1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Linsanity the Movie

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bball7, Jan 16, 2013.

1. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Hmm it just seems like everytime when I search twitter, there's a lot of female fans that idolize Lin o_O

2. wukong

wukong Member

backers
    $106,684
    pledged of $117,000 goal
    days to go

Very close :grin: :grin: man I wish I had $10,000 to push them over the top :)

3. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Why would his own coach who put him on his team and gave him playing time then backstab Lin to prevent from getting a scholarship? It would have been in his coaches best interest to have Lin get a BB scholarship anywhere. It's crazy to think that he would sabotage a player who could help his own coaching career. Please use some common sense.

I have no doubt Lin may have felt that, but his perception doesn't make it a fact. I think I'm a fair minded objective person, but that doesn't make it a fact.

If you're honest about what Jeremy was like physically as a senior in HS you have to admit he was just a skinny kid, not a great leaper who got the most out of his talent. He obviously had heart, character, drive and showed leadership skills, but he wasn't dominating the opposition and putting up insane numbers.

Even today 6+ years after HS you can see Lin still needs to work on his game. He shows flashes of greatness mixed with a lot more of wtf we're you thinking Jeremy type of play. He still doesn't have the ball handling skills of an elite player. He still doesn't have a consistent outside shot. I'm pretty sure he had those flaws when he was a senior in HS. Now do you see why his coach said those things about Jeremy?

4. tor.rocks

tor.rocks Member

That would be nit picking my posts. If you want to do that, go through all the my posts please.

Actually, I don't even care. Being a LOH or LOF, doesn't even mean anything. I just want to see some good basketball. Already got targeted by racism by some 3000 post dude yesterday.

5. zdrav

zdrav Member

Have you seen what Tyson Chandler looked like coming straight out of high school? He was a twig, and this was a guy who was drafted to play in the NBA against centers like Shaq, Robinson, Duncan, Mutombo, Yao, Mourning, Ilgauskas, etc.

But Jeremy Lin can't play college ball where players are smaller and slower?

Fact is that Lin was a star player in a state that's a basketball hotbed. He was part of a elite group of finalists, half of whom were drafted by the NBA.

And he was the ONLY one who didn't even get a college scholarship to a semi-decent basketball school.

But by all means, keep insisting that he was too small, slow, and weak.

6. novaman

novaman Member

I pledged yesterday. I'm sure they will make it

7. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Do me a favor if you can. See if you can find the height, weight and other scouting info of those players that year. If you can also find their stats like ppg, astpg and rebpg that would be great.

You're not being objective. The SF Chron and Mercury News are local SF Bay Area papers. I highly doubt a SoCal paper named Lin the HS player of the year, but I guess it's possible. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't his team win or go to the state championship when he was injured late in the season? Obviously Lin wasn't the only reason his team was good, but he was their leader.

His own coach had doubts about Lin's game. Why cant you just accept that? Obviously now 6 years later we can look back and laugh because so many people got it wrong, but it doesn't mean their judgment of Lin's college prospects were solely based on race.

8. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

He was injured in his junior year, and the team fell short. He lead them to win it all in his senior year. His coach mentioned that the winning team during the senior year was a much weaker team than the Jeremy's junior year team because much of the good talent had graduated and left the school.

9. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

If you've read any of my posts you would know I'm not a Lin hater at all. Very far from it. I like his story and I hope he continues to improve and have a long NBA career.

10. zdrav

zdrav Member

Complete strawman argument.

Nobody here is arguing that race is "solely" the reason why Lin wasn't offered a scholarship.

Do you deny that race played a role?

11. zdrav

zdrav Member

This is a terrible argument because not only are you assuming that you're right by shifting the entire burden of proof on me, but my whole point is that Lin's scouting reports were wrong because of stereotypes and prejudices based on his race.

Remember that in the NBA pre-draft workouts, Lin was as fast, if not faster, than players like Derrick Rose and John Wall and Kyrie Irving. Source: http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/03/life-in-the-fast-lane/

And STILL, everybody wrote him off.

12. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

But how tall was Chandler? I assume he was tall enough to dunk without much effort. What kind of stats did he put up? Did he have a jumper? How were his hands? Can he block shots. What is his wingspan? ...etc.

My point is a scout or recruiter has a long list of things he looks at in a player not just "did he win player of year". I already said it. Lin's being Asian wasn't the only reason he didn't get a scholarship offer.

If Lin was 6'6" with the same first step and heart, great vertical leaping ability. Had more confidence in himself and his jumper. Could dribble equally well and finish at the basket with both hands and still didn't get a scholarship then you could say it was ONLY about race.

I'm done. Sorry for sidetracking this thread. Lets move on and hope a distribution deal for the movie is announced soon.

13. TheRookets

TheRookets Rookie

Parsons = one night stand
    Lin = Marriage

14. Caris

Caris Member

Hi, zdrav and CantGoLeft,
    From your quotes below, I think you believe the same thing. :grin:
    Race played a part in Jeremy's story - to what extent? - no one knows.

15. Caris

Caris Member

Parsons has a girlfriend. She's be upset at you...

16. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Sorry I said no more, but I hadn't seen this post yet.

Come on you're joking right? You were pretty much saying Lin was as good as the other Calif player of year guys yet he didn't get a scholarship to a BB college. Must have been because he was Asian.

Of course I don't deny race probably being involved in some way or another for some recruiters. If I was a recruiter I would've wanted a player who thought about BB 24/7 instead of having to keep up good grades.

This whole thing started because someone... was it you(?) said something like there wouldn't be an underdog story without Lin being Asian.

On the other post about HS stats of the other Mr California players. Yes it on you to prove it was about race and not talent, skills and potential which I have been saying was the main reason he didn't get scholarship offers.

17. Caris

Caris Member

"she'll"
    The mistakes are driving me nuts! I think the edit function should be available to everyone.

18. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

LOL I know it seems that way, but we got sidetracked and wasted a lot of time and energy and messed up the positive vibes of Linsanity the Movie.

19. Caris

Caris Member

Well, I learned a lot from the discussions. A good debate can be enjoyable. :)

I think if we all listen to one another long enough, we will realize we all make sense. We're just coming from different angles.

20. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

http://www.asianweek.com/2013/01/31/linsanity-comes-to-caamfest-opening-night/