a verb saying something makes a difference, while "effects" is plural of a noun "effect", which is a result of a cause.

EDIT: oops, this isn't the 'proofread my text' thread. Sorry. ;)

4. DreamRoxCoogFan

Someone I know throws away out of state speeding tickets lol. So far nothing has happened to him. Wouldn't recommend this route to the OP tho

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I had a few tickets on my License in Virginia, but when I moved to Texas I just called the DMV and told them I wanted to cancel my license in VA and it removed all the tickets I had. Just had to give the driving test again in TX.

6. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

yea the system is so swamped you could prolly just forget about it lol

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

States are getting more sophisticated about sharing this information. It really depends on if Florida reports but overlooks if its under deferred justification/defensive driving or if it simply doesn't report it unless you get another ticket.

8. BigSherv

the guy didn't give me that option on the phone. He said I MAY be able to pay the fine and take a course. But he is not sure how Texas handles out of state points and to call. I am like call who. Everywhere I call i get an automated service and tickets are not option.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Definitely pay the ticket. Most States share a database for things like DWI and failure to pay a ticket. Failure to pay a speeding ticket is an arrest warrant.

That said, I seriously doubt your Texas points will be affected by an out of state speeding ticket. I'd just pay the fine and not worry. Unless you have a reason to go back to Florida for defensive driving, or if the Florida court will honor a Texas def driving certificate.

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

wow... this is news to me...I got a ticket up in NJ which is seriously the worst place ever to get a ticket...

I was on one of their double fine zones(87 on a 65 MPH zone) driving from Allentown, PA to Morristown NJ...got pulled over by the state cops...got 4 points and went to court to pay $200.00 fine and got the violation reduced to 2 points...didnt know that the points system really mattered...interesting...

best of luck

11. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Florida has a long memory...about 7 years last time I experienced it.

Got a hitchhiking ticket one year outside of Daytona Beach. (never paid) Seven years later I get a letter from the state of Florida saying that I'm welcome back.

This was decades ago so take it for what it's worth.

12. BigSherv

Yeah found a person in the FL office who said they don't do DA for the ticket. So 133 bucks, and 4 hours of drivers school. 4 hours seems liek cake compared to texas and its 8 hours.

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's devilish