1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin's scrutiny

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kaitanuva, Nov 2, 2012.

1. ERC

ERC Member

Seconded. I was thinking exactly that when I read that Raptor's DeRozan got a 4-year/$38M contract. I mean, we are talking about a career 12.4pt/3.2r/1.0a role player.

2. javguy

javguy Member

Hello all,

I registered on this site again because I was previously banned for going off on the LOHs. It was mostly my fault and I sincerely apologize to Clutch. He runs a good site and I hope to contribute positively.

I'm a Lin fan but now a HUGE Rockets fan. Ironically, one of my first fond memories of college basketball was watching Phi Slama Jama! But this Rockets team is definitely the most interesting and exciting team in the NBA right now and I'm really happy to be a part of their fanbase.

Anyhow, I've had a chance to sit back and reflect on the forum and I think that similar to Realgm, it will take some time for the new fans to get comfortable with the vets and vice versa. I am going to try my best to not get baited into troll posts and I suggest others try to do the same. LOFs should try to be fans of the entire team, not just one player and LOHs should try to be supportive of Lin, after all he is a Rocket. Dragic and Lowry are no longer Rockets, it's time to move on.

Let's try to find common ground, after all we are on the same team not against each other.

3. demarco1

demarco1 Member

i don't mind linning lintendo etc, but "RIN" "Reremy" omg, yaikkksss, if female said reremy or rin, i am ok, but for male , damnnnnnnn ...

4. agpal77

agpal77 Rookie

Can everybody give Lin a break! Keep in mind the number of games he pltayed last season. Hence, we should consider these early games as part of his first season in the NBA. Secondly, he is still not 100% in shape coming from surgery. So guys, stop being ignorant and look at the facts!

5. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

actually, it was like this on the GS boards, Houston boards (not as much), NYK boards, and again on the Houston boards. the guy was always under constant scrutiny. so, it wasn't because of Linsanity or his "crazy fans". people were always hating on him from the beginning.

6. Allegro

Allegro Member

Exactly.

7. VanityHalfBlack

What it boils down to is that, "It's easy picking on Asians."

8. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

To be fair, people have been crucifying Morris and Douglas too.

9. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Only thing I got against Lin is the turn overs, although both he and Harden in the first two games seem to try to be quarterbacks or have X-Ray vision because they try to pass right through defenders.

10. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Around the league, yeah a lot of the scrutiny Lin receives is due to the fact that he's asian. But let's not act like that isn't ALSO the reason why he has such a huge fan base. That knife cuts both ways.

I don't think he's scrutinized here any more than he should be. He's the second most important player on the team. There are posters here who obsess over guys like Terrence Williams. Everything a rotation player does here is going to be discussed, and frankly I think a lot of people from the huge contingent of bandwagon fans he brought here need to learn to not respond defensively to every single post about JLin.

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

it's because there's so damn many of them....

12. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

If you detect a heightened sense of scrutiny re: Jeremy Lin, it may have a lot to do with how the Rockets recently had two very well-liked, borderline all-star caliber point guards on their roster, then let one walk in free agency for nothing and flipped the other for a draft pick the Rockets now no longer have.

And in place of all that, Houston now has....you know...this guy. It's perhaps unfair to him, but Jeremy Lin will really have to do exceptionally well in Houston to restore emotional parity among Rockets fans at that point guard position.

13. munco

munco Member

I no player is above criticism by fans and especially anonymous people on forums but sometimes it is completely unwarranted or unfair.

Lin is coming off knee surgery and did not have a very good preseason. Give him some time.

The last two games we've won and he's looked much better. I mean he almost had a triple double last game and was shooting 50% up until the last few shots which seemed to miss due to fatigue.

I love his hustle and while I don't think he's 100% yet, when he gets there things will even get better for us. Even if he doesn't reach his play at Linsanity the guy can still play and has been a big part of our wins the first two games. I'm just waiting for his jumper to come back!

14. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

the lin scrutiny is quite simple:

He's asian.

People want to pussyfoot be all pc and dance around the subject but its the superficial and subconscious truth.

If lin was black his contract would not have been called out by other players in the nba. never seen that before. What i dont understand is Lin was putting up numbers in historic fashion for the knicks and did it without melo or amare and showed enough promise backed up by statistics and a unbiased analytical breakdown of his game to garner his contract.

a 3 year 25 million dollar deal. not a franchise 100 mill max deal yet he gets judged as if he's getting lebron money.

Was harden playing with lin when he was putting up those numbers? Neither were melo and amare.

When people say its his overzealous fanbase that cause the hate, that makes no sense and is just utterly misguided. Lin is the first asian american player in the history of the nba playing in a athletically inclined position not seen played by asians. The fact that the haters (majority african americans) cant seem to appreciate how much pride he gives to young asians who love basketball and just want to appreciate him much like young african americans love and appreciate black quarterbacks who get necessary flak playing a position usually reserved for whites is sad and ironic.

New fans whether LOF or whatever is good for the sport. it brings new life to the nba. it brings fans. READ THE DEFINITION OF A FAN.

Why hate on his fanbase and in turn hate on the player because of them? Isnt that a little misguided?

Whenever i see comments like westbrook, cp3, parker, and all the other beasts pgs are gonna destroy him it just dumbfounds me. Dont those guys destroy everybody? Do you haters no what their averages are? Do you have the internet? They destroy every night. Why single out lin?

Do you people remember tiger woods and what he first went through?

Do you people remember yao ming and the apprehension and the quick knee jerk hate reaction? Yet they give the benefit of the doubt and endless optimism to players like greg oden.

You people did the same thing to manny pacquiao.

Just ask floyd mayweather jr.

Even tonight the chants of overrated (and during the bulls game last year) irritated the hell out of me.

Why is he overrated? Is he getting a 100 mill max contract and undeserved affirmative action mvps like steve nash and dirk nowitzki?

No, he''s making 25 mill in 3 years for a team before the harden trade was projected as a lottery team.

So why the chants of overrated?

Why the constant knee jerk hateful reaction to every missed shot? every missed layup? everytime a pg drives by him for a layup?

Why does every other pg shut down other pgs? Even the ridiculous "HE CANT GO LEFT!!!" critique is quite idiotic.

He can go left. He's just not as good at it.

Why?

BECAUSE HE'S RIGHT HANDED!!!!!!

The unnecessary subtle not so subtle racial hate.....

Yao Ming went through this.
    Manny Pacquiao went through this.
    Black quarterbacks go through this.
    Tiger woods went through this.
    Jeremy Lin is going through this.

President Barack Obama is going through this.

As long as humans are alive, race will always be an issue.

Its in our dna. We are tribal by nature.

At least admit it and lets talk about it.

3 people like this.
  15. atwood

atwood Member

My impression is that the game is much slower for Lin compared to Lowry and Dragic. He may not be aggressive/skillful as those two PGs, but he seems be able to control the pace in a better way. It's just peaceful for him all through the four quarters.

16. javguy

javguy Member

Sure but the fans need to keep this in mind. Lin came into Houston AFTER Dragic and Lowry could not come to terms and were gone. It wasn't like they go rid of those 2 guys to bring Lin in.

After the first 2 games the Houston back court is the position that we should be least worried about. People are talking about this being the best back court in the NBA etc., that's what puzzling about the scrutiny. Not to mention the fact that we're 2-0 which is the most important statistic of all.

17. Rhod

Rhod Member

That draft pick Rockets got through Lowry deal is the big part of reason why Harden is in town.

18. zdrav

zdrav Member

Lots of insecure guys prop themselves up by thinking, "Hey, at least I'm not one of those geeky, small-dicked Asians."

But now, they're thinking, "Oh damn, those Asians can ball now? Am I on the bottom of the pyramid now? No!!!!"

19. torocan

torocan Member

This.

Not to mention folks can do woulda/shoulda/coulda with Lowry/Dragic, however the Toronto pick was part of the deal that got us Harden, and with Lin people are still the Rockets' back court as one of the best if not THE best back court in the game right now.

If someone feels that Lowry/Dragic is better than Lin, that's their rightful opinion... however, considering how good the back court is right NOW -- the win record, the stat lines, and the accolades from people around the league, I'm not sure what the point of it is?

Would Harden/Lowry be better? Maybe. Lowry is arguably a better player than Lin (which I happen to believe personally), however, I'm not so sure that Lowry's particular playstyle meshes as cleanly with Harden.

Similarly, Dragic is comparable to Lin in my view, but my gut tells me that Lin fits Harden's play and personality more than Dragic would. No stats to back that up, just impressions of character, ball handling preferences, passing, etc.

I dunno. I'm kind of have the view that if you got one of the top back courts in the NBA, it seems a bit over the top to complain about a player who Wanted to leave, and a player that the FO felt wanted too much.

Kind of like looking a gift horse in the mouth if you know what I mean.

20. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Irrelevant though. Houston could have gotten far more from Toronto for Lowry had the Rockets not broadcasted their urgency to provide fungible assets for Orlando in the Howard trade that wasn't.

Since I was explaining why fans feel the way they do, and you've switched gears to making excuses for the Rockets' front office instead, what was the excuse for letting Dragic go? Other than some patent falsehood about Houston never offering five year contracts to players after just inking a five year contract with Harden?