1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Little Leaguer drops f-bomb, gets coach smackdown, 5 sec delay

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Faos, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Faos

Faos Member

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6364862.html?display=Breaking+News

Little League Players Take Five
    By Staff -- Broadcasting & Cable, 8/22/2006 4:17:00 PM

ESPN will air the remaining games of the Little League World Series with a five-second delay, after a player for the Staten Island team uttered the F-word that was picked up and aired clearly on a night primetime game.

The manager of the team, Nick Doscher, appeared to have then struck the player with his open hand, according to the Associated Press. The wire service said both the player and manager were reprimanded by the league.

ESPN does not routinely use delay for sports broadcasts, except in special circumstances (when, for example, a coach has allowed ESPN to 'mike' a coach). Broadcast networks use some kind of delay, in the the wake of the Janet Jackson Super Bowl wardrobe "malfunction" in 2004 and various, stray vulgarities aired on live broadcasts that have resulted in FCC fines.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if the coach would have been punished if he hadn't done anything at all...?

3. A-Train

A-Train Member

Eh...that's about the time I learned the subtle art of cursing. I wouldn't doubt if his coach uses pirate talk during practice.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard f-bombs or s-bombs after an NBA player misses a free throw. It's just a word. He's going to learn it some day, why not when he's ten?

The coach's actions, however, are unacceptable. That coach would have to get one of those bats surgically removed from his rectum if he smacked my kid...

4. macalu

macalu Member

how about they don't show the LLWS at all?

5. rocketsinsider

anyone happen to have a youtube of the event :D

6. Ognilecaf

Ognilecaf Member

7. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

Is anyone surprised? Statten Island. Domestic Violence. Cursing.

I fully expect that Statten Island's next game will involve a Little Leaguer sleeping with the fishes while the coach gets marinara all over his uniform.

8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

Good thing we don't have better things to worry about

9. Smokey

Smokey Member

The Staten Island team is very undisciplined. I don't remember who they played their first game, but I remember the catcher being very upset with the ump because he wouldn't warn the batter for standing too close to the plate. After they lost, the catcher was yelling like a big baby and I thought he would get into it with the batter during their postgame high five line...fortunately he did not.

10. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

on to our next story, with a live update from Boulder, CO.

11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

so surprised the coach hasn't had bigger crap coming down on him..

12. rocketsinsider

Bet you he wouldnt have slaped the kid if the kid was that 6"8 dude on the Saudi team :D

13. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I haven't figuered out exactly how yet, but I'm POSITIVE that somehow Swoly-D is behind the commercial with the Latin American team singing "Take ME Out To The Ballgame." :mad:

Is it wrong that every time I see that commercial that I immediately think of a message board poster I've never met? :(

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

I saw this....well, kids learn from their environment...Well, the b*tch slap was unacceptable and if it were my kid, I'd be kicking some coach arse....

15. IROC it

IROC it Member

I agree. I think the broadcast should be limited to local team's city/region... if at all.

This is part of the problem with sports. Everyone trying to ride the next big star from childhood up.

16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Does anyone actually watch it? I've never watched a LLWS game, and baseball is by far my favorite sport.

17. zoork34

zoork34 Member

Its stupid to show these kids on TV. I havent seen it this year, but they have even had the "major league equivalent" pitch speed! Little league should be about having fun whether you win or lose, and by putting the games on TV, that innocence is ruined.

18. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

Including 35 year old women...

;)

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=117011

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Exactamente, b*tches. Exacta-friggin'-mente. Yeah, I LOVE that commercial. It worked, didn't it? ;) Awwww... how cute! I can go up 290 to SH6, if you want me to.

Good thing the ESP-friggin'-N doesn't know Spanish... the MEXICO team has already said "p*ta madre" 23 times. I've counted them... that was just against Venezuela.

¡Vamos, Matamoros!