1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

List of Businesses Owned/Operated by Tilman Fertitta

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoustonWest, Nov 17, 2020.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Tilman is gonna sell the team ... to Patrick , with money that he lent him :)

2. Matt Maloney

Matt Maloney Member

The Chick-fil-a near Pleasure Pier. Good luck boycotting them.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Reeko

you can't stop fat people from eating food dude

Reeko likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol, I drove by a Saltgrass this past Friday, and the parking lot was packed

tinman likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

At least 95% of those restaurants would work perfectly for an Office Space movie set.

[​IMG]

6. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't think the Fertittas are involved with UFC anymore, are they?

8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Not that I'm aware of but that's Fertittas shiny new 5 Dimond luxury hotel.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I was just wondering if he was doing a favor for the family. lolol.

HardenVolumeOne likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Tell me why I just looked up Saltgrass and the 3 locations that came up were all rated at least 4 stars with thousands of reviews? Looks like Houston loves them some Landry’s.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It looks like he is running the rockets the way runs his restaurants. Very mediocre product at high prices. He also loves his gimmicks.

12. Jalen Green OnlyFan

McCormick & Schmicks is good too.

Not as good as rival Eddie Vs but good nonetheless

13. DonatelloLimestone

Hes pretty overt about it. If you read trump or ivankas books they are pretty open about overshelling and what he calls 'truth hyperbole' because basically in his mind most people are small minded and just get wide eyes for exageerratons and grand plans even if he can't deliver. She specifically says if someone assumes something good about you and ts not true, let it be thought.

And tilman, well heres some of his gems
    on his food

But Fertitta takes pride in the neologism, seeing it as a testament to his obsession with quality control. “All my haters love to say, ‘Oh, his food sucks’ or whatever. But we’re consistent. The hot food’s hot, the cold food’s cold, the music’s right, the property’s clean. You don’t have burned-out lights, you don’t have cigarettes by the front door, you don’t have trash in the parking lots. You know what you’re going to get.”

-Not exactly a guy whose all about quality, doesn't even try and thats in his defense not hte recipe for a successful mid level franchise to expand upon.

You wanna know how dumb is PR intuition is? Outside of getting caught lying about hte caoch or the luxury taxx that we've seen...here is what he and his company thought was a good deal:

As we walked down one corridor, he stopped to stare at a section of the wall paneling.

“Jeff, I think this is wrong. It’s not like it is downstairs.”

He pulled a rubber-banded roll of cash and credit cards out of his pocket, slid out a black American Express card, and placed it against the panel.

“It looks about a sixteenth of an inch off,” he told Cantwell, who nodded in agreement.

Was this being staged for my benefit? Can the human eye actually detect such a minuscule discrepancy? Whether or not it was a put-on, the message was clear: Fertitta cares about the little things.

"
    TM: I heard a lot of the managers who are still working are on half pay. Is that right?

TF: Absolutely. And thrilled to do it. If not, you have to lay them off or furlough them."

"
    TM: A lot of people are looking at you and saying, this guy is worth $4 billion, whatever it is now. He’s got mansions and yachts and jets. Why can’t he afford to keep everyone on the payroll?

TF: You know the answer to that. It’s kind of insulting, okay? Do you think I wouldn’t go sell that stuff right now if I could?

TM: I don’t know. That’s why I’m asking.

TF: First off, I have $2 billion in equity in the Rockets that I can’t touch, because you can only borrow so much on a basketball team. Do you think there’s a buyer for jets or yachts right now? Absolutely not. Do you think there’s a buyer for a mansion right now? There’s nobody that’s not being affected."
    -Keep in mind, Yacht sales, Private jet sales(totally able to write off under new tax code) all soared during the pandeimc. As usual, hes just lying. he also brags in another interview people offering hiim a billion for a share of the rockets and he s aid he didnt take it because he didnt 'need to' while.

M: I hadn’t thought about that. You’re right.

TF: If you go find me a buyer for my yachts and my mansions and my jets, I’ll sell them tomorrow. Two billion dollars of my net worth is in the Rockets, 1.5 to 2 billion is in Landry’s and the Golden Nugget.

TM: What would you like to see in it?

TF: I don’t know. I really haven’t counted on the government. I’m not one of the largest companies in America and I’m not one of the smallest. When it’s all over with, you can write an article [saying] that I survived and I didn’t get any help from the government.

And I'd really recommend watching the video, he talks about rockets, he talks about China, and he also, as usual, eats his words above.
    [​IMG]

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I can't help but cringe knowing my shot would hit the roof every time in that room.

marks0223 likes this.
  15. DonatelloLimestone

i agree. Just becacuse I think he burned down a rockets franchise has been a terrible owner lying to his fan base while doing the opposite doesnt mean I've created some evil caricature that can do nothing posistive. hes been a terrible owner, and fast route down to the bottom. We literally went from 1 seed to the last seed under his dumbass tilmanisms....guess stepping on throats is almost not a basketball move.

that said, i give the guy credit for finding his niche. Hees pretty much a restaurant financier and hes found a formula that delivers a consistent product and good enough entertainment venue or draw. hes done well for himsel and go get that bag, just don't ruin the rockets and lie to the city. but yea, in-n-out or a few others are mass market, not known for quality but still decent and would do well in texas

tilman has been open that he doesnt care about the quality and hes prideful of the cocnsistent experience and thats why most people eat out, ambiance adn experience along with good enough foods which hes nailed the recipe down. Good for him, but i do hope he gets cash flow enough to not cheap out the rockets...he lives off of debt and knows how to at a high level, but if hes playing it so close that he had to beg the govertnment to give him loans that were meant for small business and trumps told him that himself...then these are the same dudes telling amemricans to save or rainy day and pick up your boot straps... this is all unprecedented but we got to get into his finances since he had to make it a public offering and we saw hes the most over leveraged owner in the nba even though his net worth is in the top 10...

All in all, its been a terrilbe experience for houston. Don't ask harden, ask Tad brown, Morey Mda, BZdelik...almost any veteran left our franchise under tilmans first few years and left millions and a comfortable place. i hope he learns nba economics and heeds his own advice and shut up and listens

UTSA2step likes this.
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Good lord that interview is infuriating and tells you everything that is wrong with the non liquid billionaire class.

17. DonatelloLimestone

Yep you hit the point. and the underlined part is the non liquid. Its really odd how much debt and forgiveness they get away with. EVeryone suffered in the crash, some got away with large multi million loans saying it was an unfair act of god...Tilman wrote a book on success, he talks about in the 80s he was in the red and owed the bank millions...the bank folded so he essentialyl got a grant and a lot of time...Success takes luck, and they've seized with their agrression and hustle, but at the same time theres a line between that and socializing cost and privatizing proits. Its still odd people on here have an agenda first and foremost if its a good deal for the owner, they forget Toyota center had public funding...private profits

The lack of self awareness is real...that may be more apparent when he plastered his face more prominently multiple times then the star or anyone else on the team what was coming.

orthat he spent a decade suing and going to court just to delay adding an outdoor space to....the ****ing white tigers he decided to bring to downtown houston.

You know, basically if he just heeded his own books adivce, shut up and listen, he could be seen as a hometown hero...smh. Rockets are paying our karma debt for letting hakeem go to toronto with Tilman getting ownership it ffeels like sometimes

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Chart House very mediocre

19. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Because it’s not THAT bad. If you’re okay with Chilis, you can’t complain about Landry’s. And I love me some fking Chilis.

BigShasta likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

I laugh at folks who actually think salt grass is any good