1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin won't be back next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketballin, Apr 28, 2014.

1. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I never in my adult life cried like I did last night. And I actually did cried i'm not playing around. Jeremy Lin has to go, I don't understand why, WHY, WHY with 18 seconds left in the 4th quarter having the LEAD why did he decided to dribble the ball when he only had to do is HOLD ON TO THE BALL and get fouled?

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is satire, right?

3. JohnQ

JohnQ Member

33 seconds. major difference

4. Jt29

Jt29 Member

Who are u replying this? I was replying a comment from redearth that if lin has at least a quarter of humility, he should renegotiate his contract. I replied him back, why should lin renegotiate his contract to probably a lower value? What is done is done. The contract is fixed, n lowering the value doesnt right what redearth views Lin's value. Morey offered him the contract, not under duress or unconscionable conduct. Morey valued Lin as many $$$ as written in the contract at that time. My opinion? Morey's fault.

N to answer your reply, up to that poor black guy to take the money, n he should not renegotiate the contract too. Morey's fault too if thats the case.

5. carib

carib Member

There is little you can blame Lin on his contract situation, one would expect any player to try an get a lucrative deal. Morey gambled heavily on Lin, paying him 8 mil for a start and then 15 mil in the end. The poison pill not only scared the Knicks away it also has an effect on trade partners who would consider taking Lin from the Rockets.

6. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

the rockets committed to basically pay him 8.33m a year, so in the first 2 years they got a savings of 6.66m. they can't add cash considerations to the deal? throw in the 6.66m if you can.

7. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Yes, my mistake.

8. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

If I had to guess, I would say that he will be back. His contract is just too hard to get rid of. I don't think we would be willing to give Lin+1st rounder+3m cash to help cover his contract for an expiring+future 2nd (seems like the most logical trade, if one whould go down).

At one point, we needed Lin for his publicity. Now that we're winning, we'll be selling out the Toyota Center with or without him. With that in mind, yes we may lose some fans (thank goodness), but I'm sure there are others just waiting to take those fans places.

If the crowd/fans make it obvious that he is no longer welcome here, then not only will it give the team pretty much no option but to get rid of him, but it will make it that much harder to get anything in return since other teams know how desperate we are.

At this point, I think the best we can hope for is for him to up his game next year (it is his contract year afterall), and either generate some trade value (not holding my breath), or actually positively contribute on a regular basis so that we are not forced to give up additional pieces just to get him off our books, and off our team. Who knows.....but it is definitely not a situation I would want to be stuck in the middle of.

9. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Shipp him over seas

10. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

If we package him up with Harden, we might be able to get a decent 2nd round pick.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yep. Morey will not trade Lin just to trade him AND GIVE UP any type of asset when he can just wait a year, and let him walk for nothing.

However if there is a trade out there were they are essentially using his salary to get a key acquisition, that's when Lin will be included in a trade, and potentially a pick is added to get that player.

Contract years are crazy things when it comes to players. I think the book is out there for Jeremy Lin though and I think despite his warts, he gets another contract regardless, but I wouldn't expect "Jeremy Lin's Upside" to finally be realized or anything. Any GM that takes him, knows what they are dealing with.

However I've worried about his confidence before keeping him from being a consistent NBA player, but now after this series I really think there is a possibility of having a Brad Lidge-like mental collapse that is only solved from a change of scenery.

If I'm Morey, I probably go into this Summer thinking that there is a good possibility that Lin becomes nothing more than an expiring contract, and you allow the coach next year to play the better PG backing up Beverley... whether that be Lin, Canaan, or a new acquisition.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Nobody wants Lin. He has negative value in the league - extremely negative value.

He is a low IQ player with poor ball handling skills, and just a below average PG with limited to zero upside.

Why would contenders want him? He would offer nothing. He is a reserve PG at best and come playoffs time at the face of adversity he is a scrub.

Why would lottery teams want him?

Essentially we are stuck with his putrid play and his albatross contract unless we offload someone like Jones and DMo just to get rid of this meh player.

13. Raven

Raven Member

His contract is toxic. That doesn't mean he can't be traded. No contract is untradeable if you are willing to sweeten the deal or take back a bad contract in return.

14. autoprt

autoprt Member

dude i hate to say i dreaded coming to this thread thinking only God knows what was posted here. But I had to say i needed to get a good laugh and to be honest not laughing at people or our situation but some of the funniest stuff ive seen people who weren't trying to be funny have posted here.

Crazy me i'll still hold fast until the end we're going to the finals. I still feel if we can somehow get out of this round it will be downhill. Portland has some tough players that are hungry and have made blindfolded trick shots that should be in the circus after the season is over.

15. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

This.

16. garfangle

garfangle Member

For a NBA fan you seem to know very little.

Lin's WS/48 career: .106, league average is .1.

17. jocar

jocar Member

He just lost any remaining value. I'd be surprised if he's back on any team aspiring for the playoffs. Who offered him a contract besides the Rockets? n o b o d y

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are people buying Volvo cars because if him?

Griffin force > lin Volvo

19. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Seems everyone is on the same page here...

True Rockets fans want Lin gone
    LOHs want Lin traded
    LOFs want Lin traded
    McHale wants Lin gone (although he'll probably be out too)
    Morey wants to get cap flexibility
    Lin makes $15 million regardless

It's a WIN, WIN, WIN, WIN, WIN, WIN situation.

20. Breitbard

Breitbard Contributing Member

If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it is that you can trade anyone.