1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin vs Rubio : Who will live up to the hype?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 8, 2012.

?

Back-caught you lookin' for the same thing

1. Lin -All the jealous punks can't stop the dunk

76 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. Rubio -So here it is again, another def jam

71 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. Lin -Don't believe the hype

11 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Rubio -Don't believe the hype

6 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Clear all the madness, I'm not a racist

37 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lololol

2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I don't understand what you are shaking your head at...

3. ebatinga

ebatinga Member

This is a tough one to analyze....if we were talking about Rubio pre knee injury, I would say Rubio...part of the reason because of the system he plays in under Adelman and part of it his natural God given talent with his ability to see a play develop before it actually happens...but after the knee injury it's hard to say....with him being as young as he is, I say he has a good shot at being better assuming he recovers 100%, but those knee injuries are tough to come back from at 100%...

Also, it will be interesting to see how Lin does under McHale's system. I'm also interested to see how he will blend in with the rookies (assuming we don't get Howard)...I think from a shooting perspective, Lin is better. Lin struggled a little bit with the return of Anthony and the coaching change from D'Antoni to Woodson and let's face it, the Knicks had better players (Stoudemire/Anthony). We've seen Lin carry a team on his shoulders (albeit with a smaller sample of games) and if he can do it here in Houston.

Rubio has had more playing experience (overseas in Spain and in international competition), while Lin has had very little experience...

I say Rubio, but I definitely think Lin has more upside...only time will tell...

4. jvu

jvu Member

Morey is smart. The funny thing is. Morey signed Lin to a magnificent 3 yr deal. If he doesn't pan out. He may entice Rubio to come to Houston. I still believe Rubio will be sought after his contract runs dry in 3 years. Morey put the rockets in a great situation by doing all this including the rookies, trades, small contracts, etc.

5. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

The condensed schedule was unfortunate. We saw lots of young players go down: Rose, Rubio, Shump, Lin, among others. Griffin as well in the offseason.

6. Omron

Omron Member

Remember Jason Williams, the White Chocolate?
    He took the league by storm with his Pistol Pete comparisons and amazing passing ability.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y615OnHyzs
    Look at his FG%. It never made a big improvement from his rookie year. Hopefully, Rubio's career trajectory is much better than his. It is concerning though that he's been playing pro ball since he was a teenager and he hasn't worked on his body nor his shooting. He's got a lot of natural talent but I don't think he can ever outwork the Lin kid. We'll see if natural talent beats hard work in the long run.

7. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Another false dichotomy.

8. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

Rubio has a lot more substance to his game than Jason Williams.

I don't know what Rubio's injury history is like, but if its his first major one it could be the kick he needs to get in the gym and develop his body.

9. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Lin has a more consistent FG% while Rubio is a better passer. Haven't really followed Rubio as much but it does seem like he has a bright future ahead of him. He can always become more efficient on his jumpshots but Rubio's going to have to pick up his FG% to become an elite PG. Won't matter if he's dishing out 10+ assists if his FG% is only 35%.

From what I've seen though I'd rate Rubio higher on defense but I haven't seen enough of either of them to really have a good comparison.

10. ejarts

ejarts Member

Lin already beat Rubio last year.

11. JMG524

JMG524 Member

I'd say Lin due to the fact that he is more of a natural floor general and seems to be mentally tougher than Rubio, who's been known to choke or disappear on more than one occasion in clutch moments. Throughout his career Lin has led his teams to overachieve on almost every level he's played in. In addition, I also believe Lin is a more well-rounded player and selfless teammate.

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Some of the responses in this thread lead me to believe that people weren't watching many twolves games last year before rubio was injured. Pretty funny actually.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

Both have already proved they are for real. Both have room for improvement. Both are good in different ways.

1 person likes this.
  14. Arthurprescott2

I only wish Lin had the kind of handle that Rubio or Rondo has. Beautiful to watch.

15. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Comparing Rubio to Jason Williams and acting like Rubio doesn't work hard. Smfh. Yes Lin is the only hard worker in the nba. :rolleyes:

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

I find these kind of comparisons silly. People like to make reference to Flip Murray and Darren Collison in regards to Lin. They both have tons of potential.

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

what the hell does this have to do with Vernon Maxwell. Lin going to Jail or something?

18. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

OP made stupid answer choices. First of all, there's no "Both" option. Secondly, what's the diff between 1 & 2 and 3 & 4?

Most white guys will go for Rubio because he's more "proven" and has higher "potential" because he's younger. But they will also choose Dragic over Lin even though Lin is younger. Being white means you get bonus points when being judged.

19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

but he's hip hop and cool
    likes to kick stone age old school.
    stanley hammer, that bro is a tool.
    look in the toilet, i see tinman as my stool.

this is basketball, when do white folks get a pass? White folks have to work hard. Asian folks will have to work even harder.

20. Omron

Omron Member

It's called frame of reference and NBA scouts use the same method. Without it, every player has the potential to be Michael Jordan.