1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin vs Rubio : Who will live up to the hype?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 8, 2012.

?

Back-caught you lookin' for the same thing

1. Lin -All the jealous punks can't stop the dunk

76 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. Rubio -So here it is again, another def jam

71 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. Lin -Don't believe the hype

11 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Rubio -Don't believe the hype

6 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Clear all the madness, I'm not a racist

37 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

I like them both and hope they do well; they'll both be good, better than Wall imo.

Hardly anyone lives up to hype

2. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

thread saved

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HMigfitM7FE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. BornTexan

BornTexan Rookie

And you are black.

4. roxxy

roxxy Member

What...

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. I don't think he's a liability at all on offense. based on Rick Adelman's offense, he's going to find the open guy or run a play that will. It's not like an ISO offense or just a two man pick and roll.

2. Lin's ball handling is the main skill that fans will concentrate on this year. Can't afford too many turnovers if the team is a young team.

6. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

what i tried to say, he's great, but hype has been insane. 5 years ago, everyone expected Rubio to be the greatest Euro player ever.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

The quote is from Public Enemy's song "Don't believe the Hype"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Believe_the_Hype

"Don't Believe the Hype" is the second single of Public Enemy's second album, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back. The song's lyrics are mostly about the political issues that were current in the U.S. at the time of its release. "Don't Believe the Hype" charted at number 18 on the U.S. R&B chart.

The current members are

Chuck D

[​IMG]

Flavor Flav
    [​IMG]

The late 80s and early 90s were an incredible time for Hip Hop music.
    I suggest you listen to some of the songs and you will be enlightened.

yeahhhh boyeeee

8. WNBA

WNBA Member

Whats the hype for Lin?

50% of the people think he is only an overpaid bench player.

9. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Tinmac should be banned for trying to compare Lin's potential to Ricky's, who is one of the most talented players in the world

10. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

There is no hype on Rubio. He proved his worth already. As soon as he went down his team was no longer in the playoff hunt. With him healthy they would have been an 8 seed. He is and will continue to be the better of the 2.

11. sidestep

sidestep Member

I doubt Lin will ever surpass Rubio in ball handling and fancy passing. But I value Lin's ability to penetrate more, as it really opens his game and others' opportunities. And Lin's ability to consistently get to the free throw line is a big advantage. Lin averaged close to 10 FTA per game.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

dude you are always making me laugh, I liked how you guaranteed McGrady was going to make the 2nd round last year!

This is actually a good comparison based on hype, as your comparisons of say Kobe vs your favorite player.

But since I gave you all a little something
    That we knew you lacked
    They still consider me a new jack

13. tinman

Supporting Member

That's an interesting perspective. If you are noticing, there's a giant influx of Lin fans on this board, they might be biased, hopeful, or even delusional.

So I expect a close poll. Just like when Yao fans came here, they believed he would be better than Hakeem.

And just like .. McGrady fans. I think they believed he was some type of Kobe Bryant.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

shhhh. tinman is on a roll.

15. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Some of you overlooked the fact that Rubio has been a pro since 15. If he could fix his shots he would have done that already.

Lin's hyped? You guys can't differentiate over-exposure and hype can you?
    Lin was undrafted, cut twice. Took a dismantle knicks team on his shoulder to make the playoffs but didn't even get an initial offer from the Knicks. hes played 35 something games as a starter, helped the Knicks to win 58% of them and there are still many people see him as a backup point guard.

He's turnover was taken out of context and exaggerated by haters and doubters.

Hell, even most of the people on this board are being skeptical.

I meant, where's the ****ing hype? Did any of the media call him Jason Kidd? Nash? Pisto Pete? Did any of us say things like "sky is the ceiling" before he broke out?

Some of you guys are simply pathetic, you compared the hype between Rubio and Lin while Lin hardly had any. Go **** yourselves.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

there's an option called "Don't believe the hype"

BOYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Lin was better last year.

Sure, he only played 35 games, but Rubio only played 41. They are only 2 years apart.

Lin will always be the better scorer. Can Rubio's defense and passing overcome that advantage?

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Wicky Wubio, no doubt.

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Where's the option for Kyrie Irving: don't believe the hype?

He turns the ball over as much as Lin, and only had a puny 11 game sample size in college. Upside probably good, not great. Overpaid at rookie scale $5M a year. Too unproven.

Am I doing it right, guys?

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

I was going to go with Ricky "another def jam" Rubio but then I asked myself; what would Jeremy "can't stop the dunk" Lin do with Kevin Love and Derrick Williams? He accomplished what he did with Tyson Chandler and Steve Novak.

Now i'm not sure.