1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Linsanity the Movie

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bball7, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Movie is an American invention. Asians didn't have much choice before so they have to watch Hollywood movies.

Now India is producing ten times more movies a year than US.

2. coach41

coach41 Member

You are combining two distinct things that happened to Jeremy Lin during his high school career:

1. In his junior year, Jeremy hurt himself playing a pick up game before Palo Alto played in the Northern California Division II playoff. Palo Alto would go on to lose in the NorCal Finals.

2. Because this happened, Jeremy Lin promised that his team would win the title in his senior year. As we all know now, Palo Alto upset Mater Dei in the finals.

http://www.sfgate.com/preps/article/BOYS-PLAYER-OF-THE-YEAR-Jeremy-Lin-A-knack-for-2538272.php

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=7474995

To be fair, if your team is a state championship contender, it had better have a few good players.

3. tksense

tksense Member

There are lots of OT things I'd want to say but rather not here. However, america with a straight face is taking too much credit for what's essentially immoral business (or political) practices.

Just found this link which you can research further if interested.

http://listverse.com/2009/04/10/top-10-wrongly-attributed-inventions/

4. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

Goal = $117,000

As of today, collected $126,657 with 13 days to go! :cool: :cool:

5. Caris

Caris Member

6. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

what kind?

ive seen a lot of your posts and you sound like a self hating asian who sees racism everywhere like a black supremacist.

7. tor.rocks

tor.rocks Member

I don't think this movie is going anywhere. The guy is probably gonna want to make big bucks. But he isn't in China. Unless you are Jet Li Or Jackie Chang, most asian films will absoutely flop at the box office.

I already predicted this will be a straight to DVD or Netflix type of thing. Should get the movie out while it's still fresh on people's mind. The longer they wait to release, the less success IMO.

8. figment

figment Member

Between this and your posting that "Jews Own Hollywood" video from the other thread, one has to wonder if you have the permission of your local Grand Wizard to be posting on the dangerous liberal minority-infested internetz.

9. JMG524

JMG524 Member

How is it this film does not yet have a release date in, of all places NYC, where Linsanity originated? Smh

10. zdrav

zdrav Member

Honestly, I think it's "too soon", haha.

11. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Most documentaries are rarely shown in theaters. The only widely released ones I can think of are from Michael Moore and maybe that Morgan Spurlock.

DVD and Netflix are definitely the way to go with documentaries. Also I'm guessing they'll have iTunes distribution as well.

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Incredible link man. Very educational and entertaining to read. Thank You

13. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

I think so far it's only being screened at Film Festivals, such as Sundance in Utah, CAAMFest in SF, SXSW in Austin. They would need an actual distribution deal to get released in non-Film Festival theaters.

I don't know if they had a version ready to submit to NYC's Tribeca Film Festival ahead of the submission cutoff dates, or if they did submit but didn't get selected, or if they just focused on premiering it at Sundance and didn't submit it to Tribeca.

Big name Festivals like Sundance and Tribeca typically have a long list of applicants and requires early submission deadlines. It's probably easier to just get an individual arrangement done or added to the schedule of smaller niche or regional festival like CAAMFest or SXSW, than it is to get a spot in Sundance or Tribeca. And it probably requires less foresight or pre-planning to meet early application deadlines. They could probably ride their Sundance success and buzz into a CAAMFest or SXSW screening, but it would be too late to meet Tribeca submission deadlines.

I doubt CAAMFest, which seems to cater to a niche Asian American Bay Area audience, or South By Southwest (SXSW) -- nobody considers Texas a hotbed for independent films --- are going to draw the type of media scrutiny or glitz and glamor and opening night Hollywood Celebrities and multi-millionaire philanthropists on the red carpet that Sundance or Tribeca draws.

Although it would be funny to see it air in Tribeca. I recall seeing a newsphoto of Knicks owner Jim Dolan on the red carpet to a Tribeca Film Festival screening. Would have seriously been ironic if he attended a Linsanity screening.

To see it in NYC, you'll probably need to wait for a distribution deal. No idea if that means airing in limited release in small art-house theaters first, or if it goes straight to DVD, or broadcast or what not.

14. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

I think a distinction needs to be made between wide release and limited release. I agree that this film probably won't see wide release. But most independent films, not just documentaries, do not get wide release. What they can get is limited release, especially in a network of small arthouse theaters and not the large mainstream theaters. There's a network of small art-house theaters that cater to a specialty audience. Think of the theaters like the ones that mostly air foreign language subtitled films from Europe or something, or that air old black and white classics.

There have been many independent documentaries that have reached the national consciousness with or without wide release. Fahrenheit 911, Super-Size Me, March of the Penguins, even Bowling for Columbine, etc.

And as noted by industry wonks and film critics, there's enough buzz for the film at Sundance to justify more than just DVD/Netflix.

From one of the early reviews at http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-prin...ity-spreads-to-park-city-with-some-candidness :
    If they're still talking to several entities, then they're surely negotiating for the largest deal possible to ensure the most people see it as possible. That means moving down the revenue release foodchain. Trying for a wide release first. If that fails, try for a limited release. If that fails, try for an on-demand deal on premium cable channels, maybe. And work down the foodchain from there.

I'm sure someone will want to at least pick up the rights in order to do a theater release in Taiwan or something. That gives them some leverage to negotiate for a wider deal and hold out for more than netflix/DVD's, maybe.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

It's a documentary. Most documentaries don't do well in box office. Did anyone actually see the Lebron James movie? And he's a black American....

16. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

That Lebron James documentary was legit

17. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

yeaaa because saying hollywood is racist and run by jews is such a far reaching stretch.

18. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

You need to drop this racism thing in this forum.

You want to discuss your whacko race-related theories? Go to the right forum for it, its called Debate and Discussion, a subforum of the Hangout.

I see a bunch more race related posts from yall in here, negs and banning sure to follow.

19. Caris

Caris Member

20. VanityHalfBlack

Unless it has cars/hot bod/ martial arts and Vin Diesel and it'll be the most successful movie of a franchise, Fast Five?