1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin-sanity on NBA TV all weekend! How do we stack up to that team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by woodtee, Aug 4, 2012.

1. woodtee

woodtee Member

Watching replays of Jeremy Lin's best games marathoning on NBA TV right now til tomorrow and seeing NYK beating Kobe and the Lakers gets me wondering. Can we actually be a much better team (currently constructed) than most of the national and local media project?

Really, that Knicks team was a terrible team b4 Lin and he single handedly turned them around with a buncha scrub players and one 7-ft defensive center. That Knicks team wasn't known as defensive juggernauts either, just Lin's presence brought out the youthful enthusiasm on defense. No stud scorers there either.

NYK vs HOU lineup:

1. PG: Lin vs Lin - a year older, a year wiser. As hard a worker Lin is, I see him getting better as he ages. He knows his weaknesses are his left hand & turnovers (which he has already said he's working on). Ppl say teams will figure him out, but he still shredded great teams like the Lakers and Mavs even when they knew he was the one to stop. Yes, MIA stopped him but they made a huge concerted effort to stop this one man. That says a lot right there. Many don't believe he is fur real, but watching these replays show that he really IS pretty good.
    (Advantage: Houston?)

2. Landry Fields vs Chandler Parsons - both are good friends with Lin and will probably be his wingman (Robin to his Batman). I can see Mad Chicken developing mad chemistry with Lin bc of their friendship, much like Fields had but maybe even better bc they will have years together instead of just a couple of months. (Advantage: Even)

3. Iman Shumpert vs Jeremy Lamb - I know both of these guys are most likely just backups, but Shumpert had a significant role during Linsanity and he's better known than Billy Walker. Lamb most likely will be coming off the bench too unless Kmart gets traded soon, but I see these 2 players being more significant on a Lin-lead team. Shumperts decent but Lamb has much more upside and I believe will make a much bigger impact overall for obvious reasons.
    (Advantage: Houston)

4. Jared Jeffries vs Terrence Jones (or DMo/Royce) - whoever we start at PF will easily be better than JJ. I like TJo most at starting PF with DMo rotating in. Don't need to say much here.

5. Tyson Chandler vs Omer Asik - here's the one clear advantage for the Knicks, but both can perform similar roles. Both are strongest defensively and in rebounding and limited offensively. Tyson scores mostly on dunks and pick & roles, and Omer can dunk and set screens too.
    (Advantage: New York)

6. Steve Novak vs Kevin Martin - I used these two as instant offense off the bench (even though Kmart will probably start). I'm hoping for we go young bc Kmart would be great instant offense off the bench! Both are good outside shooters but that's about it. Kmart is clearly better, though.

I'm not saying Linsanity 2 will happen in Houston, but I am definitely hopeful. The biggest advantage we have is we DON'T have a selfish superstar to come in and ruin things!

... However, if D12 comes, I may have to rescind that statement :)

Any thoughts?

2. devin23

devin23 Member

good comparison. Only time will tell. I definintly would not be surprised if we have a winning records at home as long as RedNation brings half the support that MSG did at home court.

3. nono

nono Member

Chandler Parsons is much better than Landry Fields in my opinion. Parsons is almost elite defense. Landry's defense is very suspect. Landry's jumper is also completely broken making him more limited offensively as well.

4. roxxy

roxxy Member

Something a lot of people are forgetting is that Lin wasn't thoroughly scouted until after the All Star Break. His first game back was the Cavs game. So no Linsanity 2.0 won't happen again. He did continue to put up solid numbers and was quite consistent afterwards (18 & 8) as opposed to like 20 & 10. But it won't happen again because he won't be able to ambush teams like he did prior to the all star break.

1 person likes this.
  5. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

You're not considering defense. Tyson, JJ, and Iman have staked a career is shut-down defense. Who on the Rockets' team do we have that can play defense?

Also, you're putting too much faith in Jeremy Lamb, especially because he hasn't stepped onto an NBA court yet. Considering Shumpert guards the likes of Derrick Rose, Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, are you saying Jeremy Lamb would win that matchup?

Same thing with JJ. Jeffries was the leading player in drawing charges last year. Against a rookie in Terrance Jones, he would have no problem pushing the right buttons to have Jones sitting on the bench in 5 minutes.

I only see K-Mart and current-Jeremy Lin outplaying their positions. It's kind of silly giving a matchup to unproven rookies, no matter what you think of their potential.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

And this is why he's worth the money to Leslie.

7. woodtee

woodtee Member

You have a good point about putting too much faith in these rookies, but this Linsanity Knicks team was full of you g unproven players. You really can't say that JJ, Iman, Fields, Novak are great players or even "good" --- as a team (pre-Lin) they were absolutely TERRIBLE! The Lin-factor was HUGE!!!

I know they are rooks but in time, don't you see there's a possibilty of some real exciting basketball with our young team? (considering what Lin did with the rag-tag bunch he had in NY?)

8. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

asik, parsons

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

There were also a lot of changes happening in rapid fire. Stoudemire and then Melo coming back, coaching change, and then Lin was injured before he stopped playing. (He tried to play through injury for some number of games.)

All of that said, who here wouldn't be happy with 18 and 8?

10. Screw

Screw Member

Loving his game against Minny

11. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

I admire your optimism and I do agree with your opinion that Lin will be a good player for us. But, like Chocobofreak said, I think you may be discounting the defensive end. Iman might not be the offensive player that Lamb is, but I watched a lot of Knicks games last year and he is no slouch on the offensive end and he is an already elite defender. I give an edge to the Knicks in that matchup. And as much of an inept offensive option that Jeffries is, he still is an elite defender and a great hustle player.

Another major thing to keep in mind is that because most of the Knicks players such as Chandler, Jeffries, and Shumpert focus all their energy on the defensive end, it allows Lin to expend all his focus on creating for himself and for others. Similar to the 2000 Sixers when it was just Iverson and 4 defensive stoppers, it was easy for the players to fit with each other on the floor. It still remains to be seen if the play styles of Lamb, T. Jones, Martin, etc can fit with Lin being the sole playmaker on the team. Also, I can see that lineup easily giving up 100 ppg.

12. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

Jared Jeffries is good at D, not ELITE.

13. ken819

ken819 New Member

JJ's D is ok but it's his hustle and the way he took those charges really inspired them to play better.

14. fogo18182028

fogo18182028 Member

You forgot Steve Novak had a significant role during Linsanity

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Agreed, Knicks fans often overrated him. I remember watching him as a Rocket, I was not that impressed with his defense. Chuckwagon was the better option as a center, and he was 6 inches shorter.

Jeffries was the only other competent defender on a team with terrible defenders other than Chandler and maybe Shumpert. Melo and Stoudemire were terrible, Novak is terrible, etc...

16. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

The player's exp and salary will give people an idea the Knicks core players during Linsanity:

Player..years....salary(millions)
    Lin........2.......0.76 (waiver on min)
    Field......2.......0.76
    Shump...R.......1.56
    JJ..........9.......0.84 (vet min)
    TC.......10.......13.1
    Novak...7........0.84 (waiver on vet min)
    Walker...3.......0.88 (waived this year)

The 7 rotational players combined salary was about the same as Stat or Melo. Outside of Tyson Chandler, six players made 5.6 million for an average of less than 1 million/year. It cost less than 20 million to assemble that lineup.

On paper, every team Knicks played against during Linsanity had a better lineup.

Yes, Rockets have a better lineup too.

17. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Well one thing is that Chandler Parsons is kind of like Landry Fields in the way they play but I think Parsons is a better player so he should get along well with Lin.

18. woodtee

woodtee Member

Thank you for that!!! that proves my point exactly! Most all these players became overrated during Linsanity. Before that stretch run, no one EVER considered JJ an "elite" anything. They were all dime-a-dozen role players and if that's what the Rox need, Morey can acquire those in a snap of a finger. In fact, we could pick up many of those guys off waivers right now if we wanted to. However, they probably wouldn't even make the team.

I'm not saying we are awesome as constructed, I'm saying that Knicks lineup IS NOT special (without Lin, that is).

19. dialtone888

dialtone888 Rookie

That is why Linsainty began in the 1st place, ppl do know what they saw.
    And who started the Linsanity? It's not the media, it's the NYK fans that were at the Feb 4 NNK vs NYN game, the media just hyped what the public wanted.

20. dialtone888

dialtone888 Rookie

Lin knows exactly who is a TEAM player and he's close friends with those kinds.
    And he will approach them directly.