1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin won't be back next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketballin, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

What exactly does he contribute to the Rockets?

What is his specialty?

Troy Daniels can bomb 3s.

Harden can drive.

Howard can rebound and post up.

Asik can rebound and play D.

Parsons is our glue guy.

Wtf is Lin good for? Sucking ass and allowing the other team to get back in with his stupid turnovers and relentless matador D?

2. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

They don't have to play him.

When the new coach comes in they won't.

3. passdarock

passdarock Member

Lin belongs in the d league

4. jayland

jayland Member

Pre-season trips to Taiwan?

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He probably will be back thanks to that awful contract of his. Asik at least has some value as a player, so the Rockets could maybe find a taker for him(although they may not want to).

6. rocketballin

rocketballin Member

Morey will find some sucker to take Lin off our hands... Wait what Dolan isn't in charge of basketball decisions in NY anymore? Dammit what about the Clippers they might be looking to overcompensate on taking in minorities to save face this offseason.

7. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No one wants that contract looks like Rockets are stuck with him : ( ughhhhh

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

The thing is that what it will take to trade him and that might not be enough. Maybe the knicks might want him. Or at least that might have been true before Phil Jackson arrived. The only way you dump lin is if you take back a terrible contract. You might even have to take back more years. And it will for sure have to be for more salary than Lin's 8mil salary hit. Because Lin will make 15 mil.

I can see a team who is over the salary and has a player on the team that is making more than 8 mil and if we are willing to take on the added salary than they do it because they save lux tax money which might make the money right. Now find a team that matches that scenario. The knicks and stoudemire. Who else.

I am sure Morey will do his best to find something but it is not an easy task.

9. hotpotato

hotpotato Member

no matter. still earns $15,000,000.

I would be retiring now if I got even 1 mil.

10. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

In 10 years people will look back at the rockets not resigning Goron Dragic like they do the Mavs not resigning Steve Nash.

11. theglyde1121

theglyde1121 Member

If Lin won't be back next season, then Harden won't. This is stupid to say they will cut him based off one play.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

I hate to say it, but getting rid of Lin doesn't really help our situation next year. Getting rid of line LAST offseason would've been amazing though. Too bad the Rockets still thought he was useful and could be a decent rotation player.

The Rockets will save $8.3mil in capspace if they release Lin. The problem is, they're going to be roughly $3mil OVER the cap once they pick up Beverley's contract. Which makes it a net savings of roughly $5mil or equivalent of MLE that they'll receive by being over the cap. In addition, getting rid of Lin will necessitate us adding a 1st round pick at least. So getting rid of Lin doesn't help the Rockets at all.

Now, getting rid of Lin AND Asik for no capspace in return, that's a totally different story. But other than Melo and the unlikelihood of the Miami trio, who's worth spending money on in the offseason anyway?

13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Releasing them doesn't take them off the cap. Not at all. Nada zilch zero cap relief.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Who said it's based off one play?

1 person likes this.
  15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I'd spend it on Lowry and send Mchale off with Lin, Lowry would be perfect for this team, very good defender, low usage, good 3pt shooter, incredibly good a:t rate

16. Dabeezneez

Dabeezneez Member

I feel like lins gonna need to get himself some goons for protection...

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

I've always thought this was understood by most fans that NBA contracts are guaranteed, and therefore getting rid of a player means trading them and not cut them.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

The way Lowry dealt with the situation towards the end of his time here really soured me on him. I don't disagree that in terms of talent, I'm very willing to offer him something like a 4yr/$40mil contract(that might not be enough though). But I'm hesitant of players who pout every time things don't go their way.

Also his age scares me a bit for a guy who takes so much punishment.

19. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Yeah he is gone. Ship him to Utah or someone with a ton of cap who is tanking and needs salary for the minimum threshold.

20. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Knowing our luck, he'd probably randomly become a superstar wherever he goes loool