1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. jackjax

jackjax Member

I am too, first Nets fans and have seen Rondo not shoot even if open just to pad his assist stats. And what will Rondo do playing with Harden? Camp to the corner and wait? He can't shoot! I really cannot fathom Rondo and Harden unless one will change. Obviously not Harden, this is the reason why Lin worked hard on his shooting in the of-season. This is Harden's team, only LBJ can make him accept change (Wade did it).

2. allaroundplayer

Jan 16
    8:46 AM ET
    By Nick Borges | ESPN.com

The Houston Rockets have been without point guard Patrick Beverley since Dec. 21 when he fractured his right hand. Beverley's rehab is going well and he should be available for game action in the near future.

“I went to the doctor (on Monday) and he said I’ll be back very soon,” Beverley told SportsTalk 790. “I’m playing before the 22nd, so that’s good news. I’m pretty excited about that."

The Rockets play Portland on Monday (Jan. 20) and Sacramento on Wednesday (Jan. 22), so one of those could be his first game back. Beverley was the starting point guard when he broke the hand, however when he returns the spot will probably stay with Jeremy Lin.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/

3. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

I can agree with that. I'm not opposed to benching Lin or giving him less playing time if the situation dictates, but it really does look like the team just runs smoother with Lin. (Lack of a better term I guess)

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I think they can make it work. They won a ring with Pierce and he was a ball dominant player as well who was willing to defer some to Rondo. Harden wants to win and he would respect adding a star at PG imo

#1244 King1, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  5. Razsan

Razsan Member

I think that part of the core of the team has been now been together for a year. Parsons is playing VERY well and TJones is an emerging stud. Last year the Rockets had no idea what kind of team they were and are starting to formulate an identity. They went 23-15 to end last season after starting 22-22, so I'd say the trend was upward.

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Dwight Howard's career numbers are :
    18.3 pts
    12.9 reb
    2.2 blk
    .575 FT%
    .578 FG%

Are you shocked that he's averaging:

18.2 pts
    12.7 reb
    1.8 blk
    .532 FT%
    .580 FG%

He's right at every career number. What exactly were you expecting?

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

People were hopeful his performance would be closer to his prime Orlando years, rather than to last year. At least it's somewhere in between.

8. yummyhawtsauce

can anyone tell me is lin still top for drives ppg? in the past 2 games he has been getting to the rim like crazy, what are his stats now
    ?

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Using lineup data is not bending facts. The value of it was never called into question by the OKC data. What that called into question was if OKC's performance suffers by Westbrook taking shots away from Durant who is a much better player. The same thing is in question here. Lin is taking the ball out of Harden's hands and it hurts the team.

The facts are that the starting lineup has performed better with Beverley in it both offensively and defensively, despite Lin supposedly being a better player.

If your primary goal is to have the Rockets perform as well as possible, the stats support Beverley starting.

10. Crunchyball

Crunchyball Rookie

Dunno man I hate lin fans like u also but the brother has been fittin quite nicely since moving back to starter. We'll one thing maybe bev has an edge is offensive rebounds.

11. Razsan

Razsan Member

He was paid based on being a 20, 14 guy and his defense is either overrated or has declined. You're missing my point though. the premise was that at an 8 million/year cap hit, Lin was not playing up to his contract. Howard's is 22 Million, nearly triple Asik's...was that really a good value??? The answer really is if that money brings a championship.

12. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I am actually in favor of Bev coming off the bench. I just don't think it's fair to simply make up stats in an attempt to bash another player, which is why I provided you with the link.

ETA: Lin had a 0 for 5 game himself, and several games this season with just 1 assist. I wouldn't use those isolated instances to suggest he is a bad player, which was the tone of your post re: Bev. Everybody could stand to be a little more objective when it comes to this topic, IMO. Both of them are inconsistent. Yet both of them are valuable to the team.

13. Indaface

Indaface Member

Lin is a better overall player than Bev

Bev should still start because he provides better defense and can keep this team from having slow starts

Lin is best when he attacks the rim and is aggressive

With Harden and Dwight both out there starting it's best for Lin to use his skills off the bench so he can be a creator

We have no bench creators, Morey and McHale know this so they put Lin as the 6th man. Lin should still be in there to close out games (with Bev) because his offense is important to have at the end.

14. aelliott

Those were his career averages that I posted, not LA numbers. He's right at his career averages in almost every category.

15. Razsan

Razsan Member

I think he knows that...his point was that he is at the same numbers as his LA year NOT the great Orlando years of 20+ and 14 (4 times)

16. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Lol @ this

17. Play07

Play07 Member

bev playing more mins than lin doesn’t make sense. but even if you have bev with lin closing out games.. you wouldn’t have jones running the floor, rebounding and his defense at the 4 because he would be on the bench. & if were playing against a solid 3 who would hold him in the 4th harden? Because parsons would be at the 4.

If I was the coach "without bench help" I would start bev have lin (30-34mins) as the 6th man off the bench punch & backing up harden, then in the 4th hit them with both lin and harden attacking & running p&r with howard for the knockout.

“If we get bench help” then I would look in to starting lin and continuing to develop chemistry with dwight for the playoffs. Harden as the main playmaker trying to do everything in the playoffs will not get us far when coaches make adjustments before the series and after every game.

18. WaitForIt

WaitForIt Member

Maybe initially Lin will stay the starter until Bev gets back into the flow of things. I'm just looking forward to a healthy Lin and Bev back on the court together with Bev being the PG and Lin being the SG. Best rotation would be Lin and Harden start, Bev subbed in for Lin, Lin subbed in for Harden, Harden back in for Bev, end of half. Or put all three in with Parsons and Dwight for small ball.

19. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Very interesting, do you have the links to those stats?

20. aelliott

Says who?

Show me anywhere that Morey or anyone from the Rockets said that they were expecting 20/14. Those were the best numbers that he ever put up on an Orlando team totally centered around him. Is it really that big of a deal that he's averaging 1.9 pts and 1.3 rebounds less than his career best when he's playing on a very talented roster and taking a couple of less shots per game than he did in his best ORL years?

Last season the Rockets were #17 in defensive efficiency. This season they are #10. Who do you think is responsible for that improvement?

All you have to do is to watch the game to see the difference. Teams could just ignore Asik but they are forced to double Howard. Huge difference.

When Miami signed Chris Bosh he was coming off of a 24 pt/10.8 reb season. Do you think that Miami expected those numbers of Bosh? Miami paid Bosh $15M which was over triple what they were paying Michael Beasley in the prior season. That first season Bosh averaged 18.7 pts/ 8.3 rebounds which was only a slight improvement over the 14.8 pts / 6.4 reb that Beasley had put up the prior year. Do you think Miami thought that Bosh wasn't a good value?