1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

List of rumored big men on the trade block

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RobKsports, Dec 20, 2016.

1. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

Already answered that question of who'd I'd go for persoanlly, if you wouldn't mind directing your attention to the comments above.

2. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

We are already big man heavy and (reliable) guard light. Trading a guard (or even worse 2 guards) for a big man because Capela is out temporarily makes no sense. Ennis and Brown are terrible but someone has to play the position if injuries happen.

Our Cs and PFs just have to step up. Onuaku has not shown me anything yet. Now is his chance. If he doesn't, then trade or waive him and get an upgrade.

4 Centers currently on the roster. Trading a guard to add another is just silly.

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Are we even allowed to sign him now?

4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Not correct, you can trade firsts in successive years if trade one is last year (Lawson) and trade two is after July 1st.

pugsly8422 and Fullcourt like this.
  5. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I don't think we have the trade assets to acquire a half decent center. Any reasonable trade would cost key rotation players. Pit yourself in the shoes of a Nuggets/Kings/76ers fan. I doubt anyone is starting a "We need KJ McDaniels" on their sites. Solution to Clint's injury is gonna come from a signing not a trade.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

WCS? Gtfo.

Just call up Onuaku, release Brown again, and sign 3 Sammiches Joshua Smith.

7. hakeemthagreat

That's interesting. Slept on post

raining threes likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why? Nene and Harell can play all the minutes at C, hell we can even give Onuaku 10 mins a night if we want to.

My issue with getting a big man is he should be significantly better than Harrell and Nene, otherwise we just wasted assets in getting that dude because he will just sit on the bench in 1 month when Capela heals up. Oth, having another good center would create a logjam because then we have 4 good players at the C spot, Nene cant be traded because he signed for vet min out of good will and while Harrell is playing awesome, alot of that has to do with Harden and MDA offense, if he was traded his production will instsntly plummet which is why he has low trade value.

Clutch likes this.
  9. Fantasma Negro

I would really like Jusuf Nurkic on this team, a 7 ft Euro that plays defense and has a cheap contract, let him practice his three a bit and boom Dmo replacement. Plumlee is also a solid option if he's actually available and I don't think he is, they just Ezeli for the year. Noel has serious injury issues, he's been back for two games and already injured his ankle and he's a free agent at the season, if the sixers haven't traded him by now their asking price is too high. WCS, I didn't see it in college, and I don't see it now, he hasn't been able to earn more playing time with his own team why should he be gifted minutes in such a great situation just because of injury, pass. Chandler = Nene. Best option is to bring up Joshua Smith imo

#29 Fantasma Negro, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

What's the scouting report on nurkic? I admittedly haven't seen a lot of his play. His numbers don't jump out although he has really good rebounding %s. He appears to be a decent defender by the #s but his offense appears to leave room for desire.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We should add Harrell and Hilario instead.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think Morey would eventually trade for a under the radar player (like a Brooks for Jordan Hamilton type of move). My name is Holmes (even though he's not necessarily a center he's already playing the spot and well, we're playing Harrell and Nene...) but i don't know wtf is going on in Philly and if/who they're willin to trade. Noel and Chandler would be great fits obviously but for various reasons i'm not sure we'll trade for them, Nurkic is out of our resources i'd say.

13. JD88

JD88 Member

Give me WCS!!

He's a more athletic Capela with unlimited potential in THIS system.

oogie boogie likes this.
  14. ilias

ilias Member

Reposting my comment from another thread. I thought it would be worth summarizing the options we have now.

Option A - trade with a team that could make a center available for trade (contract duration does not include this season):
    1. Tyler Zeller (Boston): $8m/y, 1y left, TO in summer, plays 13mins/game
    2. Spencer Hawes (Charlotte): 6m/y, 1y left, PO in summer, plays 17mins/game
    3. Bojan Marjanovic (Detroit): 7m/y, 2y left, plays 5mins/game
    4. Kevin Seraphin (Indiana): $1.8m/y, 1y left, plays 10mins/game
    5. Tarik Black (Lakers): $6.5m/y, 1y left, plays 14mins/game
    6. Greg Monroe (Bucks): $17m/y, 1y left, PO in summer, plays 19mins/game
    7. Miles Plumlee (Bucks): $13m/y, 3y left, plays 11mins/game
    8. Jordan Hill (Wolves): $4m/y, 1y left, TO in summer, does not play
    9. Nicola Vucevic: $12m/y, 2y left, plays 28 mins/game
    10. Nerlens Noel (76ers): $5m/y, 1y left, does not play
    11. Tyson Chandler (Suns): $13m/y, 2y left, plays 28mins/game
    12. Kosta Koufos (Kings): $8m/y, 2y left, PO summer 2018, plays 20mins/game

Option B – approach free agents / playing overseas: DMo, Josh Smith, Jason Thompson, Dorsey

Option C – solve the problem organically: give more minutes to Nene and Harrell, bring Onuaku up from D-League, play smaller line-ups, take the short-term hit (2-3 extra losses?) and address the situation in the summer

Morey will be looking for someone that:
    a) Can provide decent production including rebounding and/or rim protection (improvement on Nene and Harrell): rules out Hawes, Marjanovic, Seraphin
    b) Does not hinder our flexibility this summer (either few years left or value contract that can be traded): rules out Plumlee, Chandler
    c) Fits our style of play (no post-ups, runs P&R): rules out Monroe, Vucevic

Summary: Koufos and Noel are the only options that would make us better without hindering flexibility. Koufos will require less assets sent to the Kings, but Noel would be the dream acquisition as he is a real upgrade on Capela, has low contract and plenty of room to improve. Black, Hill and Zeller are reasonable low risk options, but their upside is limited, hardly worth the trouble unless they think Capela is out for long. Josh Smith would be a gamble, but Morey is known for taking some.

TLDR version: Unless Morey can get one of Koufos or Noel, expect him to address this internally or grab an FA like Josh Smith.

Richie_Rich, kwakmeister and bumbum09 like this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Personally i'd always take him if possible cause he's big, can rebound, can make defensive plays even though he's still young and a bit raw (let's say), but he also has a pretty good offensive talent so yeah, if possible i'd still take him, but from what i read from some Denver fans his iq might no be that good, same with his body shape and they kinda prefer Jokic which is a less physical player but with high iq, can pass, make plays for the team...personally i like them both, they're different, and even though Jokic is a better team player (intangibles), i think Nurkic has probably higher potential.

BigMaloe likes this.
  16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Sort of. When you make the TRADE is not the determining factor, though. It is when the pick is to be conveyed. Teams cannot at any time be trading two consecutive FUTURE first round picks. Once a traded pick is made (i.e., the end of the first round of that NBA Draft), the team can then trade its next year's pick.

Since the Rockets have already conveyed their 2016 pick, it is no longer a *future* pick, so they are now free to trade their 2017 first rounder.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sorry, wrong use of 'you'. DM the GM. Who would Rox give up that someone would take for someone we need and like? To me that is simply KJ + draft.

steveng125 likes this.
  18. mario elie

mario elie Member

Second all this. I don't think we have anything to offer. I bet we stand pat and play more small ball.

19. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Nene and Harrell will hold down the C spot. Give the young guy Onuaku a few minutes to see what he can do. It's not like we playing the Cs of the 80s and 90s. Not very many dominant Cs so I think we should be good. Let those Cs hit 2s while Gordon, Harden, Anderson hit 3s, we still win in the end.

Now, if we start losing a lot of games due to the C spot in the next two weeks, then I think we address it outside of the team so we don't fall too far in the standings. Personally, I think Nene and Harrell can hold it down good enough.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  20. WilliamGCash

WilliamGCash Member

Let's just make a new trade everyday. Then every 2 weeks we could be rooting for a whole new team!