1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin's shooting coach Doc Scheppler Interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kastuul, Oct 1, 2013.

1. kastuul

kastuul Member

Doc Scheppler Interview

With camp just starting, we're excited for this coming season and hoping you can give us a little insight into JLin's summer work. Also, for those if you who may not know, Doc Scheppler has won 5 State HS Championships in the State of California. No small feat, and one off the all time California record. He has also sent a plethora of kids to play college ball. Incredible for a tiny Division 5 school on the Peninsula.

How does Jeremy look physically compared to the previous summers working with him?

Doc:
    He is 100% healthy and had a consistent summer of skill and strength development. We only worked 2x a week.

What's been your major focus this summer with Jeremy?

Doc:
    We worked to smooth out his rhythm and to really concentrate on catch and shoot situations... specifically the corner 3. We continued to work on different shooting situations to keep them tuned, and, they look perfect. He's able to shoot just as well in those situations. I'd like to see him bring those out of his bag a bit more...(Triple Threat, off-dribble,specifically). He has those shots in game situations.

Many people think you can change a shooter over night. Can you remind everyone what Jeremy's shot looked like just a few years ago?

Doc:
    He had a very rhythmical shot as junior high player, and, was a great shooter. He changed his shot to a higher release and an explosive jump upon entering high school. This is a common fault with younger players when they want to shoot a "Jump shot". So many problems arise from this transition. Their mindset is a jump shot is" jump as high as I can and start my release at the peak." His became an upper body throw that was inconsistent and an angry ball when hitting the rim. He gradually smoothed out his rhythm, but, never found the consistency necessary to be a great shooter. We refined his release, rhythm, and balance. Now, after 2 years he continues to feel more comfortable in his shooting form. My wish for him is to trust his form and let it fly. Be aware of form, but don't obsess.

How long does it usually take to really be able to change your form to the extent that he has had to?

Doc:
    That I don't know. I do know that the better your form and the more you practice...the better shooter will develop. Shooters have those 2 things in common... Their form is solid.... and they shoot every day.

What type of percentages are you expecting from Jeremy this season?

Doc:
    I hope he gets off to a great start with his 3 point shooting. He should get a lot of good, clean catch and shoot looks with the addition of Howard as a presence inside. There's no reason why he can't start to shrink the difference in his drill percentages to a game shooting percentage. He's a consistent mid 70's in drills, which should correspond to a higher game percentage. I'm thinking low 40's(3pt%). His free throw percentage should be in the mid 80's.

Anything else you'd like to share with us about working with JLin this summer?

Doc:
    I know he's ready to roll and excited for the season

Thanks for all of your work with these kids on the Peninsula and for all you do with Jeremy.

Doc:
    Thank you. I expect big things from him this year.

Link

1 person likes this.
  2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

If Lin plays 82 games and shoots in the low 40% from 3 then we are going to be the 1 seed.

I like Lin and this is a great shot for him. Very little pressure and what should be many open shots and assist opportunities.

3. Ultimate6thMan

Looks like he's shooting about 60 to 70% 3's in practice, so yeah, should translate to 40% this season.

4. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

It's almost like lin treated being designated a spot-up shooter as a curse last season, given his natural tendency to be ball dominant and an aggressive attacker in the paint.

It just shows you the faith the coaches had in lin to become a dangerous scoring threat from 3's by giving him that opportunity to develop that aspect of his game.

We all knew lin could create at the rim; if he can show that he can knock down the 3 ball consistently, watch out.

1. attack at the basket to score
    2. drive and dish
    3. knock down the perimeter shot consistently
    4. make excellent decisions on a consistent basis

Lin can attack the basket for a score or a dish; let's see if he can now knock down jumpers and make better decisions. If he can do all of the above, he will be an all star.

1 person likes this.
  5. gengar

gengar Member

I think he's wasting his time shooting 3's. He's much better off practicing his handles and jumping higher. We need to stop playing him as a spot-up shooter. That's like asking Rondo to not handle the ball and shoot 3's all day..Not gonna work. Some players just play a certain style and i believe you should maximize it / play to its strengths rather than change a player

1 person likes this.
  6. Play07

Play07 Member

true but nothing wrong with him making sure that **** is wet when we need him to knock down a shot, that's what can give him a edge over rondo as in not having any weakness, Nash is floor general but he wasn't scared to knock down that pull up or 3 back in the days

7. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

He's not always gonna have a coach or a team that utilizes his skillset well. It is up to Lin to fill those holes and hopefully he will win the coaches over.

8. BBAAB

BBAAB Rookie

That'll translate to mid-50% for foot-on-the-line 3s

Honestly, 38% from 3s would be great

9. gengar

gengar Member

If only he was drafted high like John Wall (who I believe is worse than Lin) and the teams looked past his race, then he would have had the opportunity for teams to adjust for his strengths

Some Lin fans think he's the greatest and some haters think he's the worst, but he's more in the middle of the two. It's hard to argue that he's not at least an average skilled starting PG, and if that's the case, it's hard to believe he went undrafted. Guess no one wants to draft an Asian guy unless he is 7 feet tall

10. tonyteetime

tonyteetime Member

I agree with you , but it does not hurt for Lin to add more weapon to his arsenal. If he's efficient in knocking down his long range jump shot , then that means his opponent will need to guard him closer, so he will have more opportunity /options to blow by his opponent for easy basket.

11. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

wonder how Wall would have fared in Lin's role last year

12. gengar

gengar Member

Seeing as how Wall averaged only 4 more points and 1 more assist when he had key to orchestrate the Wizard's offense, and seeing as how Lin was shoved to being a spot-up shooter, you can imagine Wall on this team averaging 11~12 points, 4~5 assists

13. Play07

Play07 Member

Wall got the max but people say Lin is bad and highly over paid at half of that contract, check this out - I'm sleep tho

Lin vs wall season http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HsAsBZu8CdU

Lin vs wall summer league http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PvkXmMcGfLo

14. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Lin has no choice but to adjust. My wish is to see Lin finish games this season.

15. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Jason Kidd says hi.

1 person likes this.
  16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You are seriously underrating John Wall, a lot.

John Wall was injured last season, he played less than 30 minutes a game before the all-stars.

After the all-stars, when he was allowed to get healthy and shake off the rust (same thing Jeremy Lin had to do after his injury), Wall was averaging 21/8/5.

17. Rocketman03

Rocketman03 Member

"He had a very rhythmical shot as junior high player, and, was a great shooter. He changed his shot to a higher release and an explosive jump upon entering high school. This is a common fault with younger players when they want to shoot a "Jump shot". So many problems arise from this transition. Their mindset is a jump shot is" jump as high as I can and start my release at the peak." His became an upper body throw that was inconsistent and an angry ball when hitting the rim. He gradually smoothed out his rhythm, but, never found the consistency necessary to be a great shooter. We refined his release, rhythm, and balance. Now, after 2 years he continues to feel more comfortable in his shooting form. My wish for him is to trust his form and let it fly. Be aware of form, but don't obsess" -Doc

Lin's shot does look smoother:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sgc4Z2v2spY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Are there really people complaining about Lin practicing 3s? If Lin has a deadly 3pt shot, then he becomes a true triple-threat(shoot, pass, drive) which allows him to raise his game to the level of top PGs in the NBA. And this is BAD HOW!?

If he's knocking down 3s, defenders will no longer sag off of him, which in turn let him drive past them and get into the paint. I cannot see the downside from this, no matter what your rooting interest may be.

I am personally pumped that Lin may take his game to another level this year.

2 people like this.
  19. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

they don't get it.

the more shots you have in you arsenal the better you are as a player. a Power Forward that can shoot threes is more valuable than a Power Forward whose range is to the midrange area.

20. Jimes

Jimes Member

Yeah, his form looks smoother. Chandler still has that little hitch before he releases. Dmo is :(