1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin will average nearly nine assists per game if he is the starter and doesn't get hurt

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by garfangle, Jul 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. JD88

JD88 Member

If Lin can knock down the spot up 3, thats all is needed of him. Drive when Harden is tired, dish when he gets cut off, find the open man, and knock down the 3.

If he shoots 38% from deep next season, he will continue to start.

2. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Rajon Rondo and Chris Paul will be the only players in the NBA who average 9 assists per game next year.

3. rokit

rokit Member

Jrue Holiday

4. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

Thanks, I appreciate that :)

5. Star

Star Member

Good to see many fans here have realistic and positive expectation of Lin.

6. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Sir, I will quote a very wise poster here that should temper what you said as quoted above:

"trying to predict stats of LIN this year is absurd because the roster addition of Dwight and the composition of roster is different."

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

More important. How many rebound Lin have now? Dwight rebound good, but as Morley know when he poison pill lin, Lin very well rebound. I think Lin rebound 8 per game.

Go Lin! Go rockets.

8. wokdwok

wokdwok Member

Lin vs Nash early yrs

Many of the C-fans are just so critical and impatient with JLin's production, why?
    Obviously he ain't MJ or Dream, but cut him some slack! Reminds me of Nash in his first years, up and down (so-so stats),not well received by the Dallas fans either. After years of hard work, HOF! This is directed to the average C-fan, not the LOH's who insistently show their hate and ignorance!

9. Star

Star Member

Don't worry, 99 % of the fans here hope Lin plays well.

Only the vocal minority are blind haters. It's very easy to identify them :grin:

Just ignore them when you see them. :cool:

10. yakitori

yakitori Contributing Member

I like this prediction.

I'll tweak it a bit and say 11 points, 7.5 assists, 1.8 steals, 46% FG, 36% 3PT

I just don't see him increasing his ppg with howard coming in. He's going to avg 18-20 ppg and his points have to come from somewhere. I see Harden and Lin having lower ppg next season. Chandler is also going to play a bigger part of the offense IMO. I would guess his ppg would stay the same or increase.

I definitely can see Lin improving his FG% and 3PT% with lower TO's. Assists should go up but 9 is reaching. Only 3 players in the league averaged 9 or more assists last season. (rondo, paul, vasquez) All 3 players had teams where the offense ran through them. Then there is a huge dropoff to 4th place with 8.0 assists a game. (Holiday)

At 7.5 assists, Lin would be in the top 10 with Parker, Westbrook, Dragic, and Jameer Nelson. That would still be fantastic.

11. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

And if he doesn't, then Bev will start over him? I love how so many people on this thread think that Lin is neck and neck with Bev. Lin is a much better all around PG. Even if he doesn't shoot 38% from deep (which i do think he will), he still won't lose his starting spot unless he's hurt or he literally regresses substantially, which is highly unlikely. I like Bev, and think he should and will get solid and extended minutes, but people act as if the battle right now is so close that Lin could easily lose his starting spot.

12. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

You're right and I wouldn't be surprised if his scoring drops but considering he averaged 13.4 ppg which included those atrocious first 2 months I'm gonna say he averages somewhere between 13-14 ppg just because he was at 15 ppg post all star and 17 ppg in April. And i doubt he'll start off badly like he did this past year. So anywhere between 13-14 ppg and 7-8 apg seems right.

But really you can't really predict what numbers he'll put up because it's all about the pace the team plays at and what role he plays. But if I had to make an estimate that's what I would say.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Don't really care about assists for one player. Never understood the fascination with that metric. I'd rather look at team assists. If one player is getting an unusually large amount of assists, to me that's probably more bad than good. It just means he's dominating the ball.

14. yakitori

yakitori Contributing Member

You're totally right. A lot of it depends on the pace and style. I'm making the assumption that the Rockets will play a LITTLE slower, with a lot of the offense going through Howard. I don't think anyone is going to assume we'll play any faster. :p

I would love for Lin to average 13-14. My prediction of 11 ppg will probably go out the window after watching the Rox play 2 or so games.

15. kumakun

kumakun Member

I don't care if Lin gets 20pts or 10 ppg I rather see Lin score 0 and have 20 assists and win than scoring 30 and losing. I want them to play happy, play in a Linsane team oriented club, support each and everyone on the team and build great chemistry.

16. zdrav

zdrav Member

Yeah, remember that Lin will be a 4th option (maybe a 3rd option if Parsons is on a cold streak) on this current squad.

I think what will be important for Lin is to takeover when he needs to (superstars are injured, slumping, or being shut down). He may average "only" 14 points a season, but if he can reliably step up with semi-Linsanity games when his team needs him to, then he'll become indispensible.

1 person likes this.
  17. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

saying decline is not giving out an absolute figure like 9 assists. decline is < what he produced last year

18. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

rather than absolute stats we should be concerned with how many wins does LIN contribute to.

#98 benchmoochie, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  19. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

Lin needs to be on the floor when Harden is off...McHale tried this last year, and I thought it was going well, but then he stopped doing this for some reason...made no sense to me. An Harden should only be playing 38min/gm max...he throws his body around way too much to safely play more minutes...

20. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

[​IMG][/url]via Imgflip Meme Maker[/IMG]